Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

Road Geezer 01-30-2014 11:34 PM

A Little Harder ?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Pictured here is one of the most beautiful tourist traps we've visited, carefully planned and beautifully executed so as to separate you from your money ... all with the utmost pleasure. it's a small, historic town near a lake with, I suspect, more blooming flower pots than people. No more hints. :)

Silver Goose 02-03-2014 07:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If visited this fellow and his horse are often photographed (they're real, but staged). Where and how do you get the chance to see them?

Attachment 204843

SteveH 02-03-2014 07:29 AM

Well, it looks like Monument Valley, but I don't know anything about the guy on the horse.

TinShack 02-03-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Geezer (Post 1410034)
Pictured here is one of the most beautiful tourist traps we've visited, carefully planned and beautifully executed so as to separate you from your money ... all with the utmost pleasure. it's a small, historic town near a lake with, I suspect, more blooming flower pots than people. No more hints. :)

I think you need to throw us another bone...

pmclemore 02-03-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Geezer (Post 1410034)
Pictured here is one of the most beautiful tourist traps we've visited, carefully planned and beautifully executed so as to separate you from your money ... all with the utmost pleasure. it's a small, historic town near a lake with, I suspect, more blooming flower pots than people. No more hints. :)


My guess is Mackinac City. Lots of flower baskets, near a pretty good lake, lots of ways to separate yourself from any money you are carrying.

Pat

Ag&Au 02-03-2014 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1411125)
Well, it looks like Monument Valley, but I don't know anything about the guy on the horse.


From a southwest travel website.

"John Ford's Point offers an excellent view of the Three Sisters group and, when we were there, a dapper Navajo man in a red shirt astride a well-groomed black horse rode out onto the point. I hear he does this daily, but I haven’t seen mention of him in most of the Monument Valley articles. So let me tell you that seeing him out on the point alone, with the majesty of the valley behind him was a thrill for me. He is used to being photographed and of course I took the opportunity. I read on a sign that for $2.00 you, too, can have your photo on a horse. But I much preferred imagining “Frank” out there in the valley alone on his horse in the days when a tourist visit was a rarity."

Ken

Silver Goose 02-03-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1411181)
From a southwest travel website.

"John Ford's Point offers an excellent view of the Three Sisters group and, when we were there, a dapper Navajo man in a red shirt astride a well-groomed black horse rode out onto the point. I hear he does this daily, but I haven’t seen mention of him in most of the Monument Valley articles. So let me tell you that seeing him out on the point alone, with the majesty of the valley behind him was a thrill for me. He is used to being photographed and of course I took the opportunity. I read on a sign that for $2.00 you, too, can have your photo on a horse. But I much preferred imagining “Frank” out there in the valley alone on his horse in the days when a tourist visit was a rarity."

Ken


Ken, you get a gold star this morning ⭐️

We stayed at Goulding's about a year ago when we visited Monument Valley. They have a sign up sheet at the front desk to reserve a Navajo guided tour that takes about 3-4 hours. I think they offer it twice a day and since this is on protected reservation land, it is about the only way to see all of this and I felt it was an excellent way to spend a morning. The history of the Gouldings and how they brought John Ford to Monument Valley in the Depression is a fascinating story also. "Frank" comes out to pose on the point when the tour comes to that spot. Kinda wonder if something happened to Frank the the horse would show up on time anyway?

Arrowstream 02-03-2014 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one probably doesn't need any hints:

SteveH 02-03-2014 12:30 PM

Mabry Mill blue ridge parkway

moosetags 02-03-2014 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is our own version of the cover photo on the Utah Gazetteer by Delorme. This photo was taken in the Fall of 2013.

Brian

Silver Goose 02-03-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1411236)
This is our own version of the cover photo on the Utah Gazetteer by Delorme. This photo was taken in the Fall of 2013.

Brian


That looks like the entrance to Arches National Park. At least how I remember it.

Landrum 02-03-2014 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosetags (Post 1411236)
This is our own version of the cover photo on the Utah Gazetteer by Delorme. This photo was taken in the Fall of 2013.

Brian


Moki Dugway. Where you brave enough to pull your AS up or down?

TinShack 02-03-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1411253)
Moki Dugway. Where you brave enough to pull your AS up or down?

Yes Brian, we want to know...did you tow?:wally:

Arrowstream 02-03-2014 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1411232)
Mabry Mill blue ridge parkway

That's the place!

SteveH 02-03-2014 06:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another water fall. It's in the West.

Lumatic 02-03-2014 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1411328)
Here's another water fall. It's in the West.

Here;s a shot in the dark. Owahee River Idaho,

SteveH 02-03-2014 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1411370)
Here;s a shot in the dark. Owahee River Idaho,

Not that far North.

Road Geezer 02-04-2014 02:32 AM

Regarding #1041. Here's another "bone" not too cryptic, I hope. The town's name includes that of a waterfall and of the easternmost of the Great Lakes.

Ag&Au 02-04-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Road Geezer (Post 1411472)
Regarding #1041. Here's another "bone" not too cryptic, I hope. The town's name includes that of a waterfall and of the easternmost of the Great Lakes.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario

Niagara-on-the-Lake Tourism: 119 Things to Do in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario | TripAdvisor

Ken

moosetags 02-04-2014 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Landrum (Post 1411253)
Moki Dugway. Where you brave enough to pull your AS up or down?

We did not pull the Airstream on the Moki Dugway. We considered ourselves brave just the do it in the truck camper. There is some really nice scenery at the top.

Brian


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.