Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Steps (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f475/)
-   -   Step Replacement (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f475/step-replacement-139072.html)

Kingsmen 33 07-31-2015 07:24 PM

Step Replacement

I had to replace the steps on 25' Flying Cloud.
Did some research and the replacement steps were purchased from Campers World for $81 plus $10 shipping. Campers World part number is 74960.
The manufacturer is Lippert Components and their part number is 341500.
This step is exactly the same as OEM steps from Air Stream. Bolt holes match and installation took 15 minutes. Remove 4 bolts and the steps come off.

Hans627 07-31-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsmen 33 (Post 1661802)
Did some research and the replacement steps were purchased from Campers World for $81 plus $10 shipping. Campers World part number is 74960.
This step is exactly the same as OEM steps from Air Stream. Bolt holes match and installation took 15 minutes. Remove 4 bolts and the steps come off.

Why did the steps need to be replaced? Just curious.

Jukeboxfun 07-31-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans627 (Post 1661805)
Why did the steps need to be replaced? Just curious.

One more cheeseburger and mine will need to be replaced.

Kingsmen 33 08-01-2015 10:00 AM

I damaged the step. Left it down when I pulled forward, pushed against return pipe on my pool filter, and it bent about 5 degrees. Impossible to bend it back to original shape.
Good news is that the PVC pipe did not break..

Not Done 08-01-2015 10:11 AM

The replacement step appears to be metal. Was your original step metal or aluminum?

Kingsmen 33 08-02-2015 05:46 AM

Original steps are painted steel. Replacement step is the exact OEM step and is steel.

Foiled Again 08-02-2015 08:04 AM

Dear King... you might find that you and a somewhat robust hammer you CAN bend the steps back in line after removing them from the Airstream.

On my old one, I did nearly the same thing, except it was with a big rock. I used a 32 oz. framing hammer with a piece of thin plywood to protect the surfaces I "massaged" back in to alignment.

You'd have a spare for next time! Ouch!

Paula

mandolindave 08-02-2015 09:00 AM

Kingsman…thumbs up to you for your preemptive advice.

Very cool heads up….gold star and all that good stuff.

But, I have an 1973 Argosy 20'…..and I don't even know if my trailer had steps. ( if anyone could please answer that for me )

I'm thinking about getting steps , but not sure about it. I have repaired many steps on friends SOBs. Many of the failures were due to weak attachments, weak fasteners, and the fact that big guys are plopping down on an assembly that has a mechanical advantage that makes hardware and supports " want" to break. I see lots of folks bracing up and using make shift supports, wood blocks, and even bottle jacks on their steps. Perhaps they are trying to prevent another failure. I kinda think it's easier to just use my portable steps.

murreywalker 08-02-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foiled Again (Post 1662378)
Dear King... you might find that you and a somewhat robust hammer you CAN bend the steps back in line after removing them from the Airstream.

On my old one, I did nearly the same thing, except it was with a big rock. I used a 32 oz. framing hammer with a piece of thin plywood to protect the surfaces I "massaged" back in to alignment.

You'd have a spare for next time! Ouch!

Paula

A come-along does a pretty good job, too.

I know. Found it out on my old 23FB.;)

Not Done 08-04-2015 09:48 AM

My steps are aluminum. I see that Inland RV has both aluminum replacement steps and parts for the aluminum. I may just repair mine with his parts.

badkat 08-04-2015 01:10 PM

My AS is the one that fought the curb and the curb won on Aluminum steps. When this happened I wrote on the forums. Everyone kinda advised us to go steel since we are full-timers. That has turned out to be great for us.

Not Done 08-05-2015 03:25 PM

badkat,

Are the Aluminum and steel steps interchangeable? In other words, are they the same dimensions and bolt pattern, no modification required?

Thanks,

John

carl2591 03-01-2016 01:21 PM

what year 25' flying cloud?? your info show a 2015 28ft flying cloud..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsmen 33 (Post 1661802)

BoldAdventure 03-01-2016 02:03 PM

They're all the same except for the Classic's which had different steps.

carl2591 03-02-2016 04:34 PM

different how.. wider, longer, 3 steps etc.. the 2005 classic 31 we are buying has a broken bottom of two steps and was looking at the camping world replacement steps. they seem to be a bit more able to handle the stress of everyday usage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoldAdventure (Post 1756459)
They're all the same except for the Classic's which had different steps.

BoldAdventure 03-02-2016 05:13 PM

Just quoting something I read earlier. And observation. But the mounting holes are most likely all the same. Probably industry standard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by idroba (Post 1756236)
This is a copy from a Forum post in the past few months. I kept it in my file, sorry I can't give proper credit to the original author.

"I had to replace the steps on 25' Flying Cloud.
This step is exactly the same as OEM steps from Air Stream. Bolt holes match and installation took 15 minutes. Remove 4 bolts and the steps come off."

switz 03-02-2016 09:14 PM

Suggest calling the factory to verify the mountings for the Classic weird folding aluminum step would also work with the standard steel step. Might save some shipping expense.

Kingsmen 33 03-03-2016 07:30 AM

Step Replacement

My original post which detailed replacement steps should have included that the 25' Flying Cloud was a 2013 model. I had damaged the steps and bent them.
Was not easy to identify replacement steps as there are no dimensions or templates on the various websites. I removed the steps, 4 bolts and around 4 minutes labor, and was able to get accurate dimensions. I found replacement steps readily available and i ordered online at Camping World. Reattached steps using same bolts I removed.
If you go to a dealer it will cost you $300-400 to replace steps. Do it yourself for under $90.

badkat 03-03-2016 08:27 AM

We put on steel steps because of full-timing. Our steel steps were put on by an AS dealer the aluminum steps were wider. They added stainless steel bands to decrease the width. They work great. Glad someone suggested steel.

carl2591 03-04-2016 06:38 AM

good info.. when you say SS bands to decrease width you mean they put a "shim" in on both sides to make up the difference between steel steps width and mounting area on airstream width.. almost like putting a washer in there..

how thick would you say the SS bar is.. any pictures you can share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by badkat (Post 1757145)
We put on steel steps because of full-timing. Our steel steps were put on by an AS dealer the aluminum steps were wider. They added stainless steel bands to decrease the width. They work great. Glad someone suggested steel.