Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Awnings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/)
-   -   20' awning and a micro burst..ouch! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f442/20-awning-and-a-micro-burst-ouch-140938.html)

badkat 09-10-2015 11:34 AM

20' awning and a micro burst..ouch!

Last Saturday I was sitting out under the awning on the phone then lightning struck and I went into gear to get the awning in. Got the middle arm in and got the back arm when suddenly it got real windy with rain. I ran to the other side and fellow campers came running. The awning did get rolled up haphazardly but both claw arms broke and all seams popped.

We are in the process of what and where to go for repair or replacement. Would it be safer to just remove the claw arms remaining parts to travel instead of tape and bungees? The locks look ok.

Thanks for any suggestions and warnings

BadKat

AtomicNo13 09-10-2015 12:47 PM

You can still use the awning with the broken claws, you just need to position the broken part over the roller as you ratchet it out.

badkat 09-10-2015 12:54 PM

One arm does not seem to be spring loaded anymore. Just do not want them tangling on the road to get parts or awning replaced.

Will be interested in Progressive's appraisal since it is a 2001. Zippdee says these awnings last 30 or more years.

AWCHIEF 09-10-2015 01:00 PM

I also have progressive, curious how they respond.

badkat 09-10-2015 01:06 PM

Will post what happens. So far very helpful.

CRH 09-10-2015 01:51 PM

The seams on what popped?

badkat 09-10-2015 02:30 PM

All of the vertical seams on the fabric of the awning not the AS but it did get a little dent but did not pierce a hole.

CRH 09-10-2015 03:06 PM

They popped because the thread is rotten....My 1995 awning looked perfect. I pushed on a seam and the threads popped like a zipper. I just took my awning off this summer and had an upholstery shop restitch all the seams.

badkat 09-10-2015 05:16 PM

I appreciate that but I was outside during this whole micro burst storm. Why did the claws all break off? Not an experience I ever want to have again. This storm lasted about 3-4 minutes and many others that were inside said their trailers rocked. I am at AMZN in KY with 50 other campers. This was terrifying to say the least.

CRH 09-10-2015 06:16 PM

It sounds like you had one arm fully in and one fully extended. The steep angle probably put the claws in a bind.

badkat 09-10-2015 06:48 PM

That is probably true. The wind blew the side I left to get the other in so yes guess that is why.

HiJoeSilver 09-10-2015 07:07 PM

The claws seem to be weak points. The ones they use now are drastically different and weaker than the ones they used to use. I always keep them un attached when putting the awning in and out.

badkat 09-11-2015 06:34 AM

We will have new ones in the future. Good tip.

cegardner 09-11-2015 02:06 PM

we have a 2015 that the claws broke on the second trip just putting it up. we live near zip dee and they suggested having extra claws and also the part they latch on the to. cheap dollars and we now have extras. they will and do break

AWCHIEF 09-12-2015 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cegardner (Post 1682787)
we have a 2015 that the claws broke on the second trip just putting it up. we live near zip dee and they suggested having extra claws and also the part they latch on the to. cheap dollars and we now have extras. they will and do break

Did they repair and give you new extra parts?

badkat 09-12-2015 07:27 AM

That's pretty sad.

badkat 09-14-2015 06:18 PM

So this it so far, Progressive says we will fix both canopies with a $500 deductible. The big roller seems to be fine. All new fabric on both and new arms on the big one. Stay tuned.

LucasS 09-14-2015 06:34 PM

Go electric (if you're already isn't)...Cost me about $1000 all in for a used power awning but I freaking love it...and when it gets to windy it just rolls itself in =) I'm going to have the one over the entrance door replaced with power soon too. If you camp often, more so if you move from place to place often in one trip, the time they save is worth it alone...but when you combine that with the peace of mind knowing that if you leave the RV to go out to dinner and the wind picks up that you won't be coming back to a disaster at the campsite....even more worth it.

badkat 09-15-2015 03:19 PM

What we love about our AS is that it is so mechanical not electric. We do not use the canopy that often..it just has been hot and the shade was wonderful here in KY at Amazon. It was not unattended..I was out under it when this 4 minute storm came up. On your motor home I totally understand. Different strokes different folks. I hope this insurance is for real to get new canopies on both sides..we shall see.

We still hand crank our stabilizers.

badkat 09-17-2015 02:34 PM

Went to Louisvlle, KY today to Louisville RV a ZipDee dealer. They measured and measured. Checked out the rafter arms and ordered all the parts and material for 2 awnings. Even changed to the stripes at no extra charge. Hope it truly works out this way. Will keep you posted.