Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Airstream "In the News" (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f224/)
-   -   Tesla uses Airstream to show off its electric vehicles (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f224/tesla-uses-airstream-to-show-off-its-electric-vehicles-156763.html)

Al Boondy 09-11-2016 08:26 PM

Tesla uses Airstream to show off its electric vehicles
 
https://www.yahoo.com/sy/uu/api/res/...56cd72.cf.webp

Tesla is aiming to put its line of electric cars in front of as many consumers as possible, and is doing it in a decidedly retro, yet also modern, way. The automaker has purchased six Airstream trailers — the mid-20th-Century RV of choice — and retrofitted each of them to act a showroom on wheels.
Each Airstream is pulled by one of Tesla’s Model X SUVs, which also show off the capabilities of the vehicle itself. Electric vehicles are often panned for their lack of power, but there’s nothing like towing a 7,000-pound trailer cross-country to prove that electric vehicles can do just about anything a traditional vehicle can.

The rest of the story
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tesla-use...003332623.html

GenXair 09-11-2016 09:04 PM

Looks sharp! :wally:
Thanks for the link.

There's a forum member who is pulling theirs with a Model X.

Nuvite-F 09-11-2016 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Boondy (Post 1849431)
https://www.yahoo.com/sy/uu/api/res/...56cd72.cf.webp

Electric vehicles are often panned for their lack of power, but there’s nothing like towing a 7,000-pound trailer cross-country to prove that electric vehicles can do just about anything a traditional vehicle can.

Oh, electric vehicles have plenty of power. The question is range. Wonder how far they can tow the Airstream on a charge?

(Maybe they have a big generator in the Airstream. ;) )

Al Boondy 09-12-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuvite-F (Post 1849458)
Oh, electric vehicles have plenty of power. The question is range. Wonder how far they can tow the Airstream on a charge?

(Maybe they have a big generator in the Airstream. ;) )

Funny there is no mention of the range but I bet they get their money's worth of electricity at campgrounds charging tow vehicle.

Have airstreams gotten so heavy that a single axle weighs 7000 pounds? Maybe thats including generator inside :brows:

tjdonahoe 09-12-2016 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Boondy (Post 1849550)
Funny there is no mention of the range but I bet they get their money's worth of electricity at campgrounds charging tow vehicle.

Have airstreams gotten so heavy that a single axle weighs 7000 pounds? Maybe thats including generator inside :brows:

My 13 31' classic has 7700 lbs on the axles, no generator inside, I wouldn't do that..

AWCHIEF 09-12-2016 04:55 PM

Pacific Motorcars is doing the trailer modifications. Not sure where the 7000 pound weight came from but the trailers used do not weigh anywhere close to that in my opinion.

SpletKay06 09-12-2016 05:10 PM

7000lb single axle I think not. Im interested in the range as well, someone on here has one and says its about 100 miles with there bambi in tow. The biggest issue is charging since there made to charge of 240v instead of 110v.

Al Boondy 09-12-2016 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpletKay06 (Post 1849814)
7000lb single axle I think not. Im interested in the range as well, someone on here has one and says its about 100 miles with there bambi in tow. The biggest issue is charging since there made to charge of 240v instead of 110v.

The 50amp outlet at campground is 240v so you could charge Tesla and run trailer off of the 30 amp outlet at the same time.
I can forsee campgrounds charging extra for electric tow vehicles. :)

carl2591 10-05-2016 05:54 PM

single axles are rated for like 5k tops right...

looks like a nice rig but wonder if it would make it up the hwy 421 west 3 mile 8% pull up to blue ridge parkway in western NC.. :huh: it a bear in my 7.3L diesel with a 31 ft'er in tow.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AWCHIEF (Post 1849805)
Pacific Motorcars is doing the trailer modifications. Not sure where the 7000 pound weight came from but the trailers used do not weigh anywhere close to that in my opinion.


DavidsonOverlander 10-05-2016 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl2591 (Post 1860689)
single axles are rated for like 5k tops right...

looks like a nice rig but wonder if it would make it up the hwy 421 west 3 mile 8% pull up to blue ridge parkway in western NC.. :huh: it a bear in my 7.3L diesel with a 31 ft'er in tow.

With 532 hp and 713 lb-ft of torque, and a lower curb weight, it seems like it shouldn't have a problem with power, as long as the battery doesn't run out halfway up the hill.

tjdonahoe 10-06-2016 09:28 AM

Here in Montana, at Red Lodge and Big Timber there are free charging stations for the electric cars, they run one on the 1/4 mile track last summer and it was very impressive ,the top speed is like 140 mph ? Or better

stormbornSG 10-06-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carl2591 (Post 1860689)
single axles are rated for like 5k tops right...

looks like a nice rig but wonder if it would make it up the hwy 421 west 3 mile 8% pull up to blue ridge parkway in western NC.. :huh: it a bear in my 7.3L diesel with a 31 ft'er in tow.

Good to know as that's the final destination for my 31' 73 excella

munimula 06-26-2017 02:02 PM

Tesla-Airstream Summer 2017 tour
 
Tesla rolls through Michigan towing an Airstream....

https://www.autonews.com/article/2017...g-an-airstream

OTRA15 06-26-2017 02:06 PM

This current thread has some info on the Tesla Explores tour this summer FYI:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-x-160951.html

We test drove the X last week, an amazing glimpse into the future.

cognac_4u 06-08-2021 05:58 AM

#TeslaTowsAnAirstream
 
I’ve been towing an Airstream Bambi 22FB for about 6 months now, and it works great. I just posted my first trip on LinkedIn under the above hashtag, and am waiting for the post to be added to this forum. Check it out.

#TeslaTowsAnAirstream

Cheers!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.