Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   2017 Ford Super Duty (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/2017-ford-super-duty-156174.html)

Mjacks 09-30-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 (Post 2013727)
This is exactly why I'm seriously considering this hitch. Hope it significantly reduces the shock/vibration of the stiffer frame/suspension of our new 2017 F250 diesel..

https://genyhitch.com/the-hitch-stor...ibution-hitch/



I have the gen y torsion hitch paired with an Equalizer. So far so good for us but we only have a couple trips under our belt so my opinion along with $5 will get you some Starbucks (small plain coffee at least).

No popped rivets, no drawers on the floor, no pillows ruffled and we have a pretty smooth ride up front. We are using a '15 Ram 2500 Diesel for reference.

wave man 09-30-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tsunami-v2 (Post 2015192)
Just installed one of these. Only need one for the driver side rear seat, if you want to utilize the small space behind the back seat. Was very simple to install. I'm storing some bug-out items. This is for the F-seires Ford pickups. Took about 5 minutes too install.

https://www.builtrightind.com/produc...r-seat-release

Not getting this, seem to recall being able to pull down rear seat backs on the new truck...did older ones not have that option?

SCOTTinNJ 09-30-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave man (Post 2015681)
Not getting this, seem to recall being able to pull down rear seat backs on the new truck...did older ones not have that option?

What year?

wave man 09-30-2017 05:16 PM

2017..

wave man 09-30-2017 05:17 PM

Will verify this when I get back to Tx, brand spanking new I may be hallucinating [emoji16]

DRPREECE 09-30-2017 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wave man (Post 2015681)
Not getting this, seem to recall being able to pull down rear seat backs on the new truck...did older ones not have that option?



I just looked at my 2017 F250 platinum crew cab today. The driver side rear seat back has no easy method to drop it. You can use the wrench trick shown in the installation video for the item shown via the link. Only the passenger side back has the pull tab to allow access to the jack. Always wondered why the design was such. Probably saves Ford $5 per truck and opened a business opportunity for someone.

I ordered mine yesterday.

wave man 09-30-2017 08:58 PM

That fits, I recalled looking for the jack and finding it there and assuming it would be the same on the other side I suppose.... silly me , will have to look at that link again.... thx for posting it Tsunami-v2 !

SCOTTinNJ 10-01-2017 12:41 AM

Deleted. Answered above.

abone 10-03-2017 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeinca (Post 2012684)
Thanks for posting the video. Is this actually a problem everyone is experiencing with AS safety chains and the new F250 receiver?

I sure had an issue with my hooks fitting. It wasn't too bad getting them on but a PIA removing. Just not a clean fit. I tried shackles for the first few months, worked fine but looked cheesy.

I installed the eye bolts as per the video posted above. Nice clean look but I needed two thick 7/8's flat washers per side, not one. With only one there is still a gap between the nuts so the flat washer ends up bending. I added a second with both top and bottom ground flat so it doesn't catch the bottom lip on the backside, sandwiched between the nuts and other washer.This way it fills the aforementioned gap. I only ground one side of the other washer. Worked well.

Tsunami-v2 10-06-2017 01:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had 4 each 1/4 inch steel plates made, 2 for each side. Also had two 1/4 steel inserts made for the oval opening in the bottom of the trailer hitch. Alligned the three plates and drilled the hole for the Crosby eye hooks. Cut about 3/8 inch off the end of the eye hooks because they where too long and I didn't want to use spacers to keep them from hitting the top inside on the hitch. Used stainless steel washers and nuts. Easier to hook the safety chains up!

DRPREECE 10-06-2017 01:54 PM

2017 Ford Super Duty
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRPREECE (Post 2015726)
I just looked at my 2017 F250 platinum crew cab today. The driver side rear seat back has no easy method to drop it. You can use the wrench trick shown in the installation video for the item shown via the link. Only the passenger side back has the pull tab to allow access to the jack. Always wondered why the design was such. Probably saves Ford $5 per truck and opened a business opportunity for someone.

I ordered mine yesterday.



Installed! Took about 5 minutes. Not much room behind the seat if you have the Sony Sound System with the subwoofer.

Still nice to be able to pull the tab and drop the seat. [emoji106]

Attachment 296375Attachment 296376Attachment 296377

Tsunami-v2 10-06-2017 04:29 PM

Hey, looks just like mine. Nice!!

Tsunami-v2 10-10-2017 11:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Changed the Gen-Y front section of the hitch to be able to drop low enough for the AS. Thanks to Gen-Y for the prompt support. Test fit the Equalizer WD head, looks good. Awaiting to receive the new bolt set.

wave man 10-11-2017 08:56 PM

Interested to hear reviews of this Gen-Y product as it is used, please return and post your impressions and observations!

Tsunami-v2 10-12-2017 06:08 AM

Will do! Preparing for couple months long trip to Florida. Working right now on getting 1000 miles on the truck to meet the warranty requirement before towing. Hope to hook-up and test tow for at least one day. Want to head to a huge parking lot and practice backing up. This new F250 SD is a bit longer than my old truck and with this new hitch, want to make sure of swing arks and get total length.

wave man 10-12-2017 08:47 AM

Working on that 1000 miles myself... hard to work in enough city miles to give the lower gears some wear in time!

gypsydad 10-12-2017 09:55 AM

Breakin needed?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wave man (Post 2020655)
Working on that 1000 miles myself... hard to work in enough city miles to give the lower gears some wear in time!

Where did you hear you needed to wait 1000M anymore for break in period? I thought the same thing, but in talking with several Ford folks, I was told the new trucks all go through an extensive break in period prior to delivery at the factory? Anyone else herd this? I know I was told 1000 miles break in prior to pulling anything with my 2012 F150 EB. I was very focused on this with my new F250 when I purchased in June, since I had to pull a small UHaul from TX to Oregon to pickup my new 28' a week after purchase, which is why I asked several folks including service guys. I just called the service guys again to ask, and they said no break in period anymore.:blink:

jcl 10-12-2017 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsydad (Post 2020688)
Where did you hear you needed to wait 1000M anymore for break in period? I thought the same thing, but in talking with several Ford folks, I was told the new trucks all go through an extensive break in period prior to delivery at the factory? Anyone else herd this? I know I was told 1000 miles break in prior to pulling anything with my 2012 F150 EB. I was very focused on this with my new F250 when I purchased in June, since I had to pull a small UHaul from TX to Oregon to pickup my new 28' a week after purchase, which is why I asked several folks including service guys. I just called the service guys again to ask, and they said no break in period anymore.:blink:

Engines get broken in at factories these days, but the towing recommendation is more about additional loads on drivetrain components, including the differential(s).

The 1600 km/1000 mile recommendation is in the owner's manual. Sounds like the service guys you are talking to didn't read the manuals.

Tsunami-v2 10-12-2017 02:27 PM

Check page 31 of this Ford document for 1000 miles before towing.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...wing_Guide.pdf

wave man 10-12-2017 07:41 PM

Yep very plainly stated in the manual, Just crossing the t's and dotting all the i's as it were... :angel: figure there's a reason...


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.