Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Audio, Video & TV (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/)
-   -   TV Antenna Repair/ replacement/ leaks (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f450/tv-antenna-repair-replacement-leaks-14987.html)

balrgn 12-26-2004 08:41 AM

TV Antenna Repair/ replacement/ leaks

I have the original (1975) antenna for my Trade Wind. However it has been removed from the camper. I am thinking of restoring this an installing it again. I am not a big TV watcher while camping but it would be nice to have it available. We have a cool DVD surround sound system and prefer a good movie. There is very minor damage to the assembly. Nothing that can not be overcome. Suggestions??

garry 12-26-2004 09:24 AM

You can go to the Wineguard home site and down load the Installation and repair manual free.
Can't find the link so you may have to do a search to find the home site.

Garry

wahoonc 12-26-2004 10:18 AM

find another one to look at

balgrn,

The best bet is going to be to find someone that has one and see how it is put together, unfortunately mine is no longer with the unit, it was replaced with a sattelite/antenna combo :o Is yours the electric or manual unit? I have a scan I can send you of an exploded view if you are interested. It is the one out of the 1975 service manual. It shows all the parts involved.

Just PM or email me with your preferred email address.

Aaron :cool:

Chuck 12-27-2004 11:48 AM

I have the same antenna, and also have the manual in pdf format if you need it.

the only parts I've seen online are the worm/wormgear replacement kit, and the crank handle. I just discovered that mine leaks like a sieve, so I had to remove it from the trailer (for now) and patch the hole. I may replace it w/ a new antenna, if I can't get the parts needed to fix it. In the process of removing it, I broke the crank handle and wound up destroying the crank shaft. If I can find a shaft, I may try to fix it. the only thing that I can see that keep water out is the o-rings that go on that shaft, and they should be available anywhere.

balrgn 12-28-2004 05:05 AM

Antenna

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck
I have the same antenna, and also have the manual in pdf format if you need it.

the only parts I've seen online are the worm/wormgear replacement kit, and the crank handle. I just discovered that mine leaks like a sieve, so I had to remove it from the trailer (for now) and patch the hole. I may replace it w/ a new antenna, if I can't get the parts needed to fix it. In the process of removing it, I broke the crank handle and wound up destroying the crank shaft. If I can find a shaft, I may try to fix it. the only thing that I can see that keep water out is the o-rings that go on that shaft, and they should be available anywhere.

I have a copy of the Parts list (Thanks AARON) I did not remove the antenna myself so I don't know what may be missing. It is TOO darn cold out (6º) to work on the roof right now. I'll be looking at the assembly and make whatever brackets I need to replace. I see the O-ring, I may need to address that soon, saw some moisture on the handle (could be condensation). I’m in the middle of re-assembling the bathroom, but need a break from that once in a while. I’ll be taking pictures of everything. Let me know if you need any?

1956Safari 03-14-2005 08:03 PM

Antenna Removal and Patching

I'm thinking of removing the antenna on a 73 Soverign and patching the roof.
Good idea or bad idea? Has anyone ever removed one and patched the roof with success?

Jim & Susan 03-14-2005 08:21 PM

Ummm, if the antenna is any kind of of good shape, I'd like the first shot at buying it. Patching is relatively easy. Do a search of "roof repair", Skin repair, etc.

Jim

sfixx 03-14-2005 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediaetc
I'm thinking of removing the antenna...

Nice thread...I'm waiting to do the same thing when it warms up a little. I was just going to make sure I had a healthy bead of Sikaflex under the riveted patch (which is just like how I patched the tail light holes after I removed the stock lights).

One thing I love about vacations is getting away from the TV but I may replace it with a roof top FM antenna.

Best of luck,

Steve

balrgn 03-15-2005 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mediaetc
I'm thinking of removing the antenna on a 73 Soverign and patching the roof.
Good idea or bad idea? Has anyone ever removed one and patched the roof with success?

The PO my '75 removed the Antenna. I looked at it this weekend. The area has caulking around the area. No leaks so far. I have the original antenna, contemplating repairing it. (???)

fastrob 03-15-2005 06:13 AM

How about an update? There must be somthing better, a clean conversion.

My origional equipment antenna is like brushing snow off a skeleton laying on the roof.https://www.airforums.com/forum...cons/icon4.gif

sfixx 03-15-2005 06:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast Rob
How about an update? There must be somthing better, a clean conversion.

What would be cooler than the:

Winegard® Sensar II® Batwing TV Antenna

https://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26655&src=SRQZ

Steve

overlander64 03-15-2005 08:47 AM

Antenna Removal and Patching

Greetings Steve!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfixx
What would be cooler than the:

Winegard® Sensar II® Batwing TV Antenna

https://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...26655&src=SRQZ

Steve

I have the batwing antennas on both my '64 Overlander and '78 Minuet. The antennas (with signal booster) provide wonderful reception and are very easy to operate. My Airstream dealer installed both of them - - the Overlander was missing all but the permanently attached pole and interior rotor for its original antenna and the Minuet had never been equipped with a TV antenna. The only thing to be considered, that I am aware of, is that they must be carefully mounted so that the "wings" don't vibrate against the roof while in-transit.

Kevin

Gunnyusmc 03-15-2005 09:48 AM

Batwing

I just put the new model Batwing on and the new wings don't turn down as much as the old ones and they put four rubber pads under the head.
The two modifications seam to have elimanated the roof rub problem. I also painted the roof with cool roof which shows no rub signs yet.

Don

joewinfield 01-30-2006 09:38 AM

TV antenna removal/ leaks/patches

the tv antenna (elec remote) on our79 mh does't work and there is a leak where the wire goes into the roof...I would like to remove it and patch the hole or replace it with a manuel type...I need some help with the procedure...the process is not obvious to my untrained eye...thanks for your help...joe

Chaplain Kent 01-30-2006 10:07 AM

Joe,
When I purchase an Airstream the first thing that needs to come off is the antenna. We do not need TV when we are camping and they just look bad on our beautiful machines. Saying this does not say that I do a good job taking off the antennas. I am giving you a link for the page of the new owner of my first Airstream. He does everything right including fixing my cobbles like the antenna. I hope it helps you. https://www.balrgn.com/Airstream/Leak/leak.htm

joewinfield 01-31-2006 09:58 AM

Thanks Chaplain Kent...The connection helped a lot...my antenna is the elec remote type and nothing shows on the inside of the ceiling...on the top side the elec unit is rivited from the inside...joe

WHR 01-31-2006 10:43 AM

tv antennaremoval/leak repair

Thank you for the information. I have the same leak problem in our 1981 international 24 footer. This will help with one of my spring projects. Wade

ankornuta 01-31-2006 04:47 PM

Antenna Haters

I don't suppose any of you antenna haters would have the old manual telescoping type you'd mind parting with... ;)

I actually really like the looks of the front-mounted antennas on the trailers from the 50's and early 60's. On my '58 I have the mounting brackets and the handle and gear assembly to raise the antenna, I'm just missining the mast and aerial itself.

I'd love to score one if you have one to part with!

Thanks!

Chaplain Kent 02-01-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

on the top side the elec unit is rivited from the inside...joe
My motor home has the same antenna. I took off the antenna leaving the bracket attached to the roof and covered the rivets with a good helping of Vulcan. I also pulled out the antenna wire, fashioned and attached a plate patch to the hole and covered that with a good helping of Vulcan. The area has not leaked since the removal. Interestingly the antenna laid over the top of the vent when it was in the down position now I can fully open the vent.

WHR 02-02-2006 04:39 PM

antenna removal

ankornuta - I think we can discuss after I remove my antenna this spring. Wade