Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Anyone ever added a slideout to an Airstream? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/anyone-ever-added-a-slideout-to-an-airstream-127327.html)

streamquest 11-12-2014 01:58 AM

Hi Steve,

Most of the folks commenting on your slide out fantasy probably aren't aware of your impressive credentials as a designer/fabricator. I have no doubt that you could pull this off.

Charly

J. Morgan 11-12-2014 02:15 AM

Anyone ever added a slideout to an Airstream?

I suppose I should have looked at the OPs profile before answering but I didn't. If I had I would have saved my breath, I didn't say anything that was not already known.

Being aware of a persons capabilities and experience makes a difference in any recommendation, especially as it relates to seeing a difficult job to completion.

Fwiw... I have no problem with cutting up a mass produced trailer.

My responses prior were written as if I was responding to a DIY guy starting out on a road that is going to be more difficult than a person might think.

Anyone who has been around projects knows well that our nation is littered with ambitious projects that don't get ever finished.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

Larry C 12-09-2014 07:03 PM

Woodland RV in Grand Rapids, Michigan told me they could, and would do it. The are one of few AS dealers who can take delivery on AS shell to customize....
I promise you if they do it, the final product will appear that it came from the factory, and the price will reflect that!

I've had them do maintenece on ours, and never had a reason to complain..

Larry

MIKO92 06-23-2015 08:32 PM

Keyair, Anything is possible! I am very hopeful that you can do this. As an ex-Aircraft maintainer and CV-22 program test team member, I would suggest doing as much on paper as possible --getting extremely detailed and answering tough questions -- before breaking skin, though. You have the right inclination, asking around, so I have faith that your final product will be one for the books. I hope you keep up on the forum so we can all share your thoughts and learn from the decisions you make!

Keyair 06-25-2015 12:00 AM

Thanks for the support... Not going to hack into this unless I am sure I can do it right.
I have sketched it, measured it, drawn in to scale. Figured out the slides, framework and sealing. I think it can be done.
My only concern is am I up to it... And right now, that's a no.
Costa Rica called, and I said yes... Will be back at the weekend, so will begin to look again...
Pura Vida!

Andrew T 06-25-2015 03:05 AM

From what I understand the reason they stopped building slides is a combination of factors. Sales volume never became that high so on the occasion that they did sell one it took considerably longer to build which slowed the entire line down. With the lost production of other models figured in it was costing more to build each one than they were selling it for.

With the plant expansion I would think we would see one again sometime but I would not expect it soon.

Andrew T