Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1965 - 1969 Globetrotter (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   Found a set of levelers under trailer (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f162/found-a-set-of-levelers-under-trailer-161434.html)

groovzilla 01-12-2017 03:49 PM

Found a set of levelers under trailer

3 Attachment(s)
Finally warming up a bit and started going thru trailer - Found this set of 4 levelers mounted under the trailer - looks like a wrench tool attaches to ends and drops them down.

anyone familiar with these?? were they an Airstream option?

Cochese 01-12-2017 03:53 PM

Those are original, yes you need a socket to raise or lower them.

wkerfoot 01-12-2017 04:04 PM

They are stabilizers and not levelers. Do not use them to level your trailer, it will cause stress and make opening and closing the main door difficult if not impossible.

Bill

n2916s 01-12-2017 04:20 PM

If you carry a battery-powered drill/driver, such as a Dewalt, you can buy a socket for it at Camping World and run the levelers up and down a lot easier that the standard handle.

As previously noted, these are "stabilizers" - run them down to the ground and then a skosh more turn. You are not trying to lift the trailer, only trying to put down four rigid support points on the corners to minimize rocking and rolling as you move around the trailer.

AWCHIEF 01-12-2017 05:22 PM

Please do not try to use them to level the trailer. Possible expensive damage might be incurred.

groovzilla 01-12-2017 07:30 PM

thanks all - i meant to describe them as a "supports" for the trailer.

i'm going to oil up the threaded rods prior to using them.

really nice feature to have

PaulnGina 01-12-2017 07:40 PM

Yes, they are a nice feature. They are still available new if any of yours are too far gone.

JCWDCW 01-13-2017 01:23 PM

They originally would have been lowered and raised with a speed wrench that was supplied with the trailer. I have one for my '96 that I use for the stabilizers and the equalizer jacks on the Hensley. Also had one with the '89 and the '94 Award...all original equipment
In my experience you can use the stabilizers to raise about 1/2 inch on one side with not too much stress on the body. Just helps to bring the last little bit of leveling for comfort (and the reefer; although the new units are not so sensitive to "level").
JCW

featherbedder 01-13-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2916s (Post 1898290)
If you carry a battery-powered drill/driver, such as a Dewalt, you can buy a socket for it at Camping World and run the levelers up and down a lot easier that the standard handle.

As previously noted, these are "stabilizers" - run them down to the ground and then a skosh more turn. You are not trying to lift the trailer, only trying to put down four rigid support points on the corners to minimize rocking and rolling as you move around the trailer.

Any socket does not have to come from Camping World. Buy several cheapest can find and adapter to fit cordless drill, other end fit socket. There isn't any stress on socket plus will lose several over time as they will fall out of drill when walking around 4 levelers If not much need for cordless Harbor Freight has good 18 volt and Wal-mart has good black and decker 18 volt, both 3/8 drive lots of torque plus price very good. you will not need exp. drill. I have both only 1 went bad when dropped from roof. I quit buying exp. now goes bad throw away. I believe socket size is 3/4 trailer not avlbe. to check size.

featherbedder 01-13-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 1898360)

Use wd40spray or dry silicone spray not oil will collect dirt.

cazual6 01-13-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wkerfoot (Post 1898282)
They are stabilizers and not levelers. Do not use them to level your trailer, it will cause stress and make opening and closing the main door difficult if not impossible.

Bill

I concur.

Alluminati 01-13-2017 05:48 PM

What year is the trailer? '66? If so, they didn't use a cordless drill to raise and lower the stabilizers. There was a handle with a socket on one end. You raise and lower just as you would the jack on your car. My trailer is '89, and they were still using manual handles.

Would stabilizers be an option on an AS? I supposed they would be standard equipment, no?

A W Warn 01-13-2017 06:38 PM

I like to have a wrench even if I use a drill & socket most of the time. Never know when a drill might stop working.
Originally those stabilizer jacks would have had a circular base pad on them. You might want to add them back on. Both are available here:
https://norcoind.com/bal/products/con...es.shtml#25025

nvestysly 01-13-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by groovzilla (Post 1898360)

Quote:

Originally Posted by featherbedder (Post 1898687)
Use wd40spray or dry silicone spray not oil will collect dirt.

I've tried a variety of lubricants and the two that have worked best for me are dry graphite lube and dry silicone lube. Anything that remains relatively wet (including WD-40 IMO) will attract dirt.

The graphite and silicone products go on wet but dry to the touch in just a matter of minutes. For me, they last a few months and I just reapply periodically.

BIGED52 01-13-2017 06:52 PM

stabilizers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alluminati (Post 1898788)
What year is the trailer? '66? If so, they didn't use a cordless drill to raise and lower the stabilizers. There was a handle with a socket on one end. You raise and lower just as you would the jack on your car. My trailer is '89, and they were still using manual handles.

Would stabilizers be an option on an AS? I supposed they would be standard equipment, no?

Alluminati, Stabilizers were an option not standard equipment back in the sixties. Yes, they did use a crank handle with the correct sized socket on the end to drive the stabilizers. But these days a cordless drill does three things for you.... 1) Ease of operation, 2) Ease of storage. Then 3) Cordless can be used for other work on TV or Trailer. Ed

Klondike 01-13-2017 07:15 PM

Looks like the round pads that contact the ground are
missing. They are important. You will have to check
out a photo of a complete stabilizer online. Good luck!

EmptyNesters 01-14-2017 08:50 AM

There's a good photo of the stabilizers with the pads here https://www.airforums.com/photos/show...00&userid=3961

My trailer has the stabilizers but no pads - I did however find them on Amazon Prime for not much more than Campingworld. I didn't know that the stabilizers were supposed to have the pad/foot! Glad to find the info here!!

groovzilla 01-14-2017 01:06 PM

thanks for the info!!