Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

bwoodtx 12-23-2013 07:48 PM

Can you narrow that a bit? There are only 8 other peaks surrounding Rainier.

SteveH 12-23-2013 08:39 PM

Is it Mt. Aix?

Ag&Au 12-23-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1395282)
The question is not: What mountain is this? It is Mt Rainier.
The question is: Where was the photo taken? Hint: Another Mountain.

Ken

Here's a hit:

The small peak on the right flank of Mt Rainier is Little Tahoma Peak. If you figure out where that lies on Mount Rainier, you can tell from what direction the picture is taken.

Ag&Au 12-23-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1395317)
Is it Mt. Aix?

No, its something more impressive than that.

SteveH 12-23-2013 09:25 PM

Then it must be Mt Adams.

Ag&Au 12-23-2013 09:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1395332)
Then it must be Mt Adams.

That is correct. The second highest peak in Washington State.

Several years ago my son and his buddy climbed Mt Adams and skied down.

Ken

dirigible25 12-24-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1395282)
The question is not: What mountain is this? It is Mt Rainier.
The question is: Where was the photo taken? Hint: Another Mountain.

Ken

Adams was my answer, but by the time I logged on today, it was already over. Adams and Reiner are the 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock view points from my home so I gaze upon them at least once everyday.

Ag&Au 12-24-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirigible25 (Post 1395461)
Adams was my answer, but by the time I logged on today, it was already over. Adams and Reiner are the 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock view points from my home so I gaze upon them at least once everyday.

Unless you live around Yakima or Hood river it seems like Mt Adams is the forgotten Mountain. I was born and lived in western Washington for 50 years and I've scramble all over and around Mt Rainer and most of the others. However I never been closer to Adams than a major highway.

As I see it, to access it from Yakima, you have to drive quite a few miles across the reservation. It that possible or am I wrong about that?

Ken

dirigible25 12-24-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1395471)
Unless you live around Yakima or Hood river it seems like Mt Adams is the forgotten Mountain. I was born and lived in western Washington for 50 years and I've scramble all over and around Mt Rainer and most of the others. However I never been closer to Adams than a major highway.

As I see it, to access it from Yakima, you have to drive quite a few miles across the reservation. It that possible or am I wrong about that?

Ken

You are correct. From Yakima it s 82 east then take 97 towards Goldendale and then a small road. Much of this trip is through the reservation of the Yakama Nation. There are a group of Streamers that make an annual trip to a campground in the vicinity, with Adams as the backdrop, but I have yet to make the trip with them.

Ag&Au 12-24-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirigible25 (Post 1395527)
You are correct. From Yakima it s 82 east then take 97 towards Goldendale and then a small road. Much of this trip is through the reservation of the Yakama Nation. There are a group of Streamers that make an annual trip to a campground in the vicinity, with Adams as the backdrop, but I have yet to make the trip with them.

I would like to explore that area more. I guess I will have to spend more time in my native state. ;)

When I go to the Seattle area I usually take the hwy 14-221 "shortcut" to avoid the eastern bend in I-82. (I don't know if it saves time, but I like it better) However that is as far off the beaten path as I get.

My daughter just moved from Bothell to Olympia, so I guess my future trips will stay on I-84 until I-5. That way I will be able to stop at Mima Mounds where the prehistoric giant gophers used live. :lol: I'm not kidding, that is one of the accepted possible causes. I tend to believe the Alluvial deposits idea.

Ken

Ag&Au 12-24-2013 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is in the US, west of the continental divide.
More hints available, but I bet they're not needed.

Ken

Ag&Au 12-24-2013 08:46 PM

Christmas picture

1 Attachment(s)
Where is this?

samb 12-24-2013 09:14 PM

#571 Craters of the moon, near Arco Idaho. ?
Sam

Ag&Au 12-24-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samb (Post 1395597)
#571 Craters of the moon, near Arco Idaho. ?
Sam

That's it. I thought someone would get it fairly quickly. It is certainly a unique area.
Ken

masseyfarm 12-24-2013 11:22 PM

#572.
I just had a 'HOT' drink with SANTA, when he came back here to home base for another sleigh load, and he was telling me about his summer home in Colorado. This must be the one he was talking about.

North Pole, Colorado — Santa's Workshop Theme Park

Too bad the rest of us have to stay here and do the real work feeding and cleaning the animals and repairing all that harness.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1395590)
Where is this?

dirigible25 12-24-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1395598)
That's it. I thought someone would get it fairly quickly. It is certainly a unique area.
Ken

I went through that area on the way home from Yellowstone in July. We were swinging by the Boise area for a stop at my sister-in-laws for a couple of days.

Seems like I am logging on too late for several that I might have gotten right. Oh well, everyone have a Merry Christmas, and I'll guess I will see how many more posts I miss when I log back on in a couple of days.

Ag&Au 12-25-2013 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1395617)
#572.
I just had a 'HOT' drink with SANTA, when he came back here to home base for another sleigh load, and he was telling me about his summer home in Colorado. This must be the one he was talking about.

North Pole, Colorado — Santa's Workshop Theme Park

Too bad the rest of us have to stay here and do the real work feeding and cleaning the animals and repairing all that harness.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dave

You identification of the picture is correct.

You must live a lot further north than I thought.:huh:

And to all a Good Night

Ken

pmclemore 12-26-2013 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Not enough detail to help you out much, but the water was too cold for me. I made a point not to fall out.

Pat

masseyfarm 12-26-2013 10:46 AM

#578. Looks like fresh water to me. My guess would be the Great Lakes. Maybe Lake Superior?????

Dave

OldVwHunters 12-26-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmclemore (Post 1395986)
Not enough detail to help you out much, but the water was too cold for me. I made a point not to fall out.

Pat

Apostle Islands near Bayfield Wisconsin Lake Superior?