Penguin II and CCC2 thermostat install questions
I am installing a penguin II AC with CCC2 thermostat and have some questions.
1. The CCC2 thermostat requires a telephone cable to connect the AC unit to the thermostat. I purchased this telephone cable and it is made like picture that has the "crossed out" marker (see picture). So it appears I need to cut the cable and flip around one connector - is this correct? What kind of crimping tool do I need to do this?
2. Instructions do not include any 12V supply to the thermostat, so I assume it gets power from this telephone cable?
3. There is a 12V connection (in addition to 120V) to the AC; what does the 12V power supply? Maybe the thermostat?
Thanks for any help.
Yes, you do need to change the cable the way you describe. I suppose you could do it simly by cutting the cable and reversing all the wire connections, but easiest is to just buy the phone connectors and the crimping tool that is used with them - that is what I did.
You should be able to get the connectors and crimping tool made especially for the phone connectors from a place such as Radio Shack or similar - or order on Ebay /Amazon. The tool is inexpensive and very easy to use. It strips the cable and crimps the connector on. Mine was less than $10.
"Lewster" was very helpul to me on this subject!
There is no connection to the thermostat other than this "phone" connector, so I am sure you are right in assuming it gets it's 12v via that cable.
I'm not sure as to your question #3 as I have not been into that aspect of the wiring, but I am thinking that most likely you only need to supply 110VAC and that the control board of the air conditioner then provides the 12v control voltage. No guarantees on that - just my best guess!
You can buy a crimping tool and supplies for the required RJ-11 jack at any big box home improvement store like Lowes or Home Depot. Many Ace Hardware stores also carry them.
As for your questions:
1. See the above answer and yes, you MUST remove one end of a phone cable and reverse it to make it a 'data' cable compatible with Dometic's wiring requirements.
2. You will need a 12VDC connection AT the A/C unit. There will be a red and black wire, along with 2 blue wires and 2 yellow wires. The red/black are for your 12VDC power input. The CCC-II gets it's power thru the data cable. The 2 blue wires are for your furnace connection and the yellows are for a load shed device which you won't be using.
3. Answered in #2
You can use either RJ-11 union (found at the end of the black data cables leading to the relay control board) as input for the CCC-II as they both terminate in the same location on the control board.
Any other questions??? :brows:
Awesome - thank you all so much - will get going on this.
penguin II AC , need help figuring out the wiring
I have installed a penguin II AC unit and having a hard time figuring out how to wire the roof top unit to the air distribution box, the lower part that has the controls. The penguin II model number is 641816C751C0, it the high output model. Looking up at the installed AC unit, there are wires hanging down through the return air duct. Three of the wires black, white and yellow/green are within a metal receptacle can. These look to be where the 120 volt Romex from the breaker panel go to power the AC unit. Then there is two small white wires with a plug at then end. Next two telephone type wires with plugs on the end of them. Next Two yellow, two blue, red and black wires . Ok that's all of the wires hanging down from the AC unit.
The lower unit ( ceiling unit ) is also a Dometic penguin, model number 3310741.061
This unit has a white wire, black wire, yellow/green wire. There is also a a six wire socket with yellow, white, red, blue and black wires.
Reading the installation instructions -
For the roof top unit you are told to route the black, white and yellow/green wires with the can that they are in to the outside of the 14x14 opening and fasten it to the framing and to connect your 120 volt power supply to it. After that it starts to get a bit confusing. Where do the rest of the wires go ?
The ceiling unit instructions just say to plug the wires from the upper unit into it and to route the 120 volt power supply into the 14x14 opening and connect to the white, black and yellow/green wires.
So just not sure what gos where, any help out there ?
One more thing, I do not have a wall thermostat do I need one for this unit ? was just planing on using the controls on the ceiling unit. And this will be the only AC unit in the Airstream.
|All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:06 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.