Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/)
-   -   Need HELP! Access to the copper pipe. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f163/need-help-access-to-the-copper-pipe-13110.html)

Crazyland 08-04-2004 06:53 PM

Need HELP! Access to the copper pipe.

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know an easy way to get to the copper pipe behind the kick board at the shower entrance. See photo. I believe my second leak is right behind this board and I can't figure how to remove without having to take apart the bathroom. Any suggestions?

thenewkid64 08-04-2004 09:33 PM

Remove the plastic insert in the yellow aluminum extrusion. This will allow you access to the rivets that hold the extrusion in place, and likely hold the panel in place.

That should be all you need to remove, the plastic insert, the rivets, the extrusion, the panel.

If the plastic insert snaps or breaks it is normally available from a dealer for a minimal cost.

Crazyland 08-10-2004 09:57 AM

Got it.

Thanks for the reply. I got it off last weekend only to find more copper splits. Heading to Lowes today to look at the PEX product.

Janets Husband 08-10-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyland
Thanks for the reply. I got it off last weekend only to find more copper splits. Heading to Lowes today to look at the PEX product.

Oh Yes, do the PEX replacement.
Look at the type of connectors that are available a crimp ring or a compression collar type fitting will work.
I used the ones with a crimp ring because I was able to rent the crimp tool. $5.00 per day. It is a high quality connection. The compression collar works also and is great for repairs if you should have trouble down the road.

sovereignrwe 08-11-2004 08:35 AM

Is the PEX able to prevent a split or damage when water is frozen in it?

BobbyW 08-11-2004 06:26 PM

It won't totally prevent a split but, it just will not stretch/swell out of shape like copper. Thus repairs are a matter of cutting out the section and replacing it.

It is also much easier to work with than sweating copper, provided you have the crimper. Or you can use the PEX compression fittings that tighten by hand or the plastic wrench, which is only a couple of dollars.

sovereignrwe 08-13-2004 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyW
...Thus repairs are a matter of cutting out the section and replacing it.

It is also much easier to work with than sweating copper...

Clearly, I'm pretty green. Sweating copper hasn't been that big of a deal. I suppose this has to do with the fact that I expected it to be far more difficult than it turned out to be.

I'm also doing everything I can to maintain the look and feel of original ... plumbing seems silly, but copper pipes are not normal on new trailers (don't know about new A/S).