Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Classic Motorhomes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/)
-   -   Can I cut a new hole in the side of 79 AS MH? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f311/can-i-cut-a-new-hole-in-the-side-of-79-as-mh-152022.html)

ASmotoring79 06-08-2016 04:20 PM

Can I cut a new hole in the side of 79 AS MH?

Hi there my friends. My hubby and I are knee deep into changing a 1979 AS Motor-home with the center bath and twin beds in the rear. I want to change the twin bed thing and put in what would be about a king size bed. We already took out the night stand and are about ready to re-frame the bed, but we will lose that precious storage space that is beside the generator, and the isle space. So I was thinking that if we could cut a hole (square) into that passenger rear panel beside the generator and have a hatch cover made, could we make that space a storage area for his golf clubs or our tabletop barbeque? I don't know where the support panels are or is there a major concern about cutting into the rear panel?

Would appreciate any thoughts about this.

Isuzusweet 06-08-2016 05:16 PM

Cutting a hole into an Airstream moho is the easy part.......making sure it won't leak is the tough part.

You need to first post pictures inside and outside with what panel you wish to cut, giving as much info on dimensions for possible hatch size and measurements to nearest walls, ribs (look at rivets on outside for location) and generator. Then hopefully someone will have a hatch that could work for you. Once you have the hatch, then you will know what size hole to cut.

Cheers
Tony

Kota 06-08-2016 06:23 PM

You can do a better than factory job with one of these:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCUWKy_28E&autoplay=1

Their claims that they cut anything are BS but they do a beautiful job on aluminum. Plunge cut, forward, backwards... They make very smooth accurate cuts. No catching, jumping...

bkahler 06-08-2016 06:56 PM

I like using a tool like this Porter Cable Multi Tool. I use it to cut just about anything on my Argosy. Works like a charm!

Like Tony said, the first thing you need to figure out is the size opening you want and then figure out what size hatch can be found that will do the job. I've got a smaller hatch available, probably not big enough for a large golf bag but it might suffice.

Anyway, pictures and dimensions would be very helpful for us to see what you're contemplating.

By the way, welcome to Airforums!

Brad

Isuzusweet 06-08-2016 07:15 PM

I should add to make special note of ANY electrical wires anywhere near the area you want to cut as you're near the Genny and a Fein saw, or as Brad calls it, Multi Tool, will cut into a cable or wire in a heartbeat.

When I cut my rear air vent, I swear to almighty I didn't breath as there were bundles of 12 V and 110 Volt wires on both sides of the cut and I had to cut across them, as well as along the wire..

Oh, like Brad said, welcome to the forums.:wally:

Cheers
Tony

AWCHIEF 06-08-2016 07:17 PM

Your property. Cut away.

PeterH-350LE 06-08-2016 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ASmotoring79 (Post 1803777)
Hi there my friends. My hubby and I are knee deep into changing a 1979 AS Motor-home with the center bath and twin beds in the rear. I want to change the twin bed thing and put in what would be about a king size bed. We already took out the night stand and are about ready to re-frame the bed, but we will lose that precious storage space that is beside the generator, and the isle space. So I was thinking that if we could cut a hole (square) into that passenger rear panel beside the generator and have a hatch cover made, could we make that space a storage area for his golf clubs or our tabletop barbeque? I don't know where the support panels are or is there a major concern about cutting into the rear panel?

Would appreciate any thoughts about this.

This is the 79 rear bath with the shower on the inside, but as you can see its just air to the left of the genny compartment.
I like to use my trusted Bosch Sabre saw with the newest and finest metal cutting blade. First map it out with blue masking tape to have a perfect line to follow, AFTER you have the new hatch in your hands for measurements. You do want an original Airstream type door with the frame thats riveted.

PeterH-350LE 06-08-2016 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
But then I wonder why people don't keep their awesome twin beds for day time use and just use this simple method to turn the twins into a huge king bed. Best of both worlds and no storage lost.:cool:
And yes, welcome to this forum!

Isuzusweet 06-08-2016 07:57 PM

Peter

It's the reason I love my rear convertible lounge; two sofa's during the day and a king size bed for sleeping.

Looks like ASmotoring79 is in great hands!:cool:

Cheers
Tony

PeterH-350LE 06-08-2016 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isuzusweet (Post 1803881)
Peter

It's the reason I love my rear convertible lounge; two sofa's during the day and a king size bed for sleeping.

Looks like ASmotoring79 is in great hands!:cool:

Cheers
Tony

Tony, I didn't know you had the cool rear lounge (with fold away table to boot) That must be the finest layout of all, IMHO. I think that the rear full size bed is such a waste of precious space.

Isuzusweet 06-09-2016 04:53 AM

Yup, can seat 13 comfortably in mine plus the only bed I've ever slept in that I can't touch the bottom or top.

Sorry for thread hijack but OP is away taking measurements.:lol:

Cheers
Tony

PeterH-350LE 06-09-2016 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isuzusweet (Post 1803986)

Sorry for thread hijack but OP is away taking measurements.:lol:

Cheers
Tony

I don't think its a hijack, Tony. I always appreciate seeing all the options possible when doing a major remodel like this. Especially when I am almost done executing my brilliant idea :o:blush:

Tampatomgirl 06-09-2016 10:36 AM

I have the same setup in my '90 Excella. Personally, i have no use for twin beds. I plan to build a base with a lift for a queen mattress and use the space below for storage.

PeterH-350LE 06-09-2016 05:54 PM

original equipment access doors are available in different sizes
https://airstreamsupply.com/New-Airst...door-100679-01

Tap 06-12-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer (Post 1803870)
But then I wonder why people don't keep their awesome twin beds for day time use and just use this simple method to turn the twins into a huge king bed. Best of both worlds and no storage lost.:cool:
And yes, welcome to this forum!

Peter,
What type of supports go underneath the middle plywood bridge?

Gregsch 06-12-2016 08:13 AM

There are generally a few of those access panels listed on E-bay. If you don't find one check back in a week or so.
I personally would not cut the whole opening at once. I would cut a 4" square hole , then reach in there and see what you find. If that looks good I would cut out a few more inches, then look again. There are many surprises lurking behind that skin. If you start small you may find a problem but, still have time to relocate your opening to make it work.
Oh yea, Welcome to the insanity!:flowers:

Isuzusweet 06-12-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tap (Post 1805381)
Peter,

I would imaging a couple of cleats have been added to the edges of the bed and the plywood spans between the cleats.

Cheers
Tony

PeterH-350LE 06-12-2016 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tap (Post 1805381)
Peter,

I don't use a support , since the space is just 24" or so. Depends on the thickness of the plywood, the foam cushions and the person sleeping on it.
During the day the plywood can be stored under the twins mattresses the extra foam cushions can be used as a back for your lounge.