Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   2017 Ford Super Duty (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/2017-ford-super-duty-156174.html)

hhendrix 11-04-2016 10:57 PM

So I went to the Ford dealer to buy a new Escape for my wife and start specking out a new 2107 Diesel Supercab. It's just amazing in many ways but the sales rep said it's the truck that doesn't require a WD hitch. It's because the new box frame and the hitch is a 3" monster assembly that carries deeper into the frame. No documentation I can find but at a Ford event, that's what the tech guys told all the participants. Anybody else know about this?

Countryboy59 11-05-2016 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ (Post 1872875)
Wow. I thought maybe. Not even if you reset at speed and just stay there?

I can squeeze 21 out of my 2012 f150 with the 5.0.

I'll keep trying for 15 but 14.5 is the best I can do. I drive for mileage anyway, a habit I learned when gas was $4 and I'm sure it is going back up soon! The 6.2 and 5.0 are much different engines, and my F-350 weighs quite a bit more than the half-ton. I commute 100 miles per day so it adds up but there is no match for a very heavy vehicle in the traffic where I live. you just have to remember the handling limitations of a large pickup.

Most of the half-tons out there will get 20 mpg these days. Surprisingly, the little Ecoboost in our Escape doesn't do that much better than the EB six in the F150. The diesel F-350 does well too, but when the miles pile up they get expensive to maintain.

Countryboy59 11-05-2016 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhendrix (Post 1872908)
So I went to the Ford dealer to buy a new Escape for my wife and start specking out a new 2107 Diesel Supercab. It's just amazing in many ways but the sales rep said it's the truck that doesn't require a WD hitch. It's because the new box frame and the hitch is a 3" monster assembly that carries deeper into the frame. No documentation I can find but at a Ford event, that's what the tech guys told all the participants. Anybody else know about this?

Depends on what you are pulling. The WD hitch applies a torque moment to the frame causing some weight to "move" to the front but the weight is still there. I've seen a few contractors pulling backhoes with these, rear springs at the stops and headlights pointed toward the sky. Everything is relative.

SCOTTinNJ 11-05-2016 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countryboy59 (Post 1872922)
I'll keep trying for 15 but 14.5 is the best I can do. I drive for mileage anyway, a habit I learned when gas was $4 and I'm sure it is going back up soon! The 6.2 and 5.0 are much different engines, and my F-350 weighs quite a bit more than the half-ton. I commute 100 miles per day so it adds up but there is no match for a very heavy vehicle in the traffic where I live. you just have to remember the handling limitations of a large pickup.

Most of the half-tons out there will get 20 mpg these days. Surprisingly, the little Ecoboost in our Escape doesn't do that much better than the EB six in the F150. The diesel F-350 does well too, but when the miles pile up they get expensive to maintain.

Thanks again. Come spring I will be in the market for a new truck so I appreciate the insight.

Ted S. 11-05-2016 06:07 AM

'Adaptive Steering' ???

https://snip.ly/9i3zw#https://www.tru...tive-steering/

"Ford’s patented adaptive steering technology boosts efficiency by continually adjusting the ratio between the driver’s steering wheel input and the rotation of the front wheels. Housed inside the truck’s steering wheel, the adaptive steering system uses an electric motor, a small computer and a gear unit to amplify the steering wheel’s rotation based on its angle."

No thanks. I can do much better without all these unneccesary electronics. I can't even get my auto-compass working on my 2005 Excursion.

r carl 11-05-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted S. (Post 1872931)
'Adaptive Steering' ???

https://snip.ly/9i3zw#https://www.tru...tive-steering/

"Fordís patented adaptive steering technology boosts efficiency by continually adjusting the ratio between the driverís steering wheel input and the rotation of the front wheels. Housed inside the truckís steering wheel, the adaptive steering system uses an electric motor, a small computer and a gear unit to amplify the steering wheelís rotation based on its angle."

No thanks. I can do much better without all these unneccesary electronics. I can't even get my auto-compass working on my 2005 Excursion.

I would not want to own that truck when its out of warranty!

gypsydad 11-05-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hhendrix (Post 1872908)

Not sure if you saw the video posted last week or so where the 1T dully was "flipped" by the trailer in strong winds? It did not have an equalizer anti-sway hitch. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but the sway shown prior in video, sure made me think I would want one, no matter what the dealer says. I too, drove a new F250 month ago. Sales guy told me same about not needing an anti-sway load leveling hitch. My investment behind my tv is worthy of every safety device I can provide.:innocent:

Countryboy59 11-05-2016 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsydad (Post 1872960)
Not sure if you saw the video posted last week or so where the 1T dully was "flipped" by the trailer in strong winds? It did not have an equalizer anti-sway hitch. Not sure if it would have made a difference, but the sway shown prior in video, sure made me think I would want one, no matter what the dealer says. I too, drove a new F250 month ago. Sales guy told me same about not needing an anti-sway load leveling hitch. My investment behind my tv is worthy of every safety device I can provide.:innocent:

WD and sway are two different devices.

slowmover 11-05-2016 10:15 AM

There is antisway integrated into WD hitches by design (several levels of effectiveness), and WD hitches where antisway is a separate addition.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins

gypsydad 11-06-2016 11:14 AM

WD and Anti Sway...are avalible from many sources

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countryboy59 (Post 1872979)

Not sure that is correct, Countryboy59; There are several WD with Anti-sway built in offered by several manufacturers. I have owned both Reese and BlueOx on my 3 different 25' AS's over the years. I like the BlueOx, but my point is these type hitches offer substantial advantages when towing over not having one, no mater which TV you choose, IMHO.:blush: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx

That being said, I did like the new 2017 F250 but I think the F150 with new EB may be the way to go for my size travel needs. Anxious to hear first reports on the F150 and F250's.

r carl 11-06-2016 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countryboy59 (Post 1872979)

You stopped short, and there are devices that deal with both. :brows:

Countryboy59 11-15-2016 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r carl (Post 1873370)
You stopped short, and there are devices that deal with both. :brows:

I have one of each. The WD I can tow fine without. The sway device, I'll never leave home without!

Vitaver 12-04-2016 03:42 AM

Just got the F350 Diesel Platinum 2017

4 Attachment(s)
Will report on towing ride when my AS comes out of the shop (fixing a panel I damaged with a tree limb, installing inside security camera, WiFi router and cell phone booster, mud flaps, 2nd. Twin Honda 3KW genset, etc.)

The electronics do have flaws: scans forever for software update without completing task, Sync of Ford never syncs, etc. Maybe those waiting for the kinks to be worked out are right but the ride (without towing, put a few hundred miles back and forth I70 in CO) is fantastic, including the seat massage, yep.

gypsydad 12-05-2016 09:33 AM

Nice looking rig!

abone 05-04-2017 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked mine up last week, Platinum in Ingot Silver. I removed the FX4 sticker for a cleaner look.
My first tow was a short one, around 100 Km's to the hitch place to install a longer shank for my Equal-i-zer 4 Point, and to remove some spacers in the hitch. I ran across the scales before and after the installation of the new shank. The hitch was too high without the new shank and too much weight was being transferred to the front axle (too many spacers). After adjustments the scale read identical weight front and rear axles on the truck. After countless adjustments with my Ram Eco-Diesel I am a happy man with this rig. Endless power, and from what I can see so far, will be satisfied with the fuel economy.
Still only have 200 km's on the truck so getting used to the orientation of gauges, switches and things. The Nav and display is clunky to use, and when I plug in my iPhone that annoying Apple Car Play or whatever its called automatically takes over the display, but I'll eventually figure that out.
I wish the steering wheel was thicker, and a different material after driving the Ram for 3 years, but again, something to get used to.
So far so good.
Oh yeah, '17 27FB Int Sig

jcl 05-04-2017 03:48 PM

Looks good Andy.

Time to change your signature.

Jeff

Steve & Mary 05-04-2017 04:02 PM

My 2012 F-250 only has 28k miles so I guess I'm still not in the new truck mode yet. Nice to know Ford finally went to a larger size fuel tank on the short bed model. One of the first things I did was replace the factory tank with a 50 gal. Titan. I'm still trying to get use to the new cosmetic design changes. For now, my 2012 serves the purpose :-)

Airdog9 05-04-2017 04:07 PM

Just bought the diesel, wow what a truck.

abone 05-04-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcl (Post 1945192)
Looks good Andy.

Time to change your signature.

Jeff

Done!

Didn't know you were an AS guy Jeff?!?!?! Lots of posts, no trailer? Whats up with that?

jcl 05-04-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abone (Post 1945263)
Done!

Didn't know you were an AS guy Jeff?!?!?! Lots of posts, no trailer? Whats up with that?

Too many hobbies and causes. We could meet for lunch again and review it. Email me.

Jeff