Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Clearcoat, Exterior Paint & Trim (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/)
-   -   PlastiKote="Engine Enamel"? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f474/plastikote-engine-enamel-1429.html)

Sav'h Steve 08-18-2002 01:21 PM

PlastiKote="Engine Enamel"?

PlastiKote 'Engine Enamel'?
(This is my first question and wasn't sure if a new thread was best)

I ordered a bunch of parts from Lazy Days in Florida cause they are one of the largest and probably have some of the more obscure parts.

I ordered a spray can of PlastiKote and it came in as 11oz PlastiKote Clear 229 'Engine Enamel' made by Valspar in Medina, OH. I was just surprised to see it called 'Engine Enamel'.

Have I got the right product?

Steve

Inland RV Center, In 08-18-2002 04:13 PM

Steve.
That is not the correct product.
The proper material is available from Airstream dealers only. It is called "RV CLEAR ACRYLIC". Airstreams part number is 28174.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com

enduroryda 02-19-2009 03:43 PM

I've searched a ton of threads and have not read of anyone's results of spray on clearcoat or what Andy has mentioned above. I am having issues with the clearcoat only on my door...it was starting to crack and I thought I was keeping up with it by waxing but this winter it has taken a turn for the worst and something must be done. I'm thinking stripping then trying this spray acrylic. Interested what others have experienced with this Airstream product.

Inland RV Center, In 02-19-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enduroryda (Post 668752)
I've searched a ton of threads and have not read of anyone's results of spray on clearcoat or what Andy has mentioned above. I am having issues with the clearcoat only on my door...it was starting to crack and I thought I was keeping up with it by waxing but this winter it has taken a turn for the worst and something must be done. I'm thinking stripping then trying this spray acrylic. Interested what others have experienced with this Airstream product.

The clear acrylic or plasticoat, is only good for 5 to 6 years.

Accordingly, if yours is original, then it's been "over the hill" for some time, since it's 15 years old.

You can refinish the door, if you wish, with the spray cans, but you really should refinish the entire trailer, or have it painted metallic silver.

If you have it polished, it will run $5000 to $6000 to have it done, and then you would still have to wax it once a month, or, plasticoat it for almost another $5000.00.

Or, redo the door and leave the rest alone.

Andy

enduroryda 02-20-2009 02:04 PM

Thanks Andy for your input. I think I will try to get my hands on some Plasti-Kote and just redo my door.

The thought of repainting our trailer :shock:

Still would like input from anyone who has actually used the product.

AIR-Quarius 03-07-2009 09:59 AM

Right Andy...and you will get questionable results spraying from out of a spray can, plus splatters. Good luck with your endeavors ! (...had to respell that word six times!)

Inland RV Center, In 03-07-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redhawkerII (Post 674166)
Right Andy...and you will get questionable results spraying from out of a spray can, plus splatters. Good luck with your endeavors ! (...had to respell that word six times!)

Actually, if you use the Airstream clearcoat cans, with some experience, they do a pretty good job, especially on a small area like the entrance door.

Large area, different story.

Andy