Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Buyer Guidelines (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/)
-   -   Inspection needed for Airstream At Dealer? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f353/inspection-needed-for-airstream-at-dealer-164766.html)

RJJ 04-02-2017 11:41 AM

Inspection needed for Airstream At Dealer?
 
Hi,

I'm looking at buying an Airstream from an Airstream dealer in a state other than mine. This is my first Airstream and first out of state, long distance transaction of this size. $$$

I've read many of the posts from others making their first purchase and understand long distance purchases can be complicated. I've also read many posts from members looking for inspectors but didn't get the response they were looking for. I've contacted 2 from the member list and I haven't gotten any responses either. :huh:

With that said, since I am working with an Airstream dealership, do I need an independent inspector? I ask because I can't visit in person before the final agreement. Can I place trust in the salesman of this dealership to oversee all that is needed before I take delivery? I do intend to go to the dealership for the walk-through just before the final payment and delivery.

Thanks in advance.

FCStreamer 04-02-2017 12:03 PM

There should be a level of trust when dealing with an Airstream dealership, but I would not buy until I've had a chance to see it myself. Take a checklist and plan on spending a couple of hours looking it over.

Even if everything looks good, there's always a chance something breaks after you've brought it home. Don't be surprised. It happens. Enjoy your new purchase and have a plan to have someone service your trailer at your home site.

RJJ 04-02-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCStreamer (Post 1930880)
There should be a level of trust when dealing with an Airstream dealership, but I would not buy until I've had a chance to see it myself. Take a checklist and plan on spending a couple of hours looking it over.

Even if everything looks good, there's always a chance something breaks after you've brought it home. Don't be surprised. It happens. Enjoy your new purchase and have a plan to have someone service your trailer at your home site.

Thank you FCStreamer! That is the answer I was looking for.

I see you live in Tampa. Did you buy your FC from a local dealer? I ask because I've read so many complaints about dealers not wanting to service trailers not purchased from them. Do you have any insite on the more reputable dealers and trailer service centers in the Tampa Bay area?

Thanks, again for your response. :)

OTRA15 04-02-2017 03:09 PM

You will get better feedback if you tell us the dealer name. You can use the search box above to do your own research for other threads here which mention the dealer. They vary widely IMO.

As I recall FCStreamer went up north to get his AS, and his many threads are an informative read for your road ahead IMO.

He went to Colonial in NJ a dealer with a good reputation.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1785476

Their blog is linked in his signature.

Good luck!

AWCHIEF 04-02-2017 03:27 PM

OP, is this a new or preowned unit? Either way the dealer should be using a formal inspection checklist to go over the trailer prior to sale. I would go over the trailer myself with their tech checklist in hand. If new I would not sign anything or hand over a check until the trailer is 100% to MY satisfaction. If used you have to use your best judgement and what defects are you willing to live with. I would certainly not buy sight unseen. I trust no one when it comes to money.

FCStreamer 04-02-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJJ (Post 1930910)
Thank you FCStreamer! That is the answer I was looking for.

I see you live in Tampa. Did you buy your FC from a local dealer? I ask because I've read so many complaints about dealers not wanting to service trailers not purchased from them. Do you have any insite on the more reputable dealers and trailer service centers in the Tampa Bay area?

Thanks, again for your response. :)

I bought mine from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey.

Yes, I drove 1200 miles to pick it up and pulled it all the way down to Florida.

I haven't needed any major service. A couple of things I needed fixed I called a local mobile RV repair shop (Stewart's Village) and they have so far been aces. Fixed everything and at a reasonable price, and they came to where I keep the trailer.

I hear good things about the local Tampa Airstream dealers but I myself have not tested any of them, so I can't comment further.

RJJ 04-02-2017 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OTRA15 (Post 1930975)
You will get better feedback if you tell us the dealer name. You can use the search box above to do your own research for other threads here which mention the dealer. They vary widely IMO.

As I recall FCStreamer went up north to get his AS, and his many threads are an informative read for your road ahead IMO.

He went to Colonial in NJ a dealer with a good reputation.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...ml#post1785476

Their blog is linked in his signature.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info - I saw the link almost a soon as he posted it and went immediately to read his blog. Good information there and he is an amiable guy. Learned of the ProvenLock from him and I put it on my list!!

I wanted to buy from Colonial because of their great trailer videos on youtube, but that didn't work out.

RJJ 04-02-2017 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 1930983)
OP, is this a new or preowned unit? Either way the dealer should be using a formal inspection checklist to go over the trailer prior to sale. I would go over the trailer myself with their tech checklist in hand. If new I would not sign anything or hand over a check until the trailer is 100% to MY satisfaction. If used you have to use your best judgement and what defects are you willing to live with. I would certainly not buy sight unseen. I trust no one when it comes to money.

This is a pre-owned unit about 14 months old, one owner. I will arrange for the checklist before I go for the walk-through. I want to compare it to the Airforums inspector list.

Thanks for your input.

RJJ 04-02-2017 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FCStreamer (Post 1931001)
I bought mine from Colonial Airstream in New Jersey.

Yes, I drove 1200 miles to pick it up and pulled it all the way down to Florida.

I haven't needed any major service. A couple of things I needed fixed I called a local mobile RV repair shop (Stewart's Village) and they have so far been aces. Fixed everything and at a reasonable price, and they came to where I keep the trailer.

I hear good things about the local Tampa Airstream dealers but I myself have not tested any of them, so I can't comment further.

Haha! I am too chicken to do a 900 mile maiden voyage, having never dragged anything behind my SUV except a former SO... just kidding... :brows: Seriously, I think I will have it transported and do my real towing practice locally before actually going someplace. (For the maiden voyage, looking at Kissimmee Prairie Preserve - an International Dark Sky park for astronomy.)

I read your blog earlier and really appreciated the info on the ProvenLock. Expensive, but so is the Airstream and I wouldn't want to cheap-out on security.

I note Stewart's is in Avon Park - I've added them to my list of potential servicers. And as for Tampa RV Airstream, I talked with them several months ago about a 2015 FC but it was sold almost immediately after I saw the online ad. I went there and one of the certified AS sales persons spent a good amount of time with me. I'll contact them, too... and hope their cordial even if I didn't buy from them. :innocent:

Oh, before I sign off - I wanted to leave a comment on your blog about the Nov RV show, but the site wouldn't let me... I signed in, but couldn't get it to work. I went to that show, too and was disappointed with seeing just the 1 Base Camp... yeah... tooooo small.

You've been very helpful and it's appreciated. Thank you.

PSU1981 04-03-2017 02:32 PM

If it comes with power awning - make sure you can check that - was our 1st RV and even though it was brand new - it didn't work right. Extended fully it would only extend to a full tilt towards the front. When we did the walk thru the AS's were parked so close together that they didn't open the awning. So back it went to the dealer and they kept it for nearly 2 months before it was ready to pick up --!ugggghh

vito98103 04-03-2017 07:36 PM

#1 - Authorized dealers have to provide warranty service - federal law (at least for awhile). Dealer balks or comes up with a BS story (like you'll be at the end of the line)? - call the factory, then and there.

#2 - Before taking delivery, don't just look things over, connect and run everything - and let them run for awhile. And watch/listen for leaks, drips, strange noises etc. - hopefully not smoke, sparks and flames, but better now than later.

RJJ 04-04-2017 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSU1981 (Post 1931424)
If it comes with power awning - make sure you can check that - was our 1st RV and even though it was brand new - it didn't work right. Extended fully it would only extend to a full tilt towards the front. When we did the walk thru the AS's were parked so close together that they didn't open the awning. So back it went to the dealer and they kept it for nearly 2 months before it was ready to pick up --!ugggghh

Good to know - added to the list!

RJJ 04-04-2017 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vito98103 (Post 1931541)
#1 - Authorized dealers have to provide warranty service - federal law (at least for awhile). Dealer balks or comes up with a BS story (like you'll be at the end of the line)? - call the factory, then and there.

#2 - Before taking delivery, don't just look things over, connect and run everything - and let them run for awhile. And watch/listen for leaks, drips, strange noises etc. - hopefully not smoke, sparks and flames, but better now than later.

You are so right! Must test everything. I'm hoping to stay over night.

Thanks for your input.

xrvr 04-04-2017 01:44 AM

Dealerships are pretty good on checking systems on used units they own. On consignment units usually are sold as is as the dealer does not own it. Beware of consignments unless the dealership has gone over the unit, some do, many don't.

RJJ 04-04-2017 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avionstream (Post 1931619)
Dealerships are pretty good on checking systems on used units they own. On consignment units usually are sold as is as the dealer does not own it. Beware of consignments unless the dealership has gone over the unit, some do, many don't.

Thank you.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.