Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/)
-   -   Safety Chains: Cross or Not to Cross (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/safety-chains-cross-or-not-to-cross-164153.html)

featherbedder 04-05-2017 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Llando88 (Post 1932307)
Made the adjustment to three links. Chains now hooking "up". Weaved cable through new 'wire lock pin' thingy at top of ball latch.

Better?

Attachment 282776

In pic. chains are to long, if trailer comes unhooked will not support coupler letting trailer hit ground possibly digging in causing many prob. and severe damage. Read my post #61 of trailer coming unhooked chains supported coupler end keeping out of oncoming traffic and no damage to any thing, and another person posted when hitch came out carried on chains until safe stop. If tie up slack in chains that are to long they are worthless.

Llando88 04-05-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m.hony (Post 1932367)
Where is your break away brake cable?

Attached on the left (far) side. You can just about see the curly wire in the photo above the hitch, stretched taught without a catenary.

Llando88 04-05-2017 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by featherbedder (Post 1932388)
In pic. chains are to long, if trailer comes unhooked will not support coupler letting trailer hit ground possibly digging in causing many prob. and severe damage. Read my post #61 of trailer coming unhooked chains supported coupler end keeping out of oncoming traffic and no damage to any thing, and another person posted when hitch came out carried on chains until safe stop. If tie up slack in chains that are to long they are worthless.

How long is too long?

In other words, they are too long by how many inches, in your view?

Llando88 04-05-2017 09:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxite (Post 1932351)
Bad idea weaving anything thru that "thingy" as a pull can open and dislodge it, leaving your hitch in condition to unlatch.

Here's the wire lock pin. Kinda hard to see how this is coming loose?

Attachment 282804

I certainly see where it could be a point of failure. I'll double check it tomorrow. I might re-insert the keyed locking pin I had, and use the wire lock pin as a cable guide only, on top of the locking pin.

Reference the other points, the chains I have came with the Airstream, so assume they are adequate.

I'm trying to adjust the chains' length, so I don't have to twist them. I get what you are saying, but I'm not sure why you'd insert a twist, vs. the option of setting the chains to the correct length 'once'. Seems to me it would make any discussion of weakness induced by twisting kinda moot. Ymmv I guess.

Boxite 04-06-2017 12:46 AM

Shortening the chains permanently means they may not work when I use a different hitch or tow vehicle. Twisting them allows them to be adjusted to any setup.
Ever notice that liability conscious U-Haul twists their trailer chains when they hitch you up to one of their rental units? That's allowable because the safety chains are greatly over rated for the task.