Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   2009-2015 Flying Cloud (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/)
-   -   2015 Flying Cloud 25FB (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f516/2015-flying-cloud-25fb-125637.html)

moosetags 09-20-2014 06:22 PM

2015 Flying Cloud 25FB

Well, we've done it again! After a little less than a year in our 2012 Flying Cloud 23FB, we are going back to a 25FB. Old Lucy was a 2005 Safari 25FB. She was one of the the first FB's ever made. The Factory made about ten units with the door hinged at the rear, before switching to a front hinged door. Old Lucy was one of those. In eight years we spent over 1,400 nights in old Lucy, and towed her about 120,000 miles. Last year we traded her on the 23FB, thinking that we were doing the right thing.

We have spent almost 150 nights in the 23FB, and have towed her about 15,000 miles. We have decided to go back to a 25FB.

We have a deposit on a 2015 FC 25FB Twin at Dixie RV in DeFuniak Springs, Florida. We are still in Amarillo, Texas tonight, making our way back home. We will pick up our new girl sometime next week or the week after.

The first question that I have is about use of the 1,000 watt inverter in the new Airstreams. How do you access the inverter, and what type of electrical items are you using it for?

Brian

switz 09-20-2014 06:32 PM

It could allow a powered (800 watt) microwave, like came in our Classic, to operate with no other AC powered equipment operating. One would have to really search for a hair dryer with that little of a current draw.

One has to consider the factory installed Interstate group 24 batteries and whether you will have a generator or two or solar system to recharge the batteries.

SilverGate 09-20-2014 06:37 PM

Congratulations... and thanks for the ongoing documentation on how the 23FB performed during "Lucy's Big Campout"!

(BTW... even though we have a 600 watt inverter, we have not actually needed to use it in years.)

Bill

Landrum 09-20-2014 07:28 PM

Assuming it hasn't changed (we have a 2014 25fb International) the inverter is located under the bed right next to the nightstand. It powers three outlets: one below each TV and one in the rear roof locker where the radio and Bluray player plug in). If you want to use those items on the inverter you have to move the plugs to the inverter outlets. Again.....this is for a 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

gandttimes 09-20-2014 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1513434)
Assuming it hasn't changed (we have a 2014 25fb International) the inverter is located under the bed right next to the nightstand. It powers three outlets: one below each TV and one in the rear roof locker where the radio and Bluray player plug in). If you want to use those items on the inverter you have to move the plugs to the inverter outlets. Again.....this is for a 2014.

Our 2014 International FB also has an outlet under the dinette.

George

silverbp 09-20-2014 07:56 PM

First off congratulations on your new Airstream. I have a 2014 25 FC FB Twin and I love it. Been out a few times and look forward to spending a few months on the road. this is my first airstream. Glad I got her.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums silver bp

moosetags 09-20-2014 10:47 PM

Another question, is there an electrical outlet on or near the night stand in the twin bed configuration?

Brian

Wayne&Sam 09-20-2014 10:59 PM

On our 2014 rear twin there is a regular outlet at the head of one bed the other bed ( with the tv) has a regular outlay and an inverter outlet.

moosetags 09-20-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam (Post 1513506)
On our 2014 rear twin there is a regular outlet at the head of one bed the other bed ( with the tv) has a regular outlay and an inverter outlet.

Thanks. We were tying to determine if there was an electrical outlet for a lamp at the nightstand.

Brian

moosetags 09-21-2014 08:40 AM

On the ducted a/c system, is there a dust filter somewhere that can be cleaned?

Brian

switz 09-21-2014 09:04 AM

We retrofitted a unique 20 Amp duplex outlet that has two USB charging ports below the drawer in the night stand between the twin beds.

Newer Technology Power2U Dual Socket USB Wall Outlet

We also have the two duplex outlets above the twin bed pillows and one for the television installed by Airstream.

We changed both television outlets to ones with a power switch so the television is truly off when not in use and thus not consuming power from an inverter for the instant on "feature". We just completed replacing all the factory installed outlets with high grade 20 amp GFI outlets wiring so that one tripping does not kill the entire power circuit. Thus we now have only standard circuit breakers in the box - no GFI breaker.

aftermath 09-21-2014 10:02 AM

Brian,

Years ago I read many of your postings with great interest. We were thinking about a 25FB and you helped make up our minds. I was a bit surprised to read that you had decided to downsize. Not many do that but to each his own.

I would love to up size to a 27FB because we are dedicated to keeping the queen bed and this would be a good way to gain the extra space we would like. Of course the ducted air would also be a nice addition. With the twin beds that you are getting, your decision sounds like a very sound one.

Best wishes to you. May you have many more trips to enjoy. Keep posting, I am looking forward to hearing all about the AC system.

Dick

dkottum 09-21-2014 11:14 AM

We agree the 25 is a good balance between too big and too small. I don't like the current dinette setup so we changed it, I am surprised they don't offer another seating choice. The queen bed arrangement is something we are also dedicated to, but the twin bed on each side is certainly an excellent choice for those who have difficulty getting in and out of it.

idroba 09-21-2014 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1513415)

The first question that I have is about use of the 1,000 watt inverter in the new Airstreams. How do you access the inverter, and what type of electrical items are you using it for?

Brian

If it is the same WFCO inverter used in the 2014's it is hooked up to several dedicated inverter outlets.

Since the WFCO that I have has a 1.75 to 1.90 idle current draw, you do not want to leave it on when you are not using it, or have minor loads on it as the idle draw is significant.

I have used mine frequently for powering a "real" electric toaster (about 800 watts) or a small microwave (again maybe 900 watts). Since they take 80 to 90 amps at 12 volts you don't want to leave them on or use them a lot, but they do work well for short time use.

For smaller 120 volt use loads I have a second inverter, a Morningstar true sine, which not only has a much lower idle current draw of 0.4 amps, but a search function which automatically shuts it off when no power is being used from it. I like that feature very much.

AnnArborBob 09-21-2014 12:47 PM

We have a 2014 FB Eddie Bauer and the inverter is located under the bed as with the 25. We added some bedside inverter outlets for my CPAP. The other day I was looking at the inverter unit itself and was pleased to see that it is a 1,000 watt pure sine wave inverter and not the cheaper modified sine wave inverter. Kudos to Airstream for not going cheap on the inverter. That's one less piece of electrical equipment that needs to be upgraded!

lsbrodsky 09-21-2014 01:11 PM

Good to see you back in the 25FB group! I was a bit surprised when you sized down to the 23.
Larry

gypsydad 09-21-2014 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkottum (Post 1513657)
We agree the 25 is a good balance between too big and too small. I don't like the current dinette setup so we changed it, I am surprised they don't offer another seating choice. The queen bed arrangement is something we are also dedicated to, but the twin bed on each side is certainly an excellent choice for those who have difficulty getting in and out of it.

We have the 14' FC FB Twin also...the twin bed models offer more sleeping surface (70"X34"ea) than the queen (60"w) plus you get the added space between the beds which is very useful for dressing. Plus you get the 3 large outside storage bins with the twin models...many people miss that important feature. :rolleyes: Only thing we miss is the 25' RB model includes a microwave above the fridge and also has window in bathroom, and slightly more space in the lave also... oh well...wish they offered a different living/dinning area, similar to the 28'. L shaped couch and separate dining is nice...we are happy for now...

moosetags 09-21-2014 10:59 PM

SuEllyn has been uncomfortable with the 23FB floor plan. It's a thing with the layout more than the size. Every time someone exits the dinette, it's in mid aisle. She always feels that she can't get through, or that she is in the way. We have been on our current trip for two months, and we have spent a total of 145 nights in the 23FB.

We feel that we have given it a fair try-out before deciding to return to a 25FB.

Brian

moosetags 09-22-2014 06:58 AM

Our 2005 25FB had the queen bed configuration. We actually prefer the queen bed, but opted for the twins to get the get the much more ample outside storage.

Brian

Airtandem 09-22-2014 07:23 AM

OK; You haven't mentioned a name yet. Is this another Lucy ?

Wayne&Sam 09-22-2014 07:24 AM

"We retrofitted a unique 20 Amp duplex outlet that has two USB charging ports below the drawer in the night stand between the twin beds. "

I added a USB port on each side of the nightstand, powered by 12v. Turns out airstream did the same on 2015s I hear.

mefly2 09-22-2014 08:10 AM

In our 2015 International LE Eddie Bauer 25' FB/Queen, there is an outlet by the side of the FB, but it is NOT connected to the inverter circuit. There are also two USB ports by that same shelf.

The 1000w inverter on our 2015 (as opposed to our previous 2013 EB model with the 6-800watt) is located under the FB and it is rather noisy as there is fan cooling which comes on when the circuit is activated. As for inverter outlets, there is one by the FB TV, one by the main TV, one above the dining area - with the blue ray player / splitter, and IIRC one by the rear hatch (??). There is a control switch to turn on the inverter and activate the outlets; the switch is in the galley. Our Lifeline batts do very well with the inverter use. They are drawn down only 5-10% after having on both TVs, the blue-ray player, Clarion Stereo, and the splitter turned on for ~3 hours... as well as having the 12vdc cabin lights as needed ( the main TV must be turned on in order to have a signal to the Clarion and audio from the speakers in the FB)

The batts have not been utilized for powering the microwave as we use our generator for that purpose. That provides just enough time to top off the batts early in the morning, microwave whatever we like for breakfast (usually waffles, sausage, coffee, & hot choc), and sometimes give the electric hot water a boost, Solar keeps the batts at 100% even after use of the furnace in freezing temperatures (continental divide) this past weekend. As you already know, the biggest source of current draw is the furnace fan... but still the AGM batts in our 2015 EB were at 75% after an evening of DVDs and ~8-10 furnace cycles.

Only 55 days out in our Eddie so far this season, but the 25EB is a keeper! Plus the new ducted air is fan-tastic !!!

Maybe someday Eddie will meet Lucy!

lsbrodsky 09-22-2014 09:30 AM

Based on this thread, I just installed a duplex outlet with 2 USB charging ports in the nightstand in my 2012 25 FB. Purchased at Lowe's, fits fine. I continue to be amazed at the cheap stuff RV's use, in this case the outlet that I removed. I wish there was a way to convert to ducted air....without buying a 2015.
Larry

moosetags 09-22-2014 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airtandem (Post 1514084)
OK; You haven't mentioned a name yet. Is this another Lucy ?

Yes, our new Girl will also be called Lucy. We will refer to the priors as Old Lucy (the 2005 25FB) and Little Lucy (the 23FB).

Brian

moosetags 09-22-2014 11:07 AM

2015 Lucy has the microwave/convection oven option. We have not had this in either of the prior Lucys.

As most here already know, SuEllyn and I are microwave people. We don't even buy microwave dinners that take more than one step. The two step dinners are too much gourmet cooking for us.

That being said, tell us how the microwave function works in this contraption. Is it a good microwave? What do you use the convection function for, and how does it work?

Brian

dkottum 09-22-2014 12:24 PM

I don't like gadgets with complex controls and our conv/microwave is a good example. If you figure out how to use it, the convection part works well, I think the microwave is pretty weak but we don't use the microwave much.

The incredible thing is we have to different ovens in this little house, one electric and one gas, to bake or roast something wherever we are.

KJRitchie 09-22-2014 01:40 PM

When the factory replaces the gas oven with a micro/conv oven they seem too low to be able to comfortably use the pushbutton controls. You'd have to get on your hands and knees to see the controls.

Then on the other hand the gas oven generates so much heat in the summer time we don't use it and we carry along a smaller toaster oven to bake our late evening cookies. I could see a convection microwave being handy in the smaller AS where the factory places the unit above the 5 cu/ft fridge but they still keep the gas oven instead of creating more drawers or cabinets in those models.

Our 2008 Classic 25 has a microwave that hangs under the cabinet over the sink. It's larger than most microwaves we've seen in RVs. I wish it could do convection cooking so we could ditch the toaster oven and just have a toaster.

I could switch to Toaster Strudels instead of Toll House cookie dough for my evening treat.

Kelvin

Wayne&Sam 09-22-2014 02:00 PM

On the rear twin, the microwave is over the refrigerator. Not too low at all. And it has a regular oven.

lsbrodsky 09-22-2014 02:32 PM

We have the microwave/conv on our 25FB and I am happy with it, except that the controls are lower than anyone would like. The microwave is plenty strong; we regularly use Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine side dishes to go with whatever I grill. The package direction times are fine so the oven wattage is fine. As for convection, we have baked cookies and broiled bread with cheese. I had a gas oven on my boat for 20 years and I like this better.
Larry

Tincampers 09-22-2014 02:44 PM

The microwave pops corn. That is all I need. Haven't tested the convection part.

moosetags 09-22-2014 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky (Post 1514396)
We have the microwave/conv on our 25FB and I am happy with it, except that the controls are lower than anyone would like. The microwave is plenty strong; we regularly use Stouffer's, Lean Cuisine side dishes to go with whatever I grill. The package direction times are fine so the oven wattage is fine. As for convection, we have baked cookies and broiled bread with cheese. I had a gas oven on my boat for 20 years and I like this better.
Larry

You said the magic words, "Stouffer's Lean Cuisine". That is our primary diet. If Lucy's microwave can handle can handle these, we are good.

Brian

moosetags 09-22-2014 08:21 PM

Tell us how the new stationary TV antenna compares to the old crank-up type.

Brian

Shastalorie 09-22-2014 09:34 PM

Brian,
Trying to learn how to reply! The switch on your new 25ft Flying Cloud will be to the left of the range hood just under the tank read outs. There are specially marked outlets that use the inverter power when you flip it on. I was told it will power the tv for a couple of hours when dry camping. We are so excited for you.

Foiled Again 09-22-2014 09:42 PM

I have to read the convection directions every time I want to use it that way. I do heat up coffee and soup on microwave a lot.

I do cook, but it's a PITA for one person, therefore I try to cook six to eight servings of anything that reheats well. Then zip into a boiling bag, vacuum out the air and freeze, or throw onto a covered plate for one or two days in the fridge if I plan to use it sooner.

Cooking and freezing is a very economical way to dine. And if you cook for three or four days, you can eat for the rest of the month without doing more than boiling the occasional egg or throwing together a salad.

Things like stew tend to get better as leftovers. Also you can roast a turkey on day one, make turkey sandwiches day two, pick the rest of the meat off the bones, add veggies and make turkey pot pie on day 3, last leftovers make turkey noodle soup. (even the neck meat goes in that!)

Paula

mefly2 09-22-2014 10:23 PM

The 2015 convection microwave seems to have just bit more power (YMMV) and works great for us. (second unit that we have had one in ... (we prep food at home before we leave and use the micro to finish / warm it up) DW often has fresh choc chip cookies, muffins, or rolls to share with other campers before I have the rig completely set up! Convection uses a bit more power, but the microwave side is fairly efficient - even if you use a gas gen for power. It is efficient and fast for hot water for coffee and hot choc - can't beat it!

The lower mounting point prevents spilled hot items in the face as may happen when spill arise from upper mounted units. We like it!

However the stationary TV antenna does not provide the selectivity for a good signal from marginal sources...ughhh.

BassCan 09-22-2014 10:36 PM

Moosetags we have enjoyed reading your posts on your travels. Congrats on your new 25 FC. Hope to see you at Canopener this year.

moosetags 09-22-2014 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shastalorie (Post 1514649)
Brian,
Trying to learn how to reply! The switch on your new 25ft Flying Cloud will be to the left of the range hood just under the tank read outs. There are specially marked outlets that use the inverter power when you flip it on. I was told it will power the tv for a couple of hours when dry camping. We are so excited for you.

Hi Lorie and Jack,

We're glad to see that you are now on Airforums. As you can see, we have gotten a 2015 25FB. We are still on our trip, and will pick up the new Lucy after we get home. We enjoyed meeting you in Seattle, and seeing your new Airstream.

Brian

moosetags 09-23-2014 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BassCan (Post 1514666)
Moosetags we have enjoyed reading your posts on your travels. Congrats on your new 25 FC. Hope to see you at Canopener this year.

We live about three miles from Topsail CG. We have not made it to the Can Opener for the last several years due to a schedule conflict. Hopefully, next year we can at least come by and visit for a while.

Brian

switz 09-23-2014 07:40 AM

As I remember, on our 2013 25FB International Serenity, the 600 watt inverter could power the two televisions and the electronics bay and an outlet under the dinette table. These were all a different color than the shore power only outlets.

moosetags 09-28-2014 01:24 PM

We are now back in Santa Rosa Beach with Little Lucy (23FB). We will spend the next few days getting all of our stuff out of the 23FB and cleaning her up.

We are scheduled to pick up our new girl (the 25FB) next Thursday at the Airstream Dealer in Defuniak Springs.

Brian

cegardner 09-30-2014 04:07 PM

we are going to pick up our 25 FR 2015 twin in one week. We upgraded from a 22' sport 2013. It was a a dream to tow and very reliable. We needed a better bed configuration and just more wide body room for longer stays and hauls. Very excited and we will be asking service all about the inverter and capabilities. We have an inverter in our Tow Vehicle but it does not power much. Forget a hair dryer on these inverters.

Photobum 09-30-2014 04:49 PM

I bought a 2015 FC FB in August. Aside from replacing the water pump the first week I am very pleased with it, and have towed 4,000 miles since I got it.

The antennae is so-so and I have installed satellite. (I have an addiction to baseball and college football, mea culpa....)

I will be having a solar install by Lew Farber in November, and then I foresee a lot of boon docking in the southwest.

moosetags 10-01-2014 08:15 PM

Tomorrow is the day. We get the 2015 25FB tomorrow in Defuniak Springs. Our neighbors are referring to the new Lucy as Lucy 3.0. Little Lucy is all cleaned up and ready to go. We will give a full report tomorrow with lots of pictures.

Brian

moosetags 10-02-2014 09:12 PM

8 Attachment(s)
We went up to DeFuniak Springs and took delivery of Lucy today at Dixie RV. Things went without a hitch, and our New Lucy is perfect. It took us about three hours to change out the Hensley, but We can do it better than most technicians. We got our new girl home at about 6 PM and got her settled in.

We took a few pictures when we picked her up.

Brian

Airtandem 10-02-2014 09:29 PM

Looks great, have fun and enjoy the ride.
mike

RVDreamer 10-02-2014 09:46 PM

Great looking unit. Hope you have fun with her.:D

Shastalorie 10-02-2014 10:40 PM

Congratulations!

Hope you love it!

moosetags 10-03-2014 07:37 AM

Ducted Air Conditioner Filters

New Lucy has the ducted air conditioning. I am trying to find the air conditioner filters. I am assuming that they are somewhere behind the air return grates in the ceiling. Where are the filters, and how are they accessed?

Also. it seem like a couple of the air conditioner registers are not blowing any air. Are these adjustable, and how is it done?

Neither the dealer nor the Airstream manuals could help.

Brian

Wayne&Sam 10-03-2014 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1519441)
Things went without a hitch, .....

I hope they gave you a good discount because you're going to need a hitch.......

moosetags 10-03-2014 08:16 AM

We removed and reinstalled our old Hensley ourselves in the dealer's parking lot.

Brian

KJRitchie 10-03-2014 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1519562)

Also. it seem like a couple of the air conditioner registers are not blowing any air. Are these adjustable, and how is it done?

Brian

Call Airstream and let us know what they say. Tell them also your dealer hasn't a clue and should get some training. Mention the manual deficiency.

Goal15 10-03-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

New Lucy has the ducted air conditioning. I am trying to find the air conditioner filters. I am assuming that they are somewhere behind the air return grates in the ceiling. Where are the filters, and how are they accessed?

Brian

Oh, you wanted filters with that? :rolleyes:

Wayne&Sam 10-03-2014 09:08 AM

Bad pun on my part.

mefly2 10-03-2014 09:15 AM

Quote:

Brian

We just vacuum the intake grills - which seem to do a fair job of filtering the air.

Lance M 10-03-2014 11:16 AM

Congrats on the new trailer, Brian!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam (Post 1519626)
Bad pun on my part.

I thought it was very funny.:wally:

moosetags 10-03-2014 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made some progress on the intake filters. I was able to remove the grate and clean the filter. The grate has a spring clip on each end.

Brian

Photobum 10-04-2014 06:36 AM

Moosetags,

Noticed that you shot that on the kitchen sink. A suggestion is to cut that thing in half, allowing you a cutting board and access to the sink at the same time.

knunut 10-04-2014 07:17 AM

Congrats on Lucy 3 .Have many more nights on the road.

moosetags 10-04-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photobum (Post 1520073)
Moosetags,

Noticed that you shot that on the kitchen sink. A suggestion is to cut that thing in half, allowing you a cutting board and access to the sink at the same time.

Thanks for that tip as we have never used the sink covers and usually just store them away.

Brian

Antique Pedaler 10-04-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photobum (Post 1520073)
Moosetags,

I ran that by my wife who says that's a great idea😉. She's kept our lid under the mattress unused for 5 years.

Photobum 10-04-2014 10:31 AM

I like to cook. I would love to design an Airstream kitchen. I took the wardrobe next to the reefer and had JC put shelves in. Now I have a real pantry...storing pots and pans, baking stuff, etc...real room to store food.

moosetags 10-04-2014 02:29 PM

On New Lucy, only about half of the air conditioner ducts have air coming out of them. Do I have something mis-adjusted?

Brian

KJRitchie 10-04-2014 03:55 PM

I can't believe AS would ship a new trailer without checking the ducts were outputting. Is there a way to close them off? Can you feel a lot of air coming out some? Tape strips of tissue paper on each duct to see if there is actually air coming out. If not then call Airstream on Monday. Hope its something simple and you don't have to take it back to the dealer.
Good luck.

Kelvin

moosetags 10-06-2014 08:35 AM

I can't locate any way to turn off or adjust the various air conditioner vents. I'll do a little more looking.

Brian

moosetags 10-06-2014 08:40 AM

What the heck happened to the cigarette lighter outlets?????????

I went to plug in my little 12DC fan this morning and discovered that the 12 volt outlets that had been in my previous two Airstreams were no longer there. When did they get deleted? Our 2012 23FB had them. I will miss these outlets. I used them quite often. I guess that I will have to add some. Has anyone else done this?

Brian

Wayne&Sam 10-06-2014 09:25 AM

Probably because most devices use USB now. I have one in the cabinet with the blue ray.

I added a USB outlet on either side of the nightstand. I just pulled the power from a light in the storage compartment.

mefly2 10-06-2014 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1520271)
On New Lucy, only about half of the air conditioner ducts have air coming out of them. Do I have something mis-adjusted?

Brian

We have varying airflow out of our ducts, but they all deliver conditioned air... more in the center of the AS but still a significant flow at either end ... no adjustments, however; just the fan speed.

No 12VDC power points in ours either - just USB. We, too miss the 12v power points; it is confounding that they were ALL removed!

switz 10-07-2014 08:37 AM

There were no 12Vdc power points in the 2014 Classic even though there is a round hole in the stereo cabinet (I guess the extra $2 they made in profit by not installing it...:blink::sad:)

I added a 12Vdc outlet under the dinette table support ledge on the face of the dinette cabinet/seat. That is in the middle of the trailer so the little Fantastic Floor fan can be plugged in there and move air either direction.

dkottum 10-07-2014 08:58 AM

We use a Dyson Hot heater/fan that quietly heats and/or moves the heated or cooled air where you want it.

Airtandem 10-07-2014 10:58 AM

I purchased a 110 to 12 V 100mili from Amazon for $3.? (about 1/2 size of pk of cigs). NO, I don't smoke,quit 35 yrs ago. I carry with me , just in case.
mike

moosetags 10-08-2014 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam (Post 1521017)
Probably because most devices use USB now. I have one in the cabinet with the blue ray.

I added a USB outlet on either side of the nightstand. I just pulled the power from a light in the storage compartment.

I see the various USB outlets in New Lucy. These are great to charge a cell phone, but are not suitable to power my little oscillating auto fans that I have been using for years in the Airstreams.

I just purchased a couple of power converters to use with the fans in New Lucy. The little $3 ones are less than 10 milliamp output, and are insufficient to power my 4 amp fans. I had to purchase the $20 ones to get enough 12 volt power output.

I don't know why Airstream decided that the cigarette lighter type 12 volt outlets were obsolete.

Brian

Wayne&Sam 10-08-2014 08:04 AM

I'll bet if you did a survey the overwhelming majority of those 12v outlets are used to charge phones and the like.

The one 12v outlet I do have is convent for me to power the router for my rearview cam.

moosetags 10-08-2014 08:05 AM

2015 Lucy has the new stationary "flying saucer" TV antenna. It does not work as well as the old "crank up" type. With the old antenna I used to get 12 stations included all of the networks here at the house. The "new improved" antenna gets me one PBS channel not very well.

On some features, Airstream seems to be going backwards.

Brian

Gsmblue 10-08-2014 08:24 AM

While I was excited about the USB outlets, I did not realize it would be at the expense of all the 12V outlets.

The 12V are useful for fans, vacuum cleaners, compressors etc. It makes no sense to plug a widget into the inverter outlet to get back to 12V... I will have to work out how to install an outlet by the door on my 25RB.

The new antenna is good enough for me. I don't plan on watching much TV. The bigger problem is the location, it eats into the prime solar panel location !!!

Has anyone worked out where to put solar??

Antique Pedaler 10-08-2014 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Back to the sink cover idea, here's our new cutting board with faucet access. THANKS FOR THE TIP.Attachment 223969

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Photobum 10-08-2014 08:01 PM

Enjoy....

moosetags 10-09-2014 09:45 AM

On the new 25FB, the bathroom mirror/cabinet door does not have any brace or other device to hold the door open. It's a juggling act to hold the door open with one hand while trying to place or retrieve items in the cabinet with the other.

As I recall the 2005 25FB had a cabinet door holding device similar to the one that holds the rear bumper compartment open.

Was this something that Airstream deemed unnecessary, or was something inadvertently left off of New Lucy?

Brian

Landrum 10-09-2014 10:11 AM

Our 2014 25fb has the same issue, so I don't think anything is missing.

moosetags 10-09-2014 08:11 PM

I'll fix it myself. Glad to hear that it was made that way. I'll figure out a solution.

Brian

lewster 10-09-2014 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1522065)
2015 Lucy has the new stationary "flying saucer" TV antenna. It does not work as well as the old "crank up" type. With the old antenna I used to get 12 stations included all of the networks here at the house. The "new improved" antenna gets me one PBS channel not very well.

Brian

Brian,

Look in to the JACK antenna from King Controls. I use them in almost all of my solar installations as a replacement for the old crank-up, which usually takes up the equivalent of an entire 135 watt solar panel. The Jack is on an 11" mast that rotates from inside the trailer and is a digital, amplified type antenna with signal meter. I have gotten excellent reviews from my clients.:D

The new antenna Airstream is using reminds me of the 'flying saucer' type that is used on the Interstate coach. That is the first thing I remove on the AI too!

lewster 10-09-2014 08:27 PM

Quote:

Brian

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gsmblue (Post 1522078)
While I was excited about the USB outlets, I did not realize it would be at the expense of all the 12V outlets.

The 12V are useful for fans, vacuum cleaners, compressors etc. It makes no sense to plug a widget into the inverter outlet to get back to 12V... I will have to work out how to install an outlet by the door on my 25RB.

The new antenna is good enough for me. I don't plan on watching much TV. The bigger problem is the location, it eats into the prime solar panel location !!!

Has anyone worked out where to put solar??

A 25FB has lots of usable space for solar. You just need the right size/shape for your panels: Welcome to AM Solar_Your RV Solar Specialists since 1987

mefly2 10-09-2014 10:21 PM

Quote:

Brian

Yep ...been saying that since July !

Landrum 10-10-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1522845)
I'll fix it myself. Glad to hear that it was made that way. I'll figure out a solution.

Brian

I think something like this would do the trick.......

https://www.cshardware.com/fr-xlklok-lh.html

KJRitchie 10-10-2014 03:15 PM

I had to remove my bath overhead cabinet latch, its the bar that has a keyed slot so it can support the overhead because everyone in my family was trying to pull it straight down, like the wood cabinets in the kitchen and bending it. I'm thinking of putting the same fittings from the kitchen cabinets on each end of the bath cabinet. Hope is not too heavy.

Kelvin

moosetags 10-13-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1523111)
I think something like this would do the trick.......

Left Hand Stay Open Lift Support

Thanks for the tip on this item.

Brian

dbj216 10-13-2014 01:36 PM

Cabinet Door Stays

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Moosetags! I'm so envious of New Lucy. Congratulations.

And I'm disappointed with the omissions of convenient items in the new Airstream models. But I'm sure with your experience you will get New Lucy dressed up nice and proper.

I was wondering if a simple spring cylinder overhead cabinet door stay would work on New Lucy's bathroom mirror? These have been on my Airstream for almost 30 years and still work. And my 66 has the ones Kelvin mentioned.

I'm sure you have exactly what will work on order. But I'd thought I'd be a "Johnnie come lately".

David

Landrum 10-13-2014 05:18 PM

I'm not trying to speak for Brian, but these bathroom cabinet doors have the mirror mounted to them and they are pretty heavy. What you posted would work as long as it would support the weight.

Mike S. 10-13-2014 05:53 PM

This has probably been brought up before, but I couldn't believe Airstream didn't install a toilet paper holder in my new 25fb international. I saw where you were discussing the mirror and the hinge. This has got to be more important. Anything to save a buck, I guess.

Landrum 10-13-2014 06:14 PM

Our 23fb had one which we didn't like (look or location) so we replaced. When we got our 25fb we ordered the same accessories we used in the 23, so I'm not even sure if we have a OEM TP holder or not??

moosetags 10-13-2014 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1524375)
I'm not trying to speak for Brian, but these bathroom cabinet doors have the mirror mounted to them and they are pretty heavy. What you posted would work as long as it would support the weight.

Yes, the large mirror door is fairly heavy. After a lot of looking on-line we found some piano bench lid supports that look like they can handle the job. They appear to be a very similar mechanism that is used to hold up the access door on the rear bumper storage compartment on the Airstream.

Brian

moosetags 10-13-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike S. (Post 1524396)
This has probably been brought up before, but I couldn't believe Airstream didn't install a toilet paper holder in my new 25fb international. I saw where you were discussing the mirror and the hinge. This has got to be more important. Anything to save a buck, I guess.

We thought the same about New Lucy until I was putting items in the cabinet next to the toilet. I noticed that Airstream had installed a toilet paper holder mounted to the underside of the bathroom counter inside the cabinet. You may have one in that same location.

Brian

moosetags 10-14-2014 07:26 AM

We're getting New Lucy packed and provisioned today. We will take her to Jacksonville tomorrow on her first overnight trip. We will camp there until next Monday and then return to Santa Rosa Beach. We plan to tow her with Olivia (the 2005 Suburban) and give Fred (the 2011 Duramax) a rest after his western states jaunt.

We have tested all of Lucy's systems, and all appears to be working. We have had 4 inches of rain here since yesterday which slowed down our preparations, but we think we're getting close. At least we are confident that New Lucy is leak free.

The rain is supposed to clear out tomorrow, and we are looking forward to a good maiden voyage.

Brian

KJRitchie 10-14-2014 12:10 PM

Did you get the AC duct issue resolved?

lsbrodsky 10-14-2014 01:22 PM

When you find something you like for the bath mirror please post a link. I have the same issue.
Larry

Wayne&Sam 10-14-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1524599)
At least we are confident that New Lucy is leak free.

Ha! We towed our new 25 FC home in a deluge of epic proportions. Then the first day of our first big trip, we hit another one.

Nary a drop inside!

moosetags 10-14-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KJRitchie (Post 1524724)
Did you get the AC duct issue resolved?

No, not yet. It will have to wait until we get back from Jacksonville. I'm going to call JC about it. It's too new. The dealers don't know squat about the duct system.

Brian

moosetags 10-14-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lsbrodsky (Post 1524756)
When you find something you like for the bath mirror please post a link. I have the same issue.
Larry

I will do that. The piano seat lid stays should be here by the time we get back from Jacksonville.

Brian

switz 10-14-2014 02:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Our Classic has a long mirror medicine cabinet door that is top hinged with no stay open support. We used matching hickory wood and a stainless steel door hinge to create this shelf support. One opens the door above the hinge and the hinge falls down to the support and one can then lower the door. Raise the door and fold up the hinge to lower the door and push it until it clicks.

We installed only one support. The two outboard screws go through the wall into the hanging closet at the foot of the bed and then a stainless steel fender washer and then are capped with acorn nuts. The hinge is parallel to the door when the door is opened level.

ggoat!!! 10-14-2014 02:51 PM

That big hinge thing is always out in full view?

Gene 10-14-2014 03:34 PM

The hydraulic hinges on rear SUV doors may be better if you have space to install one. It will make lifting the mirror door easier and hold it up while you search for something. Otherwise, locking hinges are probably available at any big box store like Lowe's. Once locked they can support a lot of weight as long as the screws don't back out, a common problem on RV's. Use something like Locktite on the screws. The piano hinges you ordered should be fine too.

Welcome back to the 25' world.

Where to after Jacksonville?

Gene