Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/)
-   -   The mysterious world of electricity, or...... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/the-mysterious-world-of-electricity-or-13517.html)

RivetED 08-28-2004 04:33 PM

Pie!

Back in E.E. school I was learned about P=IE :rolleyes: , it has something to do with cooking desert, me thinks. The prof said something about power, but all I do is get hungry?? Go figure :rolleyes: ;) :D !!

krowsea 08-30-2004 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
Back in E.E. school I was learned about P=IE :rolleyes: , it has something to do with cooking desert, me thinks. The prof said something about power, but all I do is get hungry?? Go figure :rolleyes: ;) :D !!

Actually, P=IE has two different versions, the beta mode, and of course, my personal favorite, P=IE ALA Mode.:eek:

John-Boy

krowsea 08-30-2004 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoonc
Major Kewl! I want the flashers...be the FIRST in YOUR at your Airstream rally with the neon and really cool flashing light system. :D Gotta love it, if we want flashers we just plug one in the 7 way. Makes you easy to find and the life of the party :p

krowsea, any Airstream discounts? ;)

Aaron :cool:

I'm surprised, you sound like you've never seen an A/S with a flashing disco ball, Malibu curb lights and an assortment of body mounted colored lights that flash in time to the music. What... am I the only one?

John-Boy
Discounts, we don't need no stink'n discounts! (actually, we don't sell to the public, we sell to the jobbers, who sell to the public):)

norbert 08-30-2004 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krowsea
....Watts on my mind?

I'm going to be testing my Sovereign's elctrical system this weekend, in order to find out why some things work and others don't, as I mentioned before. I'll be checking the Univolt and fuses, and installing a brand spank'n new Optima battery.

snip.........

Thanks in advance, as the emergency room may not let me thank you after the fact, plus there will be lawyers and such hang'n 'round, it could get ugly.

John-Boy

keep doing that voodoo that you do so well...
norby :p

dmadam 09-03-2004 02:42 PM

Optima

get me out of my confusion here. I thought Optima was gell cell until I went to their site and it said is was a lead acid with thin coiled plates instead of thick straight ones. I'm thinking of them so would like to find out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
A Univolt is not a good charger for gel cell battery. They were designed when lead acid was the norm, charging requirements are completely different. It will work but the battery will suffer.

John

krowsea 09-03-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmadam
get me out of my confusion here. I thought Optima was gell cell until I went to their site and it said is was a lead acid with thin coiled plates instead of thick straight ones. I'm thinking of them so would like to find out.

Optimas are not gell cell. They call it an 'electrolite starved' battery, which simply means, there is no free electrolite in the battery. The lead plates are seperated by an electrolite soaked pad and there are no vents. That means the battery can be mounted on it's side, upside down whatever. Even if the battery was cracked or split, no fluid would leak out. I'm not sure if the lack of electrolite is the reason it's not supposed to be used with a Univolt.

John-Boy