Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1393881)

Hint for 416.
Howard Johnson's was the concessionaire. I really loved the gift shops that had cool toys such as magnetic scotty dogs, wire puzzles and chinese handcuffs which I suckered my little sister into trying in the back seat of the car starting an improptu reenactment of a local civil war battle.

I'm getting confused. Was there a Howard Johnson's in the Tunnel? ;)

Was the road going through the tunnel once a Paved Highway?

Ken

Ken

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 11:17 PM

Never mind I figured it out. It is the Sideling Hill Tunnel abandoned in 1968 when the Pennsylvania turnpike expanded to 4 lanes. Half a mile east of Sideling Hill tunnel was the Cove Valley Travel Plaza, where I am guessing the Howard Johnson's was located.

Ken

The internet is a vast source of information if one figures out how to utilize it.;)

Ken

If you want to know how I figured it out, right click on the original posted picture and select properties.:cool:

COLONEL 12-19-2013 11:20 PM

Maryhill State Park

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1393949)
You are 100% correct. I thought that one would last a while. :huh:

Maryhill Stonehenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also Maryhill State Park on the river with camping. I have not camped there so can't really review it.

Ken

We have stayed here many times as a halfway point between Idaho and the coast. A nice park with clean restrooms located in the center of a huge grassy oval. Plenty of room between the sites.
The trains can get pretty loud at night and the big trucks use compression brakes coming down the hill. Columbia river is beautiful. Highway 14 is a nice break from the freeway I-84 across the river in Oregon.

The Maryhill Museum of Art is a must see: "In 1908 Samuel Hill (1857-1931) bought 7,000 acres on these slopes. He planned a Quaker farming colony, surveyed a 34-block townsite and built a church, hotel, store, offices, garage and shops. His engineers built ten miles of experimental roads; as Washington's first rural paved roads they proved Hill's zeal as a promoter of highways. Three miles to the west he began construction of an old-wold chateau, which in 1940 was completed as the Maryhill Museum of Art. In 1918-1929 Hill constructed the Stonehenge replica, America's first World War I memorial, on the original site of his hotel. Fire eventually destroyed the buildings of the never-occupied townsite, leaving only Stonehenge, roads and stonework, and the Museum as monuments to the vision and energy of this public-spirited American."
Dick Deam

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 11:32 PM

Post 422

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1393802)
And so with the subject of kayaking brought up, any one know where this is? I will say it is the only one like it in the state where it is.

Since this is not getting any traffic, I m going to guess that it is Lake Livingston in Texas. If not I imagine it is near there.

Ken

SteveH 12-20-2013 07:03 AM

No, it's not Lake Livingston, but it is in East Texas and West Louisiana, and is the largest natural lake of fresh water in the south.

bwoodtx 12-20-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1393994)
No, it's not Lake Livingston, but it is in East Texas and West Louisiana, and is the largest natural lake of fresh water in the south.

Would that by chance be Toledo Bend Reservoir?

bwoodtx 12-20-2013 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is one of my favorites.

Ag&Au 12-20-2013 09:25 AM

After some more research, I believe 422 is Caddo Lake.

Caddo Lake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It has some interesting history.

Ken

bwoodtx 12-20-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394037)

Ken

It does have some interesting history, but I think you are incorrect. Please see below. Excerpt taken from Wikipedia.

Toledo Bend Reservoir is a reservoir on the Sabine River between Texas and Louisiana. The lake has an area of 185,000 acres (749 kmē), the largest man-made body of water in (or partially in) Texas, the largest in the South, and the fifth largest (surface acre) in the United States.

bwoodtx 12-20-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwoodtx (Post 1394041)
It does have some interesting history, but I think you are incorrect. Please see below. Excerpt taken from Wikipedia.

Toledo Bend Reservoir is a reservoir on the Sabine River between Texas and Louisiana. The lake has an area of 185,000 acres (749 kmē), the largest man-made body of water in (or partially in) Texas, the largest in the South, and the fifth largest (surface acre) in the United States.

You could be correct because it is not a natural lake.

SteveH 12-20-2013 09:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394037)

Ken

Right on, Ken, Caddo Lake it is, and there is a nice state park there also, aptly named Caddo Lake State park.

Here's a couple of more pictures from our paddling trip there:

SteveH 12-20-2013 09:46 AM

Bruce, about post #447, we're gonna need at least one clue. :)

bwoodtx 12-20-2013 09:55 AM

In the Wasatch mountains.

SteveH 12-20-2013 10:00 AM

Would it be Bridal Veil Falls?

SteveH 12-20-2013 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Meanwhile, here's one that will be way too easy, and close to our nations capitol with a lot of history involved with it.

Ag&Au 12-20-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1394043)
Right on, Ken, Caddo Lake it is, and there is a nice state park there also, aptly named Caddo Lake State park.

Here's a couple of more pictures from our paddling trip there:

Are there alligators there?

50KIP 12-20-2013 12:08 PM

The mansion on the shores of the Potomac River is in fact Mount Vernon, home of George Washington.

SteveH 12-20-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 50KIP (Post 1394079)
The mansion on the shores of the Potomac River is in fact Mount Vernon, home of George Washington.

Yes, spot on.

SteveH 12-20-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1394071)
Are there alligators there?

Yes, they said there were lots of alligators there, but supposedly mostly nocturnal, and they eat mostly turtles. We did not see any turtles. Believe it or not, the area is also supposed to be the area of Texas where most Bigfoot sightings happen. Again, we didn't see any Bigfoot, but I'm almost certain that we heard one. :D

And, that was BEFORE we started happy hour.

SteveH 12-20-2013 12:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, here's one that might not be so easy. Where is it located, and what's it's name? First hint is it's in the West.