Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Our Community (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Questions about special orders (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/questions-about-special-orders-141845.html)

yorkiebeebs 09-30-2015 12:43 PM

Questions about special orders

When you order a new Classic 30 foot Airstream, can you have them put a washer & dryer hookup in the closet next to the shower? Can you also have them put a cabinet with a counter where the propane stove is? Have any of you done this? Those two changes could make this my choice. The only other thing that is disappointing to me is there isn't a front bedroom option. I would love to be able to back into a site and see the waterfront while sitting at the table or sofa. I only saw that layout in the Eddie Bauer model.

Al - K4GLU 09-30-2015 02:08 PM

No. Airstream will not do custom work like this.

yorkiebeebs 09-30-2015 02:15 PM

Thank you. Good to know.

SCOTTinNJ 09-30-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU (Post 1691247)
No. Airstream will not do custom work like this.

Not sure this is entirely true. They likely will not do it on the production line, but they may do it at the Jackson Center repair bay before delivering the trailer. But you will pay their hourly rate for it.

Al - K4GLU 09-30-2015 02:54 PM

I doubt Airstream would do this type of work even in the repair facility after the trailer came off the line. Of course what this individual should have done to begin with is call Airstream and talk to them about the changes/additions he wants. After all Airstream is the very best source for this information - not Air Forums which has nothing to do with Airstream.

AWCHIEF 09-30-2015 02:57 PM

Seeing some of the custom work they were doing when I was there I suspect they will do just about anything for the right amount of money. As said Airstream is the place to ask, no here.

mojo 09-30-2015 03:19 PM

Call Airstream Adventures NW in WA. They have been doing customization work on trailers bought through them.

BAB 09-30-2015 06:31 PM

I have installed a Vesta dishwasher in my new Classic, very slick and works beautifully, but the tradeoff is a reduction in closet space. There is virtually no place for a washer/dryer, unless you demolished something else. If you removed the shower, maybe. The performance of RV washer/dryer combos is pretty pitiful. They wash, they dry in the same apparatus. You can get (maybe) one bath towel at a time.

yorkiebeebs 09-30-2015 10:31 PM

So now that I know I can't wish for a washer & dryer in an Airstream, how do you deal with laundry while traveling? The few times I've used a laundromat the machines weren't kind to your clothes. Do most RV parks have a decent laundromat available for use? It seems like you would have to wash you clothes once a week at least because you can't bring many with you. I over plan and over prepare so be patient with me. I have so many things I wonder about.

Amsterdamer 10-01-2015 11:26 AM

I've seen a 30BH where the rear beds were removed and replaced with a combo laundry and office area. It was post build custom work.

Outdoors4me 10-01-2015 01:58 PM

Most RV parks and some public parks have laundromats. They vary from excellent to ho-hum. Buy a lot of quick-drying travel clothes that you can dry on the line, keep several rolls of quarters on hand, and be prepared to get your clothes a little battered in the wash. This is camping, don't sweat it. (Or don't sweat!)

AWCHIEF 10-01-2015 02:25 PM

I have a dish washer in my home. Have used it one time. It took an hour and used a ton of water to do what I do in 5 minutes. Never used it again. I certainly use my washer and dryer at home but all the small trailer sized models I have seen have also been fairly useless. They are too small to be used economically in my opinion

SteveSueMac 10-01-2015 03:14 PM

On a different mod - I emailed Chris Burch to see if they could change my emergency exit window in my 27FB to another door. They can't.

Can anyone?

Using that window in an emergency would not work. Do I throw my bloodhound out the window first? Do you poke your head through and slide out to break your neck when you hit the ground? Honestly - it's a scary proposition.

Since AS wouldn't do it, I'd certainly welcome other thoughts.

kfrere 10-02-2015 08:49 AM

The entire interior of our AS is done to our specifications - which also meant some window placement changes. Shell is a 2008 Classic ordered from Jackson Center - all other similarities stop as you enter the door. We'll never buy another as 7 years of use has confirmed for us that we have exactly what we need in a trailer. We used Timeless Travel Trailers.
Yes, we also have an Interstate. Different use, different purposes. They make a very happy couple.

Rocinante 10-02-2015 08:56 AM

Questions about special orders

AS Adventures NW works with a customization shop that will add a second door if you've got the cash.

https://seattleairstream.com/ultimateairstreams.asp

tsunami 10-07-2015 04:21 PM

Try this AS dealer out west.
Portland Oregon Airstream Adventures Northwest

Mrjkq 10-07-2015 04:29 PM

I just read (today) a post about Jackson Center taking out the front lounge in 25ft RB & custom building a double recliner + console. That leaves me to believe a w/d prep is possible.

tvketchum 10-11-2015 06:51 PM

Anything is possible, when you have money, or the knowledge and expertise. We deal with laundromats and what happens, happens. But then, we aren't talking designer wardrobes, either. The space any washer dryer would take is not worth it, not to mention the weight. Then, you would have to be in a full hookup site to make use of it, and, not use AC while it is running.

Tom
Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

switz 10-11-2015 07:00 PM

When we ordered our 2014 Classic, we wanted to swap the microwave for drawers in our kitchen and they would not do that. They did add an aluminum backsplash behind the bathroom sink and installed different stock flooring linoleum for a $500 up-charge.

Now that they are cranking our over 60+ units per week, I would doubt any changes get made on the line.

Foiled Again 10-11-2015 07:11 PM

I've used laundromats for 9 years - and IF you LOOK INSIDE the washers and give them a quick swipe you can avoid damage. The things that ruin your laundry are sand and petroleum products - and if anyone has dyed fabric in one, it can also be bad.... but none of these happen often.

As long as the machine looks and feels clean and you don't use hot water - your laundry will be fine. What DOES ruin a lot of clothing are the dryers. More aptly called "fryers".

What I normally do is fluff my laundry - get it to slightly damp, and then put it on hangers. I let stuff air dry in my camper.