Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/)
-   -   Anderson WD Hitch (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f238/anderson-wd-hitch-151454.html)

SpletKay06 05-29-2016 03:27 AM

Anderson WD Hitch

Hi there im wondering if anyone on here has an experience using Anderson weight distribution hitch setup. https://www.andersenhitches.com/Prod...-brackets.aspx

SeaLevel 05-29-2016 06:24 AM

There have been many discussions here about that brand. Here is one:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ead-92131.html

AWCHIEF 05-29-2016 08:17 AM

https://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=5903686

Troy Tyson 05-29-2016 08:24 AM

I have an Andersen hitch. It is the best for towing I have ever used. The folks at Andersen are very helpful if you have questions,Especially Nick in Service to answer your questions.

SpletKay06 05-29-2016 01:15 PM

Ok thanks for the links. And Troy I fully agree ive used there products for years just never the wd hitch.

dkottum 05-29-2016 01:25 PM

You have a 25' Excel, you better do a little more research before buying that thing. We had one.

SpletKay06 05-30-2016 12:35 AM

Did you have a bad experience with it?

ROBERTSUNRUS 05-30-2016 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpletKay06 (Post 1798911)
Did you have a bad experience with it?

:) Hi, I was contemplating buying one of those hitches, but from what I've seen and read, it was a great idea that didn't work for most people.

AWCHIEF 05-30-2016 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1798920)
:) Hi, I was contemplating buying one of those hitches, but from what I've seen and read, it was a great idea that didn't work for most people.

I would say it did not work for "some" people. Many happily use the Anderson system. Honestly you have to take the somewhat distorted and highly questionable comments here from some with a whole shaker of salt.

Airtandem 05-30-2016 08:29 AM

I have/had an Andersen and liked it. It traveled great and was light to lift on and off the truck. We got a couple of new toys and converted from a queen to twins and now can't get the truck level. I have adjusted the raiser and torqued the hitch but the truck still is 2 inches higher in front.
I have a Blue Ox on order and should be here Wednesday, hopes this works. Sure liked my Andersen. I have had it for 3 years.

Trailer: 2010 FC 25 fb Truck: 2011 Ram 1500 quad

mike

AWCHIEF 05-30-2016 08:58 AM

Mike, I also moved from the Anderson to the Blue Ox when moving up to a larger trailer. Words of advise learned the hard and painful way. Make sure the frame brackets are sufficiently tightened to the A-Frame. Also hooking or unhooking up lift the tongue jack as high as is necessary to remove all pressure from chains/bars. Takes bit of trial and error but set up is very easy and repeatable. Blue Ox has excellant customer service if required.

dkottum 05-30-2016 09:24 AM

The Andersen hitch doesn't have the leverage designed into its "unique" weight distribution idea to transfer enough weight but for very small trailers. We tried everything to get it to work, tried to believe in it; finally a series of problems realized for us it was poorly designed and made us wonder if they even tried it on a medium sized trailer before dumping it on the market.

Very light duty components that all showed significant wear within our 4,000 miles of use before we got rid of it. We had to drill onto our Airstream A-frame to run bolts through to try to keep it in place, the "unique" design caused enough stress to elongate the bolt holes in our frame. The friction material squeezed out of the stinger. The hitch ball wore severely. The chain keepers wore away part of the chains. The urethane bushings squeezed down so bad they began to fail, and allowed virtually no flexibility in the assembly as conventional w.d. bars provide; the front corner of our new Airstream's banana wrap tore loose from its rivets.

It's too weak to be a weight distribution hitch, better to think of it as an expensive friction sway control device that will do little to nothing keeping your medium sized Airstream from being pushed around by gusting side winds and passing semis.

And the package will now come with a note inside advising you the hitch is incompatible with the hitch coupler all modern Airstreams use. The design can wear away your hitch latching mechanism causing the trailer to disconnect from your tow vehicle. You can cut off your Airstream coupler and weld on a different one to use it.

Bob662 05-30-2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1799004)
The Andersen hitch doesn't have the leverage designed into its "unique" weight distribution idea to transfer enough weight but for very small trailers...finally a series of problems realized for us it was poorly designed...Very light duty components that all showed significant wear within our 4,000 miles of use...We had to drill into our Airstream A-frame to run bolts through to try to keep it in place...the "unique" design caused enough stress to elongate the bolt holes in our frame. The friction material squeezed out of the stinger. The hitch ball wore severely. The chain keepers wore away part of the chains. The urethane bushings squeezed down so bad they began to fail...the front corner of our new Airstream's banana wrap tore loose from its rivets...The design can wear away your hitch latching mechanism causing the trailer to disconnect from your tow vehicle.

But other than those minor inconveniences, it worked okay?:)

Airtandem 05-30-2016 10:30 AM

Mike and Doug, agree with both. Mike, that is the way I hooked up with the Andersen. I found this to be easiest.
Doug, Sanme here. Before toys and mod to AS, all went well. The added wt. in truck and mod changed everything. Considered new suspension in truck, but ??? I replaced the friction material 4 times under warranty.
I thought of Pro and haha, but for my age and travel, couldn't t justify.
I think the Andersen is a good hitch for some units but outgrew mine.
Mike

HowieE 05-30-2016 12:14 PM

Spletkay06

You did not mention your TV. I say this because if you are towing with a a very lightly sprung rear axle vehicle you may not be able to transfer enough weight to the front axle to return to the original steering geometry. The Andersen is clearly designed with sway as the principle consideration as most TV have changed from sedans to trucks.

As for the stated limitation of a few commentators that the Andersen is limited to light trailer I have been towing my 34 fter for 4 years now and have converted my daughters 8,000 lb trailer to an Andersen because of excessive sway she was having while towing with a Reese Straight Line system.

What is your TV?

SpletKay06 05-30-2016 01:22 PM

I have a 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel with full air ride. Im currently not using a wd hitch at all and it tows great front axle is 3400 but rear is axle 4400 so im a little overloaded. My trailer came with a resse wd hitch and it terrible makes the trailer ride horrible. When I first bought it and towed it home 280 miles nothing moved in the trailer and it towed great but then I setup up the wd hitch and everything moves around, it turns poorly etc. All im looking for is to lower the tongue weight a little and some sway control wouldmt hurt.

HowieE 05-30-2016 01:37 PM

60 lbs is about as low as you can go.

SpletKay06 05-30-2016 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowieE (Post 1799125)
60 lbs is about as low as you can go.

60 lbs less tongue weight? Thats not much

rostam 05-30-2016 01:52 PM

The extreme issues one user has had seems to be setup related. Otherwise, how come andersen works fine for a heavier, longer 34?

Did you contact Andersen regarding the issues you were having? What did they say/advise?

HowieE 05-30-2016 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rostam (Post 1799134)
The extreme issues one user has had seems to be setup related. Otherwise, how come andersen works fine for a heavier, longer 34?

Did you contact Andersen regarding the issues you were having? What did they say/advise?

Unfortunately early on in the discussion of the Andersen system there was a concerted effort to discredit the system by some that feared the new competition. Even knowing the design intentions of the newer system, sway control over weight distribution, several tried to achieve the historically now unnecessary results of the older systems with the intent of discrediting the Andersen system. However there are very few modern TV that require the WD that older softly sprung cars required. Just do a count of those using the Andersen against those claiming it can't work and then make up your mind.

And yes there is an issue with some of the Atwood couplers failing when using the Andersen. That is not a problem with the Andersen but a design limitation of the Atwood. A type of problem often encountered when a new concept is invented.

Many had to decide what to do with their single cylinder gas engine washing machines when the electric motor came on line. The problem was not in the electric motor.

slowmover 05-30-2016 07:00 PM

Hogwash.

ROBERTSUNRUS 05-31-2016 12:03 AM

:) Hi, how can you blame Atwood when the Andersen hitch is the only one causing this problem????????? Clearly an Andersen problem.

ROBERT CROSS 05-31-2016 08:23 AM

“If your happy with what you're using......it's adequate.
If others are unhappy with what you're using......it's not.”
RLC

HowieE 05-31-2016 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowieE (Post 1799153)

And yes there is an issue with some of the Atwood couplers failing when using the Andersen. That is not a problem with the Andersen but a design limitation of the Atwood. A type of problem often encountered when a new concept is invented.

If one cares to read the above statement I do not say there is a problem with the Atwood coupler I say there is a limitation. If one accepts the dynamics at the interaction of the ball and coupler the limitation would be clear.

In all bar type hitches the coupler rests on the ball. The forces associated with the WD aspects of the hitch are transferred directly to the head of the hitch, forward of the ball, and then to the TV. With the Andersen hitch, while the coupler does rest on the ball, the forces relating to the WD aspects are transferred through the ball shaft with loads on the top and bottom of the ball shaft. It is this significant design difference that results in the failures of the Atwood coupler. It was not designed for that type of load. Not is not a problem, as there was no need to consider such loads when the Atwood was designed, that is a limitation resulting from the newer design.

Think of the limitations we would be under if we insisted that all creative designs comply with all old technology. The phone company worked under such constraints all the way from the hand cranked wall phone up to the 500 type desk set. Then someone invented the cell phone and cut the wire.

That is not "hogwash" that is progress and some adjustment may be required. Or do you really want to drag a wire around behind your cell phone?

The original question asked if anyone had experience with the Andersen. I have. I think my experience may even go a bit further than most using this hitch. I did encounter several questionable aspects but rather than sit back and claim the system could not work I made changes to my Andersen and forwarded those idea to the company. They incorporated the changes. And when my Atwood failed I found a solution and applied it and posted that solution for those who might be interested.

Why not my only other course would have been to return to a system I knew was not as good as the one I was using.

ROBERTSUNRUS 05-31-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HowieE (Post 1799549)
If one cares to read the above statement I do not say there is a problem with the Atwood coupler I say there is a limitation. If one accepts the dynamics at the interaction of the ball and coupler the limitation would be clear.

In all bar type hitches the coupler rests on the ball. The forces associated with the WD aspects of the hitch are transferred directly to the head of the hitch, forward of the ball, and then to the TV. With the Andersen hitch, while the coupler does rest on the ball, the forces relating to the WD aspects are transferred through the ball shaft with loads on the top and bottom of the ball shaft. It is this significant design difference that results in the failures of the Atwood coupler. It was not designed for that type of load. Not is not a problem, as there was no need to consider such loads when the Atwood was designed, that is a limitation resulting from the newer design.

Think of the limitations we would be under if we insisted that all creative designs comply with all old technology. The phone company worked under such constraints all the way from the hand cranked wall phone up to the 500 type desk set. Then someone invented the cell phone and cut the wire.

That is not "hogwash" that is progress and some adjustment may be required. Or do you really want to drag a wire around behind your cell phone?

The original question asked if anyone had experience with the Andersen. I have. I think my experience may even go a bit further than most using this hitch. I did encounter several questionable aspects but rather than sit back and claim the system could not work I made changes to my Andersen and forwarded those idea to the company. They incorporated the changes. And when my Atwood failed I found a solution and applied it and posted that solution for those who might be interested.

Why not my only other course would have been to return to a system I knew was not as good as the one I was using.

:) Hi, No; You didn't say there was a problem with the Atwood coupler, you said there was an issue. And now you changed your wording to Limitation. I see that as the same thing and now you are backing out with a play on words. Next you will you use the infamous excuse that we took your words out of context!

I don't know about you, but my cell phone is connected to a cable every night; Your's must be solar powered. And when traveling, I do drag a cable around, called a charger.

HowieE 06-01-2016 09:12 AM

I will stand by my original statement and trust that those who read it, without prejudice, will understand my comment.

polarlyse 06-01-2016 09:51 AM

I'm dusting off the boxing gloves. End Round 1

kd7trx 06-01-2016 12:56 PM

Anderson WD Hitch

HowieE - I recently went from a Reese Dual Cam to the Andersen for our 19' Bambi, now towing with a new diesel Canyon.
When researching a new wd system, I talked with a fellow at Andersen to inquire about their note about certain Atwood couplers. He said there is not a problem if a close tolerance pin is used on the lock-down lever, so did that. We just returned from our first long distance tow, and am very happy with the hitch's performance.
Curious what you suggest, if I should consider any other changes to improve the ball to coupler connection? I don't want to spend a day searching your posts to find the one you refer to above.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

HowieE 06-01-2016 01:31 PM

There are a couple of locking systems used on ther Atwood coupler so I can't say across the board. The failure point on the Atwood 8800 is the "Shark Fin". That potential failure is a function of the load on the coupler and the roads you travel. I have a 34 ft trailer and travel a lot in Pa., the worst roads in the country as voted by the truckers association. My combination is putting a significant load on the coupler while transfer weight to the front axle of my TV. You are not operating under these conditions and thus I don't see a big problem in your case. All I would say is inspect the Shark Fin periodically. If it is wearing that wear will show on the lower front edge of the fin. Use the pin as suggested. That is what I am doing with my daughter's trailer

Every mechanical system ever invented has it's failure points. If you know them you can manage them whether it is changing the oil in your engine periodically or watching the wear on your tires.

Madarain 06-01-2016 02:43 PM

I was amazed as I read about your experiences. I too have an Andersen WD hitch and have used it for several years both with a smaller trailer and now our 23' flying cloud with no performance problems whatsoever. We did have to get a larger hitch ball for the Airstream trailer and we did just replace the friction material because I found we could do so for free. Otherwise the Andersen WD Hitch has been great. It's quiet and works perfectly well for us.

One especially curious comment makes me wonder what is different about our set up compared to what you had. You said "...The urethane bushings squeezed down so bad they began to fail". I don't understand how that's possible if the bushing housings were installed at the correct distance from the ball (specified in the setup directions) and the bushing bolts were always tightened to the correct number of threads (6-7 exposed threads, I think). I couldn't help but wonder if something else is different between our two setups.

SpletKay06 06-01-2016 09:15 PM

Well thanks for the info everyone I decided to order it today well see how well it works

dkottum 06-01-2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpletKay06 (Post 1799118)
I have a 2015 ram 1500 ecodiesel with full air ride. Im currently not using a wd hitch at all and it tows great front axle is 3400 but rear is axle 4400 so im a little overloaded. My trailer came with a resse wd hitch and it terrible makes the trailer ride horrible. When I first bought it and towed it home 280 miles nothing moved in the trailer and it towed great but then I setup up the wd hitch and everything moves around, it turns poorly etc. All im looking for is to lower the tongue weight a little and some sway control wouldmt hurt.

You have 1,000 lbs greater load on your rear axle than steering axle, and you are over rear axle rating by 500 lbs.
Chrysler may be sending an email advising you that you have been nearly 1,000 lbs over GVWR. You need a w.d. hitch that actually works, while taking another look at trailer and truck loading.

We use a hitch with conventional w.d. bars, our front and rear axles are within 40 lbs of each other. Our FC 25' Airstream and hitch add 820 lbs to our Ram 1500 Ecodiesel with weight distribution applied. This would not be possible with our previous Andersen hitch, the leverage is not there.

SpletKay06 06-02-2016 12:18 AM

Chrylser has no idea that my truck is overloaded that's a myth that these forms have created. If they did I would have got one about a year ago.

Adventure.AS 06-10-2016 02:45 PM

I have just purchased a 2017 Sport 16 and my TV is a Jeep Wrangler 4dr with the factory Max Tow package. I appreciate the information in this thread and others (especially from @HowieE). I have received information from two dealers that I may not need a WD hitch as the Sport only has a 350# tongue weight, which is within the recommended limits for the Jeep. I have previously towed a T@B teardrop that has a 250# tongue weight and when towing you wouldn't even know it was there. I am hoping for the same experience with the Sport 16.

SpletKay06 06-10-2016 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 1804691)
I have just purchased a 2017 Sport 16 and my TV is a Jeep Wrangler 4dr with the factory Max Tow package. I appreciate the information in this thread and others (especially from @HowieE). I have received information from two dealers that I may not need a WD hitch as the Sport only has a 350# tongue weight, which is within the recommended limits for the Jeep. I have previously towed a T@B teardrop that has a 250# tongue weight and when towing you wouldn't even know it was there. I am hoping for the same experience with the Sport 16.

Unless you reinforce your hitch I dont think a wd hitch on your jeep is a great idea the hitch mounts with four bolts and clamps around the rear crossmember. Instead of mounting to both frame rails like on a truck. But it should do just fine.

dkottum 06-10-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventure.AS (Post 1804691)

You're only a couple of hours from the best Airstream hitch experts in North America. Contact Can-Am Airstream in London, Ontario, they have set up hundreds of similar combos and will help you.

BTW, they tested the Andersen hitch and will not use it with concerns about a disconnected trailer.

https://www.canamrv.ca/contact-us/

slowmover 06-10-2016 08:22 PM

Anderson WD Hitch

There are pics on this site with a JK Wrangler towing a 34'. With a proper WD hitch.

Call Can Am.

SpletKay06 06-10-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 1804807)
There are pics on this site with a JK Wrangler towing a 34'. With a proper WD hitch.

Call Can Am.

The JK wrangler is only rated to tow 3500 lbs do more research before posting that

slowmover 06-12-2016 11:19 AM

Anderson WD Hitch

Do you know the axle/tire ratings? I'm old enough that there was once no such thing as a tow rating. Or, how things were once done is different than now. What is at present "current" is not an improvement.

Or the truth.