Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   General Repair Forum (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/)
-   -   Has this happened to you! (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/has-this-happened-to-you-122880.html)

indy 07-22-2014 11:03 AM

Has this happened to you!

Ok I know this will be hard to believe but.
It started this spring we had a RV mat out at a location that was 60's in the day.
And then it started our old used mat was out and life is good, and then we noticed our rv mat was showing signs of some sort of meltdown.
No kidding it looked as if some one had sprayed some sort of chemical on it and it was just dissolving before our eyes. Not sure who would have done this to our mat or why.
Not to dwell on it we purchased a new own for our summer travels.

And here we go again. A week into our trip and our mat is melting.

So to try to figure out what the heck is going on? We sprayed insect spry on it and nope that's not it. White gas, lighter fluid, nope.

And now on a sunny morning I steeped out of our 1962 Safari, and what do I see ?
The sun reflecting off the side of the polished skin and the pics tell the rest of the story.!l

AWCHIEF 07-22-2014 11:12 AM

And now the rest of the story? I love a good mystery.

indy 07-22-2014 11:19 AM

Still working on pics

indy 07-22-2014 11:34 AM

Here is one of the pics

1 Attachment(s)
Meltdown

indy 07-22-2014 11:37 AM

Meltdown

Ic two the broom stopped the meltdown where it was on the mat

indy 07-22-2014 11:42 AM

Meltdown

1 Attachment(s)
Pic two.?

Lily&Me 07-22-2014 11:55 AM

Kinda wild. :huh:

Might go to just a door mat.

Maggie

AWCHIEF 07-22-2014 11:58 AM

Are there any other chemicals in the compartment that you store the mat? Bug sprays will react with and melt plastics.

perryg114 07-22-2014 12:22 PM

DEET in bug spray will eat plastics for lunch. Anyone who ever left a bottle of DEET in a backpack knows what I am talking about. It may not melt it right away but it will slowly dissolve plastics.

Perry

pbearsailor 07-22-2014 12:53 PM

It's just a normal shiny door within a door issue. :wally: They can actually start a fire.

Cheers,
Steve :)

Phoenix 07-22-2014 04:06 PM

Our Bambi melted a pair of flip-flops on concrete, and it's not polished!

J. Morgan 07-23-2014 12:18 AM

Has this happened to you!

Ever take a magnifying vanity mirror out in the sun ???

Lol, they put shame to a magnifying glass with regard to starting fires,

The shiny camper is reflecting light focused from a relatively large area into a relatively small area..... And getting it very hot.

Normally this focusing would require a dish shaped reflective area like maybe a shallow dent or depression for it to be effective, but at a long focus distance the dishing could be very subtle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

A W Warn 07-23-2014 04:50 AM

Better move the chairs away and no napping near there.
:blink:Danger - spontaneous human combustion:huh:

Protagonist 07-23-2014 06:37 AM

This is the reason they put awnings on trailers! Keeps the side of the trailer shady so there's no reflection to melt plastic.

Shacksman 07-23-2014 07:09 AM

I set fire to a pair of socks that I put in the reflection, to dry them. It will easily melt a plastic mat.

Peggy Wilson 07-23-2014 10:44 PM

I agree it is the door in a door thing!
The curve shape concentrating the suns rays.
It only happens when the awning is rolled up, and the door is open and the sun is reflecting back on the mat from the doors inner skin.
Wow, look at the pics and you can see the suns reflection on the mat!

Polish on Airstreamer's.

In search of fire-blanket mat!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Mockinbrd 07-26-2014 10:55 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I found this on the www.wonderfulengineering.com

Skyscraper Literally Melts A Car In England

Attachment 217467

BY ADMIN - SEPTEMBER, 19TH 2013
Wouldn’t you have hated it if you parked your car next to a gleaming skyscraper only to find hours later that the same skyscraper had melted your car by converging the sunlight? That is what happened to one unfortunate Jaguar Owner, Mr Martin Linsday when he parked his shiny new black Jaguar next to the newly constructed 37 storey skyscraper.

Attachment 217468

Dubbed as the “Walkie Talkie” due to its unique shape, the skyscraper has a bend in its Facade which makes the whole building act as a converging mirror. The street opposite to the skyscraper now bears the brunt of upto 70 degree celsius of concentrated sunlight.

Attachment 217469

So when Mr Martin parked his car that morning, he had no idea that such a thing could happen and ruin his car. The story of him finding about the “accident” is also pretty interesting. A photographer who was walking around the area noticed the car in bad shape. He casually went upto a stranger who was standing on the footpath and said ” Have you seen that car? The owner wont be happy”. The stranger remarked, ” Well, I am the owner and thats pretty awful”. The windscreen had a note beneath the wiper which was from the construction company that is constructing the skyscraper. It read ” Your Car’s Buckled, Could you please give us a call?”.

Attachment 217470

This incident has sparked a new debate on the viability of the skyscraper design as it has started to effect the life of commuters on the street. With temperatures soaring upto 80 degree celsius, this could also cause serious burns to some unsuspecting passer by. Therefore, the construction company is now planning to modify the design of the building.
Nevertheless, the Jaguar of this unlucky owner is ruined and it must have felt awful. Check out some of the pictures of the car and the youtube video below.

Attachment 217471

I think this is the issue you are describing.
Mockinbrd

Mockinbrd 07-26-2014 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Also on the same website was this interesting photo. It's unrelated to the discussion here, I'll just say, hope no ones AS travels encounters this kind of www.wonderfulengineering.com

Attachment 217472

openroad118 07-26-2014 12:19 PM

If you're camping in Yellowstone, get out now!

subfan1 07-26-2014 05:31 PM

The Jag has an aluminum body, I just thought of those new aluminum Ford trucks that are going to be towing Airstreams. They should not park them close to their trailers in the sun!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums