Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   1959-69 Tradewind (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Tradewind And The Wind (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f116/tradewind-and-the-wind-151697.html)

goransons 06-02-2016 10:52 AM

Tradewind And The Wind

8 Attachment(s)
Recently a friend and I rescued a 62 tradewind that had a promising restoration going until Mother Nature took over.

We found the trailer on Craigslist being parted out but was able to buy the whole thing complete.

So what happened? The folks, which are exceptionally nice people had started on a shell off restoration. They had systematically removed the interior, labeled, catalogued and carefully stored every piece of the trailer, removed the interior skins, stripped the paint, removed the floor after some extensive temporary braces were done and removed the belly pan.

Everything was saved for templates etc and the body was above the frame a few inches and screwed to the crossmembers with self tapping screws.

Then the perfect storm. 70 mph gusts ripped the screws out of the frame, lifted the shell up and dumped it upside down in the street and into their rock retaining wall. 8 year dream of restoration down the drain. Neighbors helped them get it upright and in the driveway and tied down where it rested until we arrived.

We put down a temporary floor, removed the tires to get the frame as low as we could and using ladders, cribbing, comealongs, floor jacks and all the muscle we and the former owner had wrestled the shell back on the frame.

Front and rear plates were screwed in with self tapping screws and the c channel was temporarily replaced with 2x4s and lots and lots of screws through rivet holes then into the deck.

Interior carefully stacked inside it made a 2 1/2 hour uneventful journey home.

Tomorrow the interior will go into storage then I need to finish a Shasta I'm rebuilding (long story) then I'm going to install new bows (I have some from a 63 donor trailer that gave us the parts to repair our Around the World trailer) and 4 sheets of aluminum and hope to be back to reinstalling the interior before summer is over. Lots of riveting in my future but the door was unharmed, all the windows except one piece of flat glass are fine and even the roof vents survived.

Here are some from the event then the salvage process. I'll update once we get her started. This is going to be a big project but couldn't stand to see a Tradewind cut up.

Attachment 263714Attachment 263715Attachment 263716Attachment 263717Attachment 263718Attachment 263719Attachment 263720Attachment 263721

goransons 06-06-2016 07:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have it unloaded. Last week of school and temps in the 100's have made it unworkable. I need to drop the ceiling to figure out the extent of hidden bow damage.

Attachment 263977

I can see this, by the tub location. This corner of the shell is low and pulled apart. The bow was short from the factory based on rivet locations. This full bow I'm replacing

Attachment 263978
Attachment 263979
Attachment 263980

These bows broke I believe, although one may be a split bow from the factory. The rivets pulled out. More will tell once the ceiling is off

Attachment 263981

I need to find someone to roll the dents out of this tire cover but excited to finally have one! I want to make sure it doesn't walk away once it's cleaned up. Does anyone have good ideas on keeping it from walking off?

dbj216 06-07-2016 06:50 PM

Man, what a project. I have read several times about the importance of anchoring the shell from the wind once it is removed. Finding the shell in the street upside down does not make a good day.

It is hard to imagine your tire cover "walking off". If you are worried about thieves, install a "car alarm", or camera, or electrify the exterior skins of your trailer like some folks have happen because of poor wiring.

I'll bet you can make pretty good progress on your tire cover using a bag of sand and a small hammer (like body shops use). Put the dented area on the sand bag and tap lightly with the hammer. Go slow with lots of taps. I was successful smoothing out my front banana wraps using this method. Small dent rollers are available on the internet of course, but I have never tried one. Other Airstreamers have.

David

TouringDan 06-07-2016 09:22 PM

My hat is off to you for saving this Tradewind. Like David says "what a project". I will be watching your progress and rooting for you.

Dan

goransons 08-04-2016 08:50 PM

Tradewind and the wind

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Dan! I had several other big projects to wrap up and am now starting to get ready to do now replacement and get the floor back in.

I have my replacement donor bows ready and was going through pictures from the previous owner and realized this international is unlike any 62 layout I can find. It's somewhat like a flying cloud layout but has an extra cabinet up front for the heater and an extra wardrobe. Can't find any reference to it on any of the photo archives sites or Airstream's own archives. Here's one of his photos from before he took it apart.
Attachment 268324

You'll notice no curb side windows behind the door. Had the couches L shaped layout up front

goransons 10-11-2016 06:40 PM

Update!

4 Attachment(s)
Well "Windy" as she's become known here, is making good progress.

The sub floor is cut, bolted in and the body squared back up to the frame (boy was that a few day project just getting it to sit on the c channel again).

Once that was accomplished it became clear that the roof metal where it hit the retaining wall was too stretched to allow me to line new bows up and get things ready for sheet metal so today sheet #1 (14' long) came off and I was able with help from a friend to get string lines up and get the new bows lined up and cleco'd in place.

upper side will go on, then lower side, then will replace the top roof section.

Overall I'm happy with how things are lining up. By this weekend I hope it will have walls again.

dbj216 10-11-2016 07:23 PM

Wow, just like I saw at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center. You are darn near building Windy from scratch.

David

goransons 10-11-2016 07:37 PM

In some respects yes, but others not so bad. Amazingly clean frame, will have a lot less polishing to do with all the new metal. The interior is in great shape, some minor water damage around the refrigerator but other than that some sanding, and no doubt rescribing end panels to the shell, but my hope is it looks clean and nearly original inside. New wiring, insulation and plumbing of course too. No wonder it had some leaks though, none of the horizontal seams were sealed. The sunset was fun inside the trailer tonight :)

goransons 10-12-2016 09:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Some slow progress. Figured out the solar dome took a hit and though it didn't break the roof around it had some stretching that didn't let it lay correctly and the dome was slightly pushed down which would have let it collect water at the seam. The result a few hundred more rivets out and new metal for the front half of the roof. Have to get the side panel cleco'd in after work rain or shine before the high winds forecast for Friday. Attachment 273473Attachment 273474Attachment 273475

Aerowood 10-13-2016 11:02 AM

You are doing an excellent job saving the Tradewind. On another note, I flew right over Yakama last month at a 1000 ft on our way to a refueling stop at Moses Lake. I would have called you but I didn't know your number. I did look down but saw no Airstreams.

dbj216 10-13-2016 07:40 PM

That is some serious aluminum sheet work. It does go slow, especially working alone. You're going to have to have a rivet buddy when it's time to "shoot" it as Aerowood says. Make sure they have hearing protection or they will end up like me: "whud you say?", "come again", "speak up sonny", "what siren".

More high winds in your area? That's how this thread got started. I don't like wind much. I can't think of any good use for it.

David

goransons 10-13-2016 07:57 PM

What? Can't hear you! I'm a seasoned veteran on the rivet gun and a good friend and forums member (flyrc) is Mr. Bucking bar himself. I'm a music teacher during the day, and symphony player so I do use ear protection.

Left over tropical storm is hitting the Washington coast over the next few days. Did get the old sheet in temporarily to complete the shell and to minimize any wind getting in and lifting. I know the body wouldn't come off but I was worried about bending or stretching the roof panel I just replaced. Sustained 35 mph are forecast with gusts to 55-60 tomorrow for our area, significantly higher on the coast.

Yes the trailer's "first flight" was a perfect storm, the trailer was lifted, only attached in 3 places with a screw at each location, belly pan and floor was out, so the wind just came in below and lifted it up.

C Channel is all bolted down and the body is attached to the C channel with quite a few cleco's and several dozen sheet metal screws for good measure, and the trailer is about 2 feet off the front garage wall out of the prevailing wind, so here's hoping!

I figure I have 2 full days of bucking rivets, because after the panel pictured, and the two 14'ers down the street side, I still have the curb side rear corner and below the rear window to replace, not from the blow over, but just because they are a big enough mess I don't want to try to polish out all the deep scratches and pitting.

It's pouring, and other than the water pouring in through the open windows and the line of empty roof rivets, the rest of the shell is remarkably dry inside. Of course it will all get resealed before insulation and interior skins, but I'm happy to see no streaks of water running down the walls in the end caps etc.

So far we have .6" today and it's supposed to go solid for the next 72 hours.

During the storm, I've decided to go ahead and repair a stress crack in the bathtub and get the epoxy paint sprayed on.

goransons 10-14-2016 03:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As the storm is hitting wasn't anything I could do out on the shell today so I did some repairs and epoxy costed the tub since that will be difficult to do in my less than perfectly heated garage this winter.

Attachment 273509Attachment 273510

dbj216 10-14-2016 05:55 PM

That vicious storm made national news. Batten down the hatches. A bathtub is a good place to ride out the storm.

It's dry and boring weather in Colorado. Send a little of that rain our way.

David

goransons 10-19-2016 09:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well the high wind warning has gone and we had a sunny day after work yesterday so the roof panel is bucked in on 3 sides waiting now for the next panel.

New upper street side panel is laid out and cut (face down) and will go up Friday. No holes drilled in this 14 foot panel. Bow 1 and 7 are the only bows with original holes and those will get drilled in place with the handy hole finding tool since the original panel is too damaged to be certain things would line up perfectly (this is the panel that hit the previous owner's retaining wall during the descent back to earth.

Its lower neighbor panel will be next then two smaller panels (rear corner curb and below back window) due to pitting and scratches.

By Sunday it should start to look like a trailer again weather permitting!

Attachment 273816Attachment 273817

dbj216 10-20-2016 07:45 PM

Most excellent. That' s serious Airstream building. Glad you got through the storm with no "windy" issues.

David

HiJoeSilver 10-20-2016 09:28 PM

First time seeing this, excellent work. You've taken on a very noble project!

goransons 10-21-2016 07:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well first major panel is cleco'd in place for the night. Still need to finish drilling the roof seam but then will drop out the lower panel in and fit it before riveting the entire street side. Doesn't photo incredibly well but it's looking good. Things are laying flat and lining up well all things considered. Around the windows will flatten once we add the last partial bow between the big windows and install all the horizontal braces when the windows go back in. Took myself, our friend Wally, and my wife to finesse all 14' into place. Attachment 273941Attachment 273942

goransons 10-22-2016 05:36 PM

8 Attachment(s)
9 hours later most of the top panel is riveted, the lower panel is installed and we are ready for Windows and cross braces tomorrow after they get polished. Attachment 273995Attachment 273992Attachment 273993Attachment 273994Attachment 273996Attachment 273997Attachment 273998

dbj216 10-22-2016 07:08 PM

I can't imagine the amount of work required to reskin an Airstream. My roof was damaged in a hail storm some time ago. Insurance required a quote. The local dealer quoted 50k to reskin the roof and end caps. The trailer is worth maybe 20k. We left the dents alone. Patina.

May I ask what spec aluminum sheet you are using. Is it 2024 T3 at .032 thick? It sure has a nice finish on the outside. It is expensive material.

David

goransons 10-22-2016 07:44 PM

50k? whoa!! I'd do it for 45k ;)

the biggest challenge here is the upper metal was so stretched and creased that it couldn't be used as a template, AND the original bows in positions 2, 3, 4, 5 were destroyed so donor bows were used, but no two bows are the same so they had to be "adjusted" as close as we could to the original bows.

The best thing on this is that it's so far apart, that I will be able to reseal every window, every panel seam, every rivet and roof vent/opening before moving on with the rest of the renovation and are getting into our wet season so I'll be able to keep an eye on what may leak before putting the inside skins back on.

You are correct on the aluminum. I got it from Air Parts Inc. They sell it on the roll so I can order whatever lengths I want and they will put the PVC safety coating on roll it. Even though they ship from out east, they can send me up to 36' of 2024 for $45 in shipping plus $8 for the box. Can't beat it.

I ordered 3 14' sheets for the sides and enough to replace to other side panels, and a 16' piece of belly pan. Shipped to me in two boxes came to $983.42.

goransons 10-23-2016 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Didn't work as long today. 3 windows and their horizontal supports in. Sure stiffens the wall back up! Refrigerator vent cap off for repair and solar dome frame cleco'd back in. More rain due tomorrow. We aren't water tight but better than it's been since it came homeAttachment 274033

goransons 10-23-2016 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 274034

dbj216 10-23-2016 05:55 PM

I used Air Parts in Kansas City for my aluminum also. I purchased a whopping 4 by 4 sheet of 2024 for some exterior "patches" I had to make for the new furnace, water heater and dented panel by the entry door. I also purchased my belly pan 5052 material from them in a 30 foot roll. Nice folks to deal with.

I really like the row of windows on the curb side of your 63. I bet they did stiffen the structure quite a bit once riveted in place. It is certainly more water tight than it was upside down in the street after the storm.

Good idea to list the parts you are looking for in your thread. I'll bet you will get some response.

David

goransons 11-03-2016 06:30 PM

Realized that the front of this had been spray painted silver years ago. Started with Aircraft stripper. On the second coat I noticed some lettering in the front corner. Sent the ghost numbers to Joe this evening but it was on some caravans in 63, 64 and 65 for sure. Attachment 274767Attachment 274768Attachment 274769

goransons 11-03-2016 09:20 PM

Tradewind and the wind

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 274771

goransons 11-03-2016 10:06 PM

Heard from Joe, the VAC Historian.

32 - Eastern Canada Summer 1963
38- Historical Summer1964
40 - Mexico Fall 1964
42- Mexico Winter 1965
43 - Alaska Summer 1965
45 - Mexico Fall 1965
1964 Princeton (N.J. location for International Rally that year).

This trailer project was a rescue mission so plan is to sell after it's back together. The question, do I repaint the caravans after polishing or leave it blank slate?

dbj216 11-04-2016 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Many of our vintage Airstreams have bits of history found during renovation. Mine had rally and caravan decals on the entry door, see photo. Others have factory worker names and dates on backsides of cabinets and inside exterior skins.

If it was a Wally Byam personal trailer, or some other piece of unique Airstream history, then it should be preserved. Maybe your trailer is like mine, just used and enjoyed by regular folks who liked to keep a record of where they had been, like bumper stickers on the back of the station wagon. I personally don't think the record of the rallies your trailer has attended in the past is all that valuable.

You have taken photos of what you found under the paint. Put these photos in your restoration folder as "before polish". Then restore the original luster of your trailer with a good polish job.

More free internet advice....

David

goransons 11-04-2016 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 274825

Interesting as I did another application of stripper I realized that someone stripped the lettering, it didn't go away so they painted the front. You can tell what had clearcoat left and what came off back in the day.

Blue Pearl 11-04-2016 08:48 PM

This takes ghost letters to a new meaning, great find. I would leave them, my vote.

goransons 11-05-2016 05:19 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Weather was too cold today to strip the back. Finished installing the last half bow on the street side that was missing and riveted in the cross members. Was on track to finish the street side today when my really nice vintage Chicago Pheumatic rivet gun diaphragm failed. Will call around Monday to see about a rebuilt but bought a gun from Aircraft Spruce to hopefully be riveting again by Wednesday. To replace my gun with the same model was almost $800 which isn't going to happen (mine came from the Boeing folks).

After that work I replaced the bad bow back by the tub on the curb side and got that cleco'd in place along with a new corner panel (still in plastic ). Replacing the rear panel in the morning and a small patch to cover some damage to the bottom of the long side panel.

Our friend Wally (Dr. Bucking Bar) took the tool failure in stride and did some test polishing up front and got a good start on the front end cap. Tomorrow he's going to help me around the 2 jelousie windows and the front window so I can reinstall them their eyebrows and get things dry up front.

Attachment 274860Attachment 274861Attachment 274862

dbj216 11-05-2016 06:48 PM

Looking like a 63 Safari again. I wonder about how much of the exterior skin you actually replaced. I bet over 50%. Just a whole lot of sheet metal work.

David

goransons 11-05-2016 06:59 PM

My signature line is misleading, I do have a 63 safari, this actually a 62 Tradewind (single axle) with a custom layout much like the flying cloud that year, just with one more cabinet on each side. Haven't found the layout documented yet, part of the reason I wanted to save it (my original plan was to cut this down and make a "fake" bambi length trailer just for fun.

I'm about at 50% of the flat metal yes, by the time I'm done that's about right. On the bright side that's 50% less to strip clear coat off of, and 50% less to grind the crud off in the polishing stages. If you count that it's getting a 100% new belly pan I guess it's more than 50% of the sheet metal.

dbj216 11-05-2016 07:22 PM

I stand corrected. I knew it was a Trade Wind. Just wasn't thinking. Nice that you have two vintage Airstreams, both from the Byam years when only the best would do.

David

goransons 11-06-2016 05:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
LONG day today. No riveting while I wait for the new rivet gun to arrive. Punch list stuff today.

All c channel on the curb side bolted down. Angle brackets reinstalled on the door frame and bolted in.

Outrigger belly pan on curb side from bumper to step installed.

Rear end cap and remaining lower panels stripped for polishing.

Rear anchor plate bolted in and rear wall panel replaced.

Wally did some great polishing on the front end cap getting it ready for the front window to go in for real (after it gets cleaned up and I remove the front end cap). Will be nice to get the rock guard, emblem, etc all back on and finally have a dry front end.

Here's his polishing work with the dirty window frame back in for the night (man it looks bad)

Attachment 274952

End cap is starting to blend nicely with the new metal

Attachment 274953

Last of the new panels in. Some small patches to put on but I'm out of cleco's.

Attachment 274954

Attachment 274956

Anyone got one of these in better shape? At least the lens. Don't mind the mess it's in place temporarily to keep the water out since is above the window.

dbj216 11-06-2016 06:01 PM

Good old Wally the well polished bucking bar holder is making some good progress. And so are you.

Our friends at Vintage Trailer Supply have Airstream "scare" lights if you need one.

https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/category-s/444.htm

David

goransons 11-06-2016 06:10 PM

I have one from VTS, it's smaller and the lens isn't interchangeable either (theirs uses 3 screws, mine uses a different pattern and 4 screws). I had the same thought as you and ordered it with my last order. It's an exact replacement for my 63 so it'll eventually end up there. If I wanted to use it on the tradewind I'd need to put a patch up there and recut a hole, I'm hoping to find an exact replacement. I'm tired of sheet metal work :) I bought a complete set of the new LED side marker lights, new lenses for the tail lights, and new license light and bracket. As soon as we get polished around those openings I can get all those on and sealed up.

dbj216 11-07-2016 06:04 PM

I didn't look closely, I just ASSUMED they are all the same. An exact replacement may be harder to find.

I understand your desire to move on from the exterior sheet metal work. You've certainly done a lot of riveting.

David

goransons 11-11-2016 05:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Aerowood for designing a great roller! Well worth the money. I still have a bit more work to do but about an hour with my home made roller and another 45 minutes with the better one he designed and a heat gun and we are well on our way.

Before...

Attachment 275257

After..

Attachment 275258

goransons 11-12-2016 05:36 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The last of the patches...

Deleted antenna using original holes just in case someone wants to put it back.

Attachment 275324

Deleted mess from the tv antenna mount.

Attachment 275325

Panel repair from the retaining wall. With more than 50% of sheet metal replaced I decided not to reskin the entire side just for this corner. Purists I'm sorry you're disappointed.

Attachment 275326

Jelousie windows seem to always result in a crack above the window near the bow. New repair plate with a backing plate inside ready.

Attachment 275328

Tomorrow curb side belt line and rear panel get rivets. Hope to clean up the two jelousie windows, polish around them and reinstall for good. All depends on the weather cooperating.

Aerowood 11-13-2016 08:13 AM

I'm happy the roller worked for you

dbj216 11-13-2016 07:19 PM

Nice job on rolling the dents. It is a process that seems to work. It requires inside access, which many of us consider too much work to gain access.

I also patch my old TV antenna hole. Maybe I should have kept it and converted it to a flag holder. Actually my trailer has a lot of patches. One for the new water heater, one for the new furnace, one for the dent by the door, and one for the new shore power and city water connections. Oh well. Not a show winner, but a lot of fun none the less.

David

goransons 11-13-2016 07:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I agree. Patches are a fact of life on vintage trailers. I could reskin the whole thing but what's the point. Riveted they will blend after polishing the rest.

Emblem repaired and installed. (I need to paint my fence).

Attachment 275414

Patch finished. Polish next

Attachment 275415

Temporary install of the license plate light. Have to remove to polish and I'll drill holes that make it hang straight since the factory didn't seem to think that mattered.

Attachment 275416

Those clouds brought me rain today. Not much else done today other than fitting in more belly pan on the street side.

Attachment 275417

goransons 11-16-2016 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Look Ma!! No clecos!! Sorry the sun was down by the time tools were away. Just belt rail, wheel wells and a couple small patches and the exterior metal work is done. Then wiring, insulation and inside skins. Attachment 275553Attachment 275554Attachment 275555

dbj216 11-16-2016 06:10 PM

Congratulations! A "yuge" milestone. There are not very many Airstream hobbyists that can reskin a majority of their trailer.

So after a little break, what's next on the list?

David

goransons 11-16-2016 06:17 PM

my goal is to have the inside skins ready to go up on Thanksgiving since we'll have a house full of family that can help hold it up while I put in rivets :)

Then painting, floor covering, then hope to be putting the bathroom back in before Christmas.

Thanks! It feels good for it to look like a trailer again!

Aerowood 11-17-2016 06:53 AM

I like the roof mounted wind generator in picture #2

goransons 11-17-2016 07:33 PM

2 hours after work of riveting today and the belt line is done all the way around, great feeling! Kip - that's my new "DELUXE" fantastic fan. Installed it about 2 months ago. Pumps water too if I want. Not the most sleek, but better than a center roof mounted A/C unit right?

It's a Fairbury 7AA windmill my wife bought me for my birthday. Rebuilt that and put it up this fall.

goransons 11-20-2016 01:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More progress to report. All 110 power rerun with new Romex. Added 12 volt for the refrigerator, water heater, and both the 12x12 roof vents in case anyone wants to add fantastic fans in the future. Also wired the center vent for a future roof ac and will be adding a condensate tube this week. Rear end cap reinsulated and installed. Roof insulation this week and on Thanksgiving up goes the inside roof panels. Attachment 275702

Once the big roll of roof is off the floor I can finally get my elevator bolts installed too.

dbj216 11-20-2016 05:40 PM

You morphed from sheet metal riveter to electrician. You've heard the old saying: Don't judge a person by what they have, judge by what they don't need. You're building this old Airstream by yourself. Well done.

David

goransons 11-25-2016 11:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Roof insulation is in and ceiling metal is on! Starting on lower metal this afternoon. Thankful the PO stripped all the layers of paint off most of it. Amazingly holes lined up except of course on the new bows and channel that hadn't been drilled yet

Attachment 275925Attachment 275926Attachment 275927Attachment 275928

dbj216 11-25-2016 06:19 PM

That ceiling job looks like a pain in the neck to me.

You are really making progress on your trailer that others would have said "totaled" after that storm.

David

goransons 11-27-2016 06:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It wasn't too bad actually but I had great helpers!

I need help finding the original furnace. PO threw it out. I have the roof pipe and topper and the face panel but need the unit itself. It was a Duo-Therm Glen Aire model 17-SWT if anyone has one they'd part with. I'm in central Washington state.

Attachment 276068Attachment 276069

groovzilla 11-28-2016 09:35 AM

i have that exact model furnace for sale complete in it's original copper color exterior cover. it was removed from my 1961 airstream.

i live in seattle.

it has been listed on the airforum for sale forum for a year.

i'd take $150 for it. 206-914-9000

dbj216 11-28-2016 06:07 PM

Air Fourms the broker. Seller and buyer connect, maybe. How fortuitous.

You are renovating your Trade Wind with some of the original appliances. I didn't go to this effort on mine. The value of your trailer will be higher as a result.

David

goransons 11-28-2016 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It will have a new water heater and rv refrigerator but will hopefully have a stock furnace (rebuilt) and I have a mint stock stove and all new oven insulation for it. As much as I wish I could count on a stock refrigerator I've learned they just can't be saved without new cooling units and new gaskets etc. My goal is to go back mostly stock here.

I reached out on the furnace. Will hear mid week. Also have a lead on one about an hour from here, slightly different btu so confirming measurements. Encouraging that they exist!

Almost all the interior metal is in, although sides are just cleco'd in. Picked up 1000 pop rivets from Fastenal today so after work tomorrow those can go in for good. Roof vents are stock but are pre wired for fantastic fans if someone wants to upgrade. The center vent is also pre wired for an AC unit and has a condensate tube installed for future use.

Once I get the front battery box cleaned up I can do the front metal and start sanding and prepping for paint. Flooring arrives next week
Attachment 276147

dbj216 11-29-2016 05:54 PM

My white porcelain sink is original, my cabinetry (except for the bath) is original, the vents are original, as well as most of the body and frame. My trailer looks like a mid sixties Trade Wind on the outside, kinda. But it is a nice trailer ready to go exploring, especially in the mountains.

Your Safari will be more special with all the original looking or operating appliances. You are making great progress...

David

goransons 12-20-2016 05:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Today was finally above freezing (although we had a 1/4" of freezing rain last night).

Today I hooked up the new umbilical cord, finished the front insulation, installed the front sheet metal, sanded, cleaned and primed the walls. Primer is Tinted the final color. This has so many full height cabinets (the entire curb side plus over the water heater) that I'm going to wait to final coat until those are upright and test fitted.

Flooring goes in this week. My goal is to have the bathroom installed minus plumbing before the new year.

Attachment 276930
Attachment 276931Attachment 276932Attachment 276933

goransons 12-20-2016 05:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the ice off the driveway this morning. Did I mention how much fun it was getting the trailer door open? Attachment 276934

goransons 12-23-2016 04:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Flooring going in. Full tiles are in with some help from our 10 year old. Cuts first of the week

Attachment 277080Attachment 277081Attachment 277082

goransons 12-23-2016 04:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 277083Attachment 277084

dbj216 12-23-2016 06:06 PM

Your son is why you are getting so much more done than us "average" guys. The floor tile looks great, very vintage looking to boot.

Merry Christmas from Colorado...

David

goransons 12-24-2016 12:48 PM

He did a great job, but a helper doesn't always mean it goes faster (but it's important for him to learn how to do it!)

Thanks on the floor! It sure is starting to feel better in there. I'm excited to get the cut tiles in after Christmas and start installing the fixtures and cabinets.

Started repairing cabinets today though, kitchen cabinet and bathroom vanity, replaced some broken pieces and re glued all the joints, replaced box nails with screws and their wide staples with pocket hole screws. Fronts will get sanded after Christmas and stained, all the cabinet interiors will get a coat of paint to freshen up the insides.

goransons 12-26-2016 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Managed to get the last of the cut tiles done and glued down today. Feels good. I have the tub just set in place. It's getting mounted tomorrow then I can get the dividing wall in place. Bathroom vanity is one more sanding away from stain.

Attachment 277245
Attachment 277246

goransons 12-27-2016 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Today I finished stain and varnish on the vanity but then decided to replace the plywood side that was never cut well even from the factory. Despite that setback the tub drain, supports etc were installed and the divider wall is back in place. The unfinished portion will get painted once the next wardrobe goes in tomorrow. I've decided to paint the cabinet interiors a slightly different shade of the wall color since inside most cabinets were not finish grade materials in the first place. Since that final wall color is in question I'll paint them in place.

Goal tomorrow is vanity install, the large bank of drawers that goes over the water heater and the next wardrobe. Most of the prep work is done. Just some final sanding and test fitting in the morning then should be dry for evening install

Attachment 277326Attachment 277327

goransons 12-28-2016 04:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two more cabinets in, no doors or drawers yet. Attachment 277353Attachment 277354

dbj216 12-28-2016 07:16 PM

Wow, I can't imagine all the hours it takes to build those nice cabinets and bulkhead walls. It must be very satisfying for you to to do the finishing on your trailer after picking it up after the windstorm blew it out into the street.

We had 70 mph gusts in Colorado high county last night. Maybe someone else's shell tumbled out into the street.

David

goransons 12-28-2016 09:27 PM

Thanks! Believe it or not, 90+% of what's going back in is repaired original cabinets. The only new wood so far is the last picture on the post, the panel that goes next to the toilet that had lots of water damage from either a leaky toilet or water heater (or both) and the panel that faces the tub on the vanity that holds the water faucet. Everything else has been scribed to the trailer walls, all joints reglued, and some pocket holes to tighten up face frames that were loose. Lots and lots of sanding, and more sanding, some light filling of old nail holes etc. Finish is 2 coats of Cabot wood conditioner, 2 coats of stain, then 3 coats of amber shellac. I've done lots of repair, but they were in pretty good condition to start with, I was real fortunate the previous owner took things apart as carefully as he did.

Still quite a few hours in the shop, but has given me something to do since we've only been above freezing twice in 2 weeks. Propane heater keeps the shop relatively comfortable (low 60's) but on the flip side the shellac is much easier to work with at the cooler temps!

calais66 12-28-2016 10:31 PM

Looks great! We're about to install VCT as well. What type of adhesive are you using?

goransons 12-28-2016 10:40 PM

I'll check in the morning for you, was the stuff from Lowes (brand was Henry I believe). We used it 7 years ago in our safari and it has held up perfectly, not a single issue. put it on, let it tack up a bit then set the tiles. I still have to two tiles to fix in the bathroom, my 10 year old son helped me (I blame the dad helper) but two tiles in the bathroom ended up in upside down). One is under the drawers and will never see people, but the other shows, and will get heat gunned out and replaced tomorrow. You can see the color difference in the picture above just in font of the bathroom sink. I noticed in the pictures and went outside and sure enough.... Hard to tell without good light but one side has a slightly different texture. Read online I could lightly sand it and buff it out, but easier to remove and replace one tile.

calais66 12-29-2016 01:24 PM

Thanks! Great info. I laid some VCT in our FC's rear bathroom and the stuff I got to set it was terrible--let it tack up, etc. but came in the next day to find the tiles had drifted apart (and this was summer, low humidity).

goransons 12-29-2016 07:00 PM

If the tiles were pulling apart it's possible that you slid the tiles together slightly once they were in the glue. I've found in my very limited experience with these tiles that if you don't line them up exactly the glue will pull it back to the initial placement to a point.

Here's what I used.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/HENRY-Gallo...hesive/3775775

Guess what I learned today?

The Cabot stain I bought earlier this year and used on a Shasta trailer I was working on is no longer carried by Lowes, and no longer carried by anyone in our region. I found it online and ordered 3 quarts but it set me back twice what I should have paid and lost me a week of work time. Going to focus on repairing and sanding doors and drawer fronts and prepping for some staining in 3-5 business days..

goransons 12-31-2016 05:34 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Wow this trailer has tons and I mean tons of storage

16 drawers & 27 cabinet doors to be exact.

Half day today and I finished prep on the last cabinet frame except the two beds which just won't fit in my already overflowing shop.

I also repair veneer on 4 drawers and 2 doors. Final sanding tomorrow on what's done (waiting on some small filler areas to dry).

The bad news is that I have 5 drawers and 18 more doors to do plus the bed frames.

Don't mind my messy shop

I really like the French door style latches on the two wardrobes. Attachment 277478
Attachment 277479

Here's what's sanded and filled

Attachment 277480
Attachment 277481
Attachment 277482
Attachment 277483

And more to sand

Attachment 277484

groovzilla 12-31-2016 11:02 PM

much better to install those armstrong tiles after they have been heated in the oven for a minute. they set better and adhere to the flooring glue for a more tight fit.
we have an apartment building with 10 studio apts and i have done those tiles in every one. they last forever.

goransons 01-07-2017 10:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more cabinet frames in. Temps here have really slowed me down with highs in the low teens and lows below zero. Managed to get the garage warm enough today for finishing two wardrobe frames, the pantry, kitchen, and 4 drawers. No welting on yet and nothing screwed in as the trailer heater was off. Bed frames are next in for repair and the next decent day the refrigerator cabinet and overhead kitchen cabinet get finished then the doors and drawers last. Tough to get these in to place. I'm glad I waited on final painting until after all these full height cabinets are in place. As soon as we warm up I can final paint the inside skins and paint inside all the cabinets, then welt and screw these in place and get the lights and electric all powered up.

Attachment 277823Attachment 277824
Attachment 277825Attachment 277826

dbj216 01-08-2017 09:13 AM

There is a ton of storage in your trailer. Much more than in my 66 Trade Wind twin. Looks very nice. You are making good progress in spite of the lousy cold weather.

David

groovzilla 01-08-2017 12:47 PM

floor tile color goes very well with the cabinets

goransons 01-09-2017 06:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I'm not impressed with the quality of oak Airstream used, but it is what it is and still is looking good.

Weather caused schools to close today so I redid the kitchen counter with new Formica, cleaned the sink and set it in place.

Also finished the stain and clear on the refrigerator cabinet and overhead kitchen cabinet so they can go out after work tomorrow.

Attachment 277938
Attachment 277939

goransons 01-09-2017 09:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Refer cabinet ready to go in

Attachment 277952Attachment 277953

goransons 01-11-2017 05:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's all the storage on the curb side. It really is insane. Front cabinet has the broom closet, refrigerator, furnace and storage above.

Attachment 278036Attachment 278037

All just sitting in place but I'm ready to screw it all together and do the final install then need to paint etc. kitchen roof locker this evening.

groovzilla 01-12-2017 10:06 AM

my 65 24' tradewind had mahogany cabinets and walls - 64-65 must have been a shift from mahogany to oak because my 1966 globetrotter has the oak cabinets which aren't nearly as nice.

i'm thinking of redoing all the cabinets in my trailer BUT after seeing the darker color stain you have used it makes the oak look so much better. maybe i'll strip and re-stain mine?

*let me know if you will be in seattle this week - i still have the furnace you inquired about

all the best!

HiHoAgRV 01-12-2017 10:38 AM

I'm amazed at you guys who are able to use some/all of the interior wood. Everything I have messed with is completely falling apart and only partially useable as a pattern.

Great looking work!

goransons 01-12-2017 10:40 AM

Thanks. Yes the oak they used in 62 must have Been on the clearance rack. I've seen it in browns and it didn't take stain well. This is actually a mahogany stain. Lots of conditioner. They were so cheap though that things like the styles between doors were pine not oak since they only show a little.

As the weather gets better definitely want to get over there for it. Have a retired friend that has a doctors appointment over there I may see if he can swing through for me. I'll give you a call. Thanks again!

Oh I did consider a white or gray wash stain but ended up going this direction. Hopefully I don't regret it when I get to doors

goransons 01-12-2017 10:42 AM

Thanks! Reusing is tough. In reality I could have rebuilt. Most doors and drawers I reskin and trim route new faces. Some sides i reglue and repair the veneer, some I replace. Has a little character but no more than a refinished antique in the house.

goransons 01-12-2017 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Plenty of panels like this that are trash

Attachment 278088

The good news is I'm only a sheet in so far but know I'll be in several more fixing doors and drawers

goransons 01-12-2017 09:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I'd sure appreciate it if folks could keep an eye out for these pop in vents. I'm short a lot. I need to do a final count but need a dozen or so. Haven't found a source yet locally. They are smaller than ones I've purchased for soffits etc. Anyone have any ideas?
Attachment 278089
Attachment 278090
Attachment 278091

Sorry for the bad tape measure. It's an old stand by and the shop was down to 4 degrees so I moved fast!

EmptyNesters 01-13-2017 07:36 AM

Round louvered vents

You can find some similar online. I'm not sure if you're trying to match the same vintage or not but here's a google search that turned up several options.

https://tinyurl.com/jc7rjqp

goransons 01-13-2017 10:06 AM

Thank you! Yeah I'm hoping to match if I can. Lots of plastic ones out there. I like the lines of the original Better than the simplified newer ones but they are certainly better than a empty hole in the cabinet. Each double wardrobe has 6 of them, 4 of them on the singles. Maybe someone has a drawer of used ones they saved?

HiHoAgRV 01-13-2017 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goransons (Post 1898566)
Thank you! Yeah I'm hoping to match if I can. Lots of plastic ones out there. I like the lines of the original Better than the simplified newer ones but they are certainly better than a empty hole in the cabinet. Each double wardrobe has 6 of them, 4 of them on the singles. Maybe someone has a drawer of used ones they saved?

I know I have some, lemme look tonight.

HiHoAgRV 01-13-2017 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will this get you started?

Attachment 278110

goransons 01-13-2017 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you! I just got home from a quick hardware run. Was tipped off locally that one of the mom and pop stores and they had some in a bin the back. I just got on to post and saw your stack. Thank you for looking but they have me covered and they look really close.

Attachment 278112
New on the left

goransons 01-18-2017 06:14 PM

Today we woke up to almost a half inch of freezing rain so no work today. It briefly was above freezing for a change so I heated up the garage and got to work.

Water tank cleaned up, polished the filler pipe and put 3 coats of clear on it. Started to polish the cap too but have more work to clean out the years of pliar marks.

It's ready to go back in after one more rinse.

5 more drawers and 4 doors were refinished today although nearly all the prep work had been done already. The bathroom vanity now is complete and ready to reassemble once the hardware is stripped. Kitchen cabinet is nearly complete, one more upper door and one lower left

Also heated up the trailer and cut in for the final color so I can put up the kitchen roof locker for good and install the lights and power everything up on the 110v side.

This week is supposed to be wet, but some days above freezing so I hope to finish painting the sheet metal and install the cabinets that are already done.

I still have 17 more doors and 5 bed drawers and one false front left.

I'm stunned how much storage this thing has. It's no wonder it's the "caravanner" layout. Tons of room for long trips for someone

Grover water pump is in great shape although we'll be going to a modern on demand pump.

goransons 01-18-2017 06:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 278380
Attachment 278381
Attachment 278382Attachment 278383Attachment 278384

goransons 01-20-2017 06:40 PM

Tomorrow the power finally goes on. All the lights are painted and will get reassembled tomorrow. So happy the PO didn't toss them. They cleaned up nicely
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5f47c3c070.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9406b7dc7c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

goransons 01-21-2017 04:09 PM

Kitchen cabinet is in for good, roof cabinet is back up, doors starting to go back on and managed to get the lights all up minus the kitchen one. I'll need to pick up parchment for the sconces. 110 is on, but not 12 volt yet

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...52d353a688.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a903dab2f5.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...27a0972b2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

dbj216 01-26-2017 12:28 PM

Thank you for the photos of your restoration project. It is looking great. Not very many can start from the exterior skin and work their way in. I know I could not. You are building a great thread for those who may happen to find a Tread Wind shell in the street after a storm.

Very nice period look.

David

goransons 01-28-2017 08:00 PM

Thanks David! It's progressing. It's not perfect but will be a nicely cared for original interior. This one has such a unique layout I didn't want to toss it, although I have way more hoursvin veneer repair and replacement and sanding than it would have taken to build new. Sorry these pictures are at night. Doors are on, front most tall door still needs one more turnbuckle installed but I need to find one or make one. Bathroom cabinet doors are on water tank is in. Hope to finish painting tomorrow while I wait between coats of finish on the roof locker doors and doors over the refrigerator.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4242dcb51d.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...558cf1c089.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...37a97a1519.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...88f5cca022.jpg

goransons 01-29-2017 05:34 PM

Doors doors doors. Only 2 to make and 5 drawers to sand left
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...cc62bf7e21.jpg

dbj216 02-03-2017 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You are going right after it. Soon you can close the door on these doors. Renovating a vintage Airstream takes a lot of hours. Your's looks great.

Here is a photo of my staining a couple of years ago. It is nothing like your project, but I did remake a several cabinet doors and bulkhead walls. I am no cabinet maker, but it did get done and it is functional, although not beautiful.

David

goransons 02-04-2017 05:24 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks. Doing my best! Managed to install most of them today. Need more screws in town on the next run and will refinish the last drawers tomorrow. Attachment 279199Attachment 279200Attachment 279201