Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

masseyfarm 12-21-2013 12:12 AM

Where Is This?
 
4 Attachment(s)
History Monument, State Park, NE, a little off the main road and probably visited by few unless you are a historian. Honouring a gentleman who is buried in the "Sacred Grove".

My wife's GG? Grandfather was the stone mason on this project as well as many other projects in the area. ( I would have to verify the generation?)

Dave

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1394307)
History Monument, State Park, NE, a little off the main road and probably visited by few unless you are a historian. Honouring a gentleman who is buried in the "Sacred Grove".

My wife's GG? Grandfather was the stone mason on this project as well as many other projects in the area. ( I would have to verify the generation?)

Dave

Those four canons pointed into the ground at the corners of the monument must be for gopher control.

Is there any significance to what appears to be German flag on the Fence?


Ken

SteveH 12-21-2013 06:48 AM

I believe that's the Steuben monument, at the Steuben Memorial State Park, in the eastern part of Steuben, Oneida County, New York, that honors Baron von Steuben, the "Drillmaster of the American Revolution."

SteveH 12-21-2013 08:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one that I think you'll never get unless you've been there, and then it's easy. What is this, where is it, and who lived there?

masseyfarm 12-21-2013 09:28 AM

You are correct Steve for post 481.
New York Steuben Memorial State Park.
Steuben Memorial State Historic Site - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

https://goo.gl/maps/KKSdl

You were on the right track Ken, (with reference to the German Flag) but I think the "cannons" are illumination devices for the monument, not gopher cannons. :lol:


Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1394338)
I believe that's the Steuben monument, at the Steuben Memorial State Park, in the eastern part of Steuben, Oneida County, New York, that honors Baron von Steuben, the "Drillmaster of the American Revolution."


bwoodtx 12-21-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1394374)
Here's one that I think you'll never get unless you've been there, and then it's easy. What is this, where is it, and who lived there?

That's our hint????

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 10:04 AM

This threw me off:

History Monument, State Park, NE

I interpreted that as: It is a historical monument in a state park in Nebraska. I am guessing that in this case NE is either New England or Northeast. I hope you don't send much mail to the US. :lol:

Ken


Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1394389)
You are correct Steve for post 481.
New York Steuben Memorial State Park.
Steuben Memorial State Historic Site - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

https://goo.gl/maps/KKSdl

You were on the right track Ken, (with reference to the German Flag) but I think the "cannons" are illumination devices for the monument, not gopher cannons. :lol:


bwoodtx 12-21-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394407)
This threw me off:

History Monument, State Park, NE

I interpreted that as: It is a historical monument in a state park in Nebraska. I am guessing that in this case NE is either New England or Northeast. I hope you don't send much mail to the US. :lol:

Ken

Ken,

You should know Nebraska ain't got no trees like that:lol:

SteveH 12-21-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoodtx (Post 1394403)
That's our hint????

First hint about 484....it's weather related.

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 10:28 AM

484:

A search has led me to believe it is Thomas Jefferson's home - Monticello.


Weathervane


https://www.monticello.org/sites/defa...es/gong1_0.jpg
The compass rose on the ceiling of the Northeast Portico was connected to the weathervane on the roof. Thomas Jefferson and his family could determine the wind direction without stepping outside by looking from the windows in the Entrance Hall and in the North and South Square Rooms.


Ken

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoodtx (Post 1394413)
Ken,

You should know Nebraska ain't got no trees like that:lol:

That sounds like you don't get off of I-80. ;)

Did you know there was one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nebraska_National_Forest

Ken

SteveH 12-21-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394418)
484:

A search has led me to believe it is Thomas Jefferson's home - Monticello.


Weathervane


https://www.monticello.org/sites/defa...es/gong1_0.jpg
The compass rose on the ceiling of the Northeast Portico was connected to the weathervane on the roof. Thomas Jefferson and his family could determine the wind direction without stepping outside by looking from the windows in the Entrance Hall and in the North and South Square Rooms.


Ken

Yes, that's it, darn it! I was trying to post one that would be hard to find in a net search, but guess I failed. :-)

bwoodtx 12-21-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394420)
That sounds like you don't get off of I-80. ;)

Did you know there was one of these?

Nebraska National Forest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken

Pine trees, yes. Hardwoods, like in the picture...did not think there was that much there.

masseyfarm 12-21-2013 10:37 AM

Sorry about that Ken. I originally had NE (north east) USA, but thought that was unnecessary with the reference to 'State Park'.

Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394407)
This threw me off:

History Monument, State Park, NE

I interpreted that as: It is a historical monument in a state park in Nebraska. I am guessing that in this case NE is either New England or Northeast. I hope you don't send much mail to the US. :lol:

Ken


Ag&Au 12-21-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoodtx (Post 1394422)
Pine trees, yes. Hardwoods, like in the picture...did not think there was that much there.

There does not have to be that much. There only has to be enough to surround that monument? ;)

Here's another link:
2002 Forest Health Highlight, Nebraska 2002

Ken

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 11:00 AM

One More
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here is another.
It is in the Pacific Northwest. You can rent this building to stay in. It is located on a former military installation that was the primary location for a well known movie (at least well know to me).;)

What's the name of the building.
Where is it located
What Movie was it.

Ken

masseyfarm 12-21-2013 11:01 AM

Where Is This?
 
6 Attachment(s)
The beautiful area with the shallow sand beach, is not where you might think. It is a great place to cool off on a HOT day. But, in the interest of promoting travel, I am going to post this without more hints, other than what you see in the pictures.

The Google street view of this location gives a very similar image and I will post it on completion of the quiz.

Where do you think this is?

Dave

Ag&Au 12-21-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1394434)
The beautiful area with the shallow sand beach, is not where you might think. It is a great place to cool off on a HOT day. But, in the interest of promoting travel, I am going to post this without more hints, other than what you see in the pictures.

The Google street view of this location gives a very similar image and I will post it on completion of the quiz.

Where do you think this is?

Dave

I am guessing it must be in BC or perhaps Alaska. Either on the Salish Sea or inside passage. A long shot might be the West side of Vancouver Island.

Is that much correct?

Ken

SteveH 12-21-2013 11:26 AM

#497, My guess, and that's what it is, is Kluane Lake, Yukon, Territory.

azflycaster 12-21-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394433)
Here is another.
It is in the Pacific Northwest. You can rent this building to stay in. It is located on a former military installation that was the primary location for a well known movie (at least well know to me).;)

What's the name of the building.
Where is it located
What Movie was it.

Ken

We traveled to the NW this summer and stayed with some friends in Port Townsend, WA...

Brick Castle
Fort Worden State Park
An Officer and a Gentleman


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.