Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Tow or ship? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/tow-or-ship-143212.html)

Sharkboards 11-03-2015 10:35 AM

Tow or ship?

What would you do?

Our 72 Sovereign has been in Louisiana forever, and mostly sitting for the last 30 years. We have a place for it in Utah and we hope to begin the fixing process someday.
But... we live in Hawaii, and have a hard time getting to the Mainland. We have friends who will lend us a tow vehicle; the trailer has a weight distributing hitch. But I know it needs new axles ($1500) and tires ($800?) before it could be towed any distance.

Would you...
a) Do the road trip, replace the axles/tires, and then tow it to UT;
or
b) Find a shipper and have them move it for us? I'm leaning towards shipping. My wife thinks shipping would be a waste of money. I'm worried that we won't be able to start the fixing until we move to the Mainland and then will have to replace again. Which way would you vote?

marc

McDave 11-03-2015 10:41 AM

Since you plan to fix it "someday," I would probably just sell it in Louisiana, and buy another one in Utah, or wherever you might be when that "someday" finally arrives.

cwf 11-03-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave (Post 1705588)
Since you plan to fix it "someday," I would probably just sell it in Louisiana, and buy another one in Utah, or wherever you might be when that "someday" finally arrives.

Unless this one holds "special" significance, Ditto above.

Shipping will get it moved. And it will just sit where it lands. The parts will not be abused as a trip would do to a trailer of that age. And if your "whenever" comes, it will be there.

BambiTex 11-03-2015 10:53 AM

Agree

Quote:

Originally Posted by McDave (Post 1705588)

+1 on this, but guessing this one may have sentimental value. If so, get a quote from Uship.com to have it moved on a flatbed.

Sharkboards 11-04-2015 10:27 AM

I admit having considered selling it where it sits. My wife inherited it and camped in it in her youth, so there is some sentimental value. Actually, I think she's on the fence with this.

I'll take a good look at Uship, as it seems like the right way to go under the circumstances. Thanks.

idroba 11-04-2015 10:45 AM

You would need tires but axels are virtually never necessary for a tow like that. They should be replaced when you are regularly using the trailer but they don't fail in such a way that it is necessary to replace them now.

Tires and lights and working brakes are absolutely necessary though.

nrgtrakr 11-04-2015 01:01 PM

I'd replace the tires, repack the bearings, check/adjust the brakes, find a tow vehicle, hook it up, check the lights and brakes, then drag it home.
There are many companies that will move it for you, either towed or on a flat bed. Easier but likely much more expensive.

TG Twinkie 11-04-2015 05:22 PM

Tow or ship?

Make sure you have lights (even temporary lights) brakes and good tires. Pack the wheel bearings. Then tow it. Check the temps of the bearing hubs after the first few miles then Periodically thereafter.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

prairieschooner 11-04-2015 05:57 PM

Keep it! memories are not easily replaced, wait cannot be replaced!