Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (
-   Dollars & Cents (
-   -   How to import 1968 Airstream from Canada into the US? (

_ally 05-28-2016 03:27 PM

How to import 1968 Airstream from Canada into the US?
I'm from Canada and have permanent residency in the US. I currently live in the US with my husband (who is from there), but am temporarily staying in Canada with a sick family member. I found an 1968 Airstream Overlander 26' here that I'm wanting to purchase.

Given that this trailer is over 25 years old, I'm wondering what the import procedure is into the US? I can't seem to get any clear info. On Monday I'm going to call a couple of the bordering crossings in Maine to see what I can find.

Does anyone have experience with this? If you paid taxes on the trailer in Canada were you able to apply to get them refunded in the US? Are there taxes to be paid in the US?

Thanks so much for your help.

drboyd 05-28-2016 03:58 PM

Maybe have your husband call the state motor vehicle department where you're living?

mixedpuppy 05-28-2016 05:13 PM

Best to research (even call) CBP and CBSA. Given that the trailer is older than 25 years, some requirements may be waved (e.g. DOT sticker), and you shouldn't have any duties.

I've imported vehicles into Canada from the US, including our Airstream. It's pretty easy, but you need to be sure to have all the details handled otherwise you'll be turned away at the border. Note that you may also have to file some export form with CBSA (though I'm not certain about that). When importing into Canada, I had to file some export form with CBP ahead of time.

The Canadian version (importing to Canada) is here:

This site has some other basic information as well (which mentions tax issues):

_ally 05-29-2016 05:10 PM

thanks, y'all. Gonna make some calls!

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.