Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Wheels, Hubs & Bearings (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f465/)
-   -   Wheel Bearing 1977 Overlander 27 foot (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f465/wheel-bearing-1977-overlander-27-foot-121165.html)

abalonebabe 06-12-2014 02:52 PM

1977 Overlander 27 foot - Help please

The right rear tire doesn't spin. I was told I need right rear bearing.
Can someone please explain to me what this means? And is it expensive?

Can the trailer be towed without the wheel moving? I need to have it towed and since I will not be keeping the trailer, I do not want to spend a lot of $.

abalonebabe 06-12-2014 03:04 PM

Wheel Bearing 1977 Overlander 27 foot

Can the trailer be towed without the right rear wheel moving? I need to have it towed and since I will not be keeping the trailer, I do not want to spend a lot of $.

The right rear tire doesn't spin. I was told I need right rear bearing.
Can someone please explain to me what this means? And is it expensive?

RM66caravel 06-12-2014 03:12 PM

The bearing and race maybe 20 bucks install 50 labor and yes you want to get it fixed if you did the bearing then 25 bucks, 20 for the bearing and 5 for grease.
You tube it!
Cliff

polarlyse 06-12-2014 03:12 PM

If it's only a short distance you might get away with removing the tire and letting the
hub / drum hang. I would not even begin to suggest this for more than a few miles since it would put all the weight on the remaining tire. If you had the means to replace the bearings yourself, NO, it is not expensive. A new set of bearings might run in the neighborhood of $20-$30 or so. To pay a mechanic to come to your door and do it might put it into the neighborhood of expensive. To bring a transporter in to move it for you would surely be in the $$$ area.

perryg114 06-12-2014 07:36 PM

The brake could be rusted to the drum as well. How far you planning on pulling it?

Perry

RM66caravel 06-12-2014 07:54 PM

Just how mechanically inclined are you? Bearings are not difficult and brakes are also not that bad both can be found on you tube and although you will get a little soiled but I hear that it makes cold beer taste better!
Cliff

abalonebabe 06-13-2014 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perryg114 (Post 1468493)
The brake could be rusted to the drum as well. How far you planning on pulling it?

Perry

We have had our airstream parked on the rear of a property in Malibu, CA (by the coast:angel:) and we are planning on either selling cheap for someone to restore or donating it. Our location is limited regarding obstacles and road width for a huge tow truck to get it out of here.

I'd say we have to pull it about 1/4 mile off the private property to the street where it can then be loaded onto a tow truck.

It sounds like removing the tire would be a good idea.

perryg114 06-13-2014 11:38 AM

Remove the tire and go slow and you should be ok.

Perry

abalonebabe 06-13-2014 11:45 AM

Thank you. That is a great idea since I only have to have it towed by pickup off a private property and onto the street where it can be loaded on a big, big tow truck. I am planning on donating it or if I find someone interested in it for restoration that's an option too.