Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Tow Vehicles (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/)
-   -   Pickup bed covers. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f463/pickup-bed-covers-128664.html)

ROBERTSUNRUS 12-04-2014 11:15 PM

Pickup bed covers.

:) Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers. I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions. Reason for this is that I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck while towing so the bed cover would be partially open at times. So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

Any thoughts or experience on this or similar bed covers?

rmkrum 12-04-2014 11:43 PM

Personally, given a big budget, I prefer a cab-height camper shell with a slider tray installed in the bed. Sadly, no budget, so I run what I have :bb:

That aside, I have a 2002 pickup truck with a roll-up cover that is heavy rubber over aluminum slats that run in the rails. I forget the precise brand name (probably Pace-Edwards??), but what I like about it is that once unlocked and un- latched, the cover slides sorta freely into the box that holds the roll-up part. There is a long nylon strap connected to the center of the last slat that you yank on to close it. Once you yank on the strap, the latching mechanism engages and allows the cover to stay open at about one foot increments, which is convenient for tall objects standing in the back of the truck.

I can't get that much under my 2002 cover because the truck has a very shallow bed and the cover intrudes into the top 3 inches of depth. it's also not particularly waterproof--leaks a lot on the rail edges in Washington State style rainy travel. I line the pickup bed with a large plastic tarp and wrap it up over the load to keep it dry if necessary. If I hadn't gotten this already installed on the truck given to me by my youngest son, I'd not have bought this cover...

My 2012 has a deeper bed, but the one-piece flip-up from the rear rigid tonneau cover barely accomodates spare propane tanks--I'm not sure my rather bulky genset will even go under it. It does not have the same major leaking issues.

And honestly, the cab-high cap I had on my 2008 did dribble a little into the bed from the front corners in VERY hard rain--in Washington State...

Do measure the stuff you intend to carry FIRST before you decide what to get...

Phoenix 12-05-2014 01:56 AM

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I would like to add the following opinion on covers for pickup beds.

We recently switched from a tonneau cover to a camper shell (a.k.a., bed cap), because we needed extra space for mountain bikes. While I intend to sell the old tonneau to offset the cost of this modification, I wish I had purchased a cab height bed cap several years ago, as it would have saved money in the long run. Also, it would have been nice to have the extra space all these years.

Tonneau cover: LT Sport Tonneau Covers - The aluminum truck bed covers by Lazer Lite

Cab height bed cap: Commerical Fiberglass Caps - SNUGPRO | SNUGTOP

KJRitchie 12-05-2014 09:19 AM

I'be got a BakFlip VP sectional cover but they do offer a roll back cover, Rollbak G2. Looks like the price is better than the Retrax. I used youTube to make my decision on which cover to get.

Rollbak G2 on Sale, Free Shipping

One issue with the shell is they are about 100lbs heavier so payload is affect but your new truck has 1700+ lbs so you may be OK.

Kelvin

ghaynes755 12-05-2014 10:35 AM

I looked at them all and from a security standpoint the one that seemed the best was the Roll n Lock models. They lock both on the sides like most covers but also includes a bar for the top edge of the tailgate with two catches. Take a look at their website. Price was about $1200 installed. Some good videos on the Roll-N-Lock | Retractable Tonneau Cover For Your Truck Bed site.

moosetags 12-05-2014 11:00 AM

Hi Bob, tell us about your new truck. I thought that you would have that Navigator forever. Of course, we will need to see pictures of the new truck.

Brian

ROBERTSUNRUS 12-05-2014 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1549877)
Hi Bob, tell us about your new truck. I thought that you would have that Navigator forever. Of course, we will need to see pictures of the new truck.

Brian

:) Hi, Brian; My new truck is a 2014 F-150 Super Crew Cab, V-6 Eco-Boost. It's a 4X4, with the Off Road package, and Max Tow package. The payload is 1745 lbs. And the tow rating, if I figured it out correctly, is 9,450 lbs.

MountaineerStreamer 12-05-2014 12:53 PM

I would vote for the Retrax. Our previous rig - 5th wheel and dually - went for five years with Retrax and I was very pleased. Virtually no maintenance and given the material, secure.

Good luck with your new truck.

Range Mark 12-05-2014 04:06 PM

I have a diamondback SE metal cover on my truck and really like it. It doesn't role up but rather flips up both the front and back half of the bed. I can also carry 100 LBS on top of the cover. They have all styles/types with various accessories available. They shipped right to my house from PA, total cost $1100.00. Definitely a quality product and worth at least a look.

www.diamondbackcovers.com/

Lucky Tom 12-05-2014 05:11 PM

Take a look at this video. This is what I recently purchased for my new Ram 2500 Crew Cab. I really like it. We have already made a trip and it sure cam in handy and gave us peace of mind that we had our stuff protected from the weather and the two legged varmints! It is the Extang Solid Fold. This video shows more. I was able to buy it from a local truck supply as cheaply as online.
SolidFold Installation Video

FishinHatteras 12-05-2014 05:26 PM

Pickup bed covers

I just went thru this dilemma not very long ago. There are TONS of choices. I wanted the roll-up, but this wasn't practical toting dogs around. You are limited in your height as to what you actually have covered with a roll-up, and what you can secure. I ended up with the Leer 100XQ cab height cap. I really liked the smoother lines of the windows, and the options you can put inside, kinda made the choice for me. 100XQ
One other thing that REALLY comes in handy is one of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq6jW9g1OTQ that can be made for pretty cheap if you're a DIY kinda guy/gal. There are tons of variations on this, but the most expensive piece of hardware you will need is the hoist, and they can be bought for under a hundred bucks at your local Northern Tool. This is great for when your neighbor comes over to tell you he "just bought a couch, and I need a truck. I'll give ya 20 bucks for gas if ya..."
Seen that quite a few times in my neighborhood.
Good luck in whatever you choose. I think the Leer will serve you well, given it's diversity and sheer volume of items you can secure in your bed. Bikes, generators, dogs..whateva..throw it in there, secure it, and away you go.
Sea ya on the trail.
Gavin

Lucky Tom 12-05-2014 05:55 PM

This is what I recently purchased for my new Ram 2500 Crew Cab. I really like it. We have already made a trip and it sure cam in handy and gave us peace of mind that we had our stuff protected from the weather and the two legged varmints! It is the Extang Solid Fold. This video shows more. I was able to buy it from a local truck supply as cheaply as online.

Solid Fold

gypsydad 12-05-2014 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1549742)
:) Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers. I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions. Reason for this is that I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck while towing so the bed cover would be partially open at times. So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

We use the extang solid fold tri-fold cover which is strong, light weight, and can easily be folded back when needed to access bed from over the wheel wells. When locked in place with tailgate locked, very secure. One person installation also. We also use a Thule adjustable rack in the bed for our kayak's without taking the cover off; we just fold it open and secure it with the built in latch system. For us, works well. Would think you could use your generator easily with this system also. Around $700~
Extang Product Videos

Have been thinking about a small fiberglass shell cover also, so dog could go in/out into the bed through rear window, and could store larger items which go above the sidewalls, but then I would also need a new racking system...this works fine for us over past 3 years so likely will stay with this for now.

cwf 12-05-2014 08:38 PM

A couple years with Bak-Flip. Perfect. Only negative is having to lift the last section when closing the gate. Also I bought the toolbox which stores up against the cab, off the deck. It folds in mutie sections.

daveswenson 12-05-2014 10:26 PM

I have the Retrax Pro. Couldn't be happier with it.

ROBERTSUNRUS 12-05-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS (Post 1549742)
:) Hi, I studied, long and hard, before buying my new truck, and now I have to study bed covers.
I want a metal, roll up cover that can be locked in many positions.
Reason for this is that
I want to mount and run my generator in the bed of the truck
while towing so
the bed cover would be partially open at times.
So far, I'm leaning towards a Retrax Pro. For my truck it would be model number 40371. [about $1700.00]

:) Hi, I see there are lots of choices, but not all meet my wants/needs. My plan is to mount my generator in the back of the bed so in hot weather, I can run my air conditioner while traveling. Stopping at a camp ground with the inside of my trailer at 103 degrees was not fun. And the time it takes to cool it down was way too long. I will add a generator inlet on the front of my trailer and run a power cord to the generator in the back of the truck. This could also help at rest stops for heating up lunch in the microwave Etc. Therefore I need a cover that can be locked partially open for the running generator and fully closed when not. I wont be bringing bikes, boats, or anything that would need to mounted on top. My dog rides in the back seat area, not in the bed. I don't want a shell; I had one before and it was great for that truck. If I still wanted an enclosed vehicle I could have bought another Navigator or an Expedition. This is all good information for others with pickups trying to decide what works for them too. I like some of the other bed covers, but I can't see how I can drive with fold up covers partially open. I also have to consider the cost of the Retrax Pro and compare it with other options. The price only comes into effect if the cover won't do what I want it for and then it is wasted money.

ghaynes755 12-05-2014 11:58 PM

You can drive with the RollNLock in any of the 3 or 4 positions and it will lock at those spots. I think they are about every 6-8 inches.

mefly2 12-06-2014 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phoenix (Post 1549771)
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but I would like to add the following opinion on covers for pickup beds.

We recently switched from a tonneau cover to a camper shell (a.k.a., bed cap), because we needed extra space for mountain bikes. While I intend to sell the old tonneau to offset the cost of this modification, I wish I had purchased a cab height bed cap several years ago, as it would have saved money in the long run. Also, it would have been nice to have the extra space all these years.

Tonneau cover: LT Sport Tonneau Covers - The aluminum truck bed covers by Lazer Lite

Cab height bed cap: Commerical Fiberglass Caps - SNUGPRO | SNUGTOP

TOTALLY agree !!!

mtndog 12-06-2014 12:27 AM

I have a Retrax Pro on my Tundra. Very pleased with it. It will definitely do what you described. Best of luck in the hunt.

SilverGate 12-06-2014 01:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bob,

Our Retrax lockable, retractable cargo cover is now over eight years old and works great, providing easy access to anything in the cargo area.

RETRAX Truck Bed Cover