Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

SteveH 12-19-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1393796)
412 has to be Whitefish Point Lighthouse?
Dave

Correct. The lighthouse and adjoining keeper's house is now a museum, and also there is the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, I think the name is, and is where the bell from the Edmond Fitzgerald is on display as well as many other displays of shipwrecks in the great lakes, mostly Lake Superior because it is so big, and the waters are so treacherous and cold in the winter. Even in the summer, the water in Lake Superior never gets above 46 degrees, we were told.

I wanted to do some kayaking in the lake, and then thought about capsizing in that temp water. In Texas if I capsize, I get wet. Up there if I capsized, I would probably die!

SteveH 12-19-2013 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And so with the subject of kayaking brought up, any one know where this is? I will say it is the only one like it in the state where it is.

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 06:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm guessing this one won't take long. Sorry about the lighting, it was a little hazy and cloudy

Ken

Thalweg 12-19-2013 06:36 PM

#423 Maroon Bells?

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalweg (Post 1393873)
#423 Maroon Bells?

I said it would not last. You are correct.

According to this link
Visit Maroon Bells | Aspen Snowmass Activities
They are the most photographed peaks in North America. I would have thought would be the Grand Tetons.

Ken

Lumatic 12-19-2013 06:49 PM

Maroon Bells was also my guess

Hint for 416.
Howard Johnson's was the concessionaire. I really loved the gift shops that had cool toys such as magnetic scotty dogs, wire puzzles and chinese handcuffs which I suckered my little sister into trying in the back seat of the car starting an improptu reenactment of a local civil war battle.
https://dieline.typepad.com/blog/imag...spunkydogs.jpg

Thalweg 12-19-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalweg (Post 1393257)
Following a theme. This will be an easy one as I bet most of us have driven by it at one time or another.
Attachment 201944

I guess this one needs another clue.
It's on a major east/west interstate.

Lumatic 12-19-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalweg (Post 1393882)
I guess this one needs another clue.
It's on a major east/west interstate.

What a coinkydink so is 416

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thalweg (Post 1393882)
I guess this one needs another clue.
It's on a major east/west interstate.

I found it on the internet, but I thought I'd give someone who had actually seen it a chance. I have never driven that section of Interstate.
Here a link if someone wants to peek.

Skeleton Dino


Ken

SteveH 12-19-2013 07:34 PM

The lake in #422 is in Texas, and has a state park named after it.

SteveH 12-19-2013 07:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the most photographed place in the state.

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1393898)
This is the most photographed place in the state.

The picture is of American Basin. If you put "one of" in front of the most, I'll agree with the statement.:D

Ken

Thalweg 12-19-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1393886)
I found it on the internet, but I thought I'd give someone who had actually seen it a chance. I have never driven that section of Interstate.
Here a link if someone wants to peek.

Skeleton Dino


Ken

Gotta give it to you Ken,

I guess since I've driven by it a hundred times, I figured all of you better traveled folks probably had too. It's at 1880 Town near Belvidere South Dakota. The dinosaur is one of those things that just kind of makes you go "Hmmm?" I've never stopped there, but the signs indicate that some of the movie Dances With Wolves was filmed there.

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1393881)
Maroon Bells was also my guess

Hint for 416.
Howard Johnson's was the concessionaire. I really loved the gift shops that had cool toys such as magnetic scotty dogs, wire puzzles and chinese handcuffs which I suckered my little sister into trying in the back seat of the car starting an improptu reenactment of a local civil war battle.
https://dieline.typepad.com/blog/imag...spunkydogs.jpg

I had scotty dogs like that when I was a kid. A few years ago, I saw some in a store in one of the Amish communities in Iowa. I couldn't resist.

Ken

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is someplace that I believe is a bit unknown. If you know what your looking for, you can see it from an Interstate.

Ken

SteveH 12-19-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1393902)
The picture is of American Basin. If you put "one of" in front of the most, I'll agree with the statement.:D

Ken

That's correct, about the place anyway. Maybe we read different brochures.

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1393928)
That's correct, about the place anyway. Maybe we read different brochures.

I think that is one of the jobs available to retired politicians - Writing travel brochures and text for web sites.

Ken

SteveH 12-19-2013 09:50 PM

Is #435 the Maryhill Stonehenge, overlooking the Columbia River and close to the town of Maryhill, Washington?

Ag&Au 12-19-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1393937)
Is #435 the Maryhill Stonehenge, overlooking the Columbia River and close to the town of Maryhill, Washington?

You are 100% correct. I thought that one would last a while. :huh:

Maryhill Stonehenge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also Maryhill State Park on the river with camping. I have not camped there so can't really review it.

Ken

masseyfarm 12-19-2013 10:43 PM

Post 381 just proves the point that a photo is needed to refresh the memory bank. I have been by there at least 4 times in the last 10 years and did not remember seeing that.

Maybe it was heavy traffic or raining? My navigator must have been sleeping to miss taking the picture. Thanks for posting.

https://goo.gl/maps/iGT4Q

Dave


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.