Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Generators & Solar Power (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/)
-   -   Generator Storage (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f448/generator-storage-140894.html)

mohawk622 09-09-2015 12:50 PM

Generator Storage

Hi All,

I am a new owner of a 2015 28' Internation Serenity trailer. I am pulling the AS with a GMC Yukon Denali. I was concerned that AS does not offer the option of installing a generator at the factory. The sales person said that it is not a problem, just buy two Honda of Yamaha 2000 watt generators, and run them in parallel. I did buy the two Yamaha generators with the parallel kit.

I am now horrified to find out that the generators do not fit in the back hatch of the AS. They are too high. If I try to haul them on their sides, the gas leaks out into the storage compartment, and the fumes leak into the trailer.

I can't haul them inside of the Yukon SUV because the fumes make my wife sick.

This seems like a mega design flaw for this AS.

Is there a reasonable solution for this problem?

Thanks for any help

AWCHIEF 09-09-2015 01:12 PM

There is an aftermarket mount made that goes over the battery box. What I do not like about it is that the generators have to removed to check the batteries. Everything in life is a compromise. Good luck with your search.
You are getting responses to your other almost duplicate post.

urnmor 09-09-2015 01:15 PM

I carry my Hond 2000s in the back of my F250 in seperate containers. This might work for your Yamahas

mohawk622 09-09-2015 01:19 PM

Thanks for the reply urnmor,

My problem is that I have a GMC Yukon SUV, and not a truck so the generators must ride somewhere else...

mefly2 09-09-2015 01:38 PM

Rubbermaid boxes ...

Mrjkq 09-09-2015 01:51 PM

I have a photo of what another Airstreamer did to solve that problem. Unfortunately for some reason I'm not able to post pictures on this forum, why I don't know. You can email me ae Mrjkq@icloud.com & I'll forward it to you.

SeeMore 09-09-2015 03:47 PM

mefly2's reply is a great solution if you add a weatherstripping seal around the lid lip for transport in a SUV without fumes. The Rubbermaid Action Packer 24-gal works for one generator. I don't know whether the 36 or 48 gallon version fits two, but simply check the base dimensions x 2 to evaluate the footprint.

xrvr 09-09-2015 04:08 PM

I always look at generaters as TV accessories, not RV accessories. Very, very few trailers have space for gennys, so the duty falls to the TV. Something you should think of before you purchase a trailer. Airtight boxes are the solution as has been mentioned.

urnmor 09-09-2015 04:40 PM

Rubbermaid is what I also use I just could not think of the name at the time.

Wild Child 09-09-2015 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avionstream (Post 1681783)
I always look at generaters as TV accessories, not RV accessories. Very, very few trailers have space for gennys, so the duty falls to the TV. Something you should think of before you purchase a trailer. Airtight boxes are the solution as has been mentioned.

We too have been trying to figure out a safe way to transport a generator as we have an SUV for a TV.
But I thought maybe an airtight container would be dangerous should the gas fumes build up within the enclosed small space?
We want to purchase the Honda 2000 but haven't really figured out best way to carry it.

leedav 09-09-2015 05:43 PM

Still happy with my propane honda 2000 from Genconnex

ROBERT CROSS 09-09-2015 05:54 PM

4 Attachment(s)
You may have to buy a pre-EPA gas cap to use the 24gal ActionPacker, the new style prevents the lid from sealing.

We also converted to LPG dual use, but never had a problem with fumes using the AP. It stores in the AS next to the door when traveling.

BTW...the LPG equipment stores in a separate carry bag.

Bob
:cool: