Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   WBCCI Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/)
-   -   Old Number Removal (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f286/old-number-removal-140124.html)

skitique 08-22-2015 03:02 PM

Old Number Removal

Any ideas on how to remove the sticky residue of old numbers off our AS?

Not excited about putting our #s on the trailer after the struggle to clean off the old ones. Will we be the redneck members if I put these on a board & just put in the front window when at rallies? :wally:

Thanks

Protagonist 08-22-2015 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skitique (Post 1673040)
Will we be the redneck members if I put these on a board & just put in the front window when at rallies? :wally:

Only if you listen to Jeff Foxworthy CDs at the rallies.:lol:

I can't speak for the whole club, but as far as I'm concerned, as long as you show your numbers front and back, it doesn't much matter how you show them. The reason why the numbers are important is that in the event you need emergency services such as an ambulance, you want to make sure they can find you and not spend fifteen extra minutes looking for one shiny trailer out of a whole flock of them. So as long as they're easily visible, that's all that really matters.

dwightdi 08-22-2015 03:59 PM

Charcoal lighter fluid does a decent job without damaging the clearcoat. Dampen a soft cloth and hold it in contact with the residual glue till the glue softens a bit. A little rougher cloth will abrade the soften glue without disturbing the clearcoat.

Many members put the numbers on a clear piece of plastic and hang them or put them in the windows. At the International, you have to display your entry pass in side window.

Boxite 08-22-2015 04:10 PM

WD-40 will remove old adhesive... So will acetone.

Larry C 08-22-2015 04:16 PM

Not a thing wrong to be RedNeck members. Put 'em on a board, and display them if that's what you want. If anybody gets "stiff necked" about it, mention to them the reason why you do it that way.

Larry

Quote:

Originally Posted by skitique (Post 1673040)
Any ideas on how to remove the sticky residue of old numbers off our AS?

Not excited about putting our #s on the trailer after the struggle to clean off the old ones. Will we be the redneck members if I put these on a board & just put in the front window when at rallies? :wally:

Thanks

SteveSueMac 08-22-2015 05:14 PM

I don't remember the title of the thread but there's discussion about this somewhere in here - some folks have put their #s on a plexiglass sheet they suction cup to the window when they're at a rally. I've even seen one guy who has a custom neon sign he puts in his window 😄

StreamRollin 08-22-2015 07:40 PM

I just got done waxing the whole AS today and I had to replace one of my numbers because it was peeling off. I used GOO OFF which worked very good , along with some elbow grease
Jim

Lumatic 08-25-2015 09:36 AM

When you get the old numbers off you will still probably have "ghosts" from the numbers. I use fine steel wool to exorcise the ghosts, which of course does also affect whatever is left of the clear coat but imho looks better anyway.

Al and Missy 08-27-2015 04:08 PM

I'm not familiar with Goo Off, but Goof Off is very aggressive. I used it on one of my plastic vent fan lids when I was trying to remove the gray paint that one of the POs had used on it and it attacked the plastic. Goo Gone, on the other hand, was OK on the plastic but not terribly effective.

Al

jhenry 09-02-2015 04:58 PM

You may want to try heat gun to peel letters then Mayonnaise if that does not take off the glue then wd40 then clean with liquid dish soap and water