Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Photography (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/)
-   -   Where Is This? (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f415/where-is-this-113326.html)

JDS 11-30-2013 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1386426)
4th of July

Possibly the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier National Park?

John S.

masseyfarm 11-30-2013 08:59 PM

You are correct. Thanks for the help as I was having difficulty getting that howling coyote in my sights. :)
The street view confirms this here. I believe it is just west of I 80 exit 38, between Kimball and Sidney.
https://goo.gl/maps/Cv81J

https://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1385790814
Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghaynes755 (Post 1386408)
The 'howlin coyote' is on I-80 in Nebraska as you approach the Wyoming border. The Buffalo is in Wyoming on I-25 about 5 miles north of the Colorado border.


Ag&Au 11-30-2013 09:46 PM

Dave,

I don't feel so bad now. That's I part of I-80, that I've only been on a couple of times. If we are going west, we join I-80 at Cheyenne or Laramie. If we are going east we go up I-76.

Ken

masseyfarm 11-30-2013 10:26 PM

Where Is This?
 
2 Attachment(s)
We have some members that live in this area and they should be able to ID this city.

Sometimes it's a pleasure to visit the main streets of the smaller cities. This is an older city that has had some continued success in maintaining the past for productive use into the future.

These two shots are in opposite directions but can be seen from a single location on the main street of the city.

Hint:
An American city located in a fertile valley that has a sports affiliation with Canada's Pacific Port city.

Dave
__________________
"Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." William Feather

"The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson

https://www.livingplaces.com/NY/Oneida_County/Utica_City/Lower_Genesee_Street_Historic_District.html

Jim Flower 12-01-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1386505)
We have some members that live in this area and they should be able to ID this city. Sometimes it's a pleasure to visit the main streets of the smaller cities. This is an older city that has had some continued success in maintaining the past for productive use into the future. These two shots are in opposite directions but can be seen from a single location on the main street of the city. Hint: An American city located in a fertile valley that has a sports affiliation with Canada's Pacific Port city. Dave __________________ "Success seems to be largely a matter of hanging on after others have let go." William Feather "The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are". Samuel Johnson https://www.livingplaces.com/NY/Oneida_County/Utica_City/Lower_Genesee_Street_Historic_District.html

You gave this one away but I got it from your hockey HINT. Jim PS Brent Severyn

Jim Flower 12-01-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 1386566)
You gave this one away but I got it from your hockey HINT. Jim PS Brent Severyn

birthplace

Lumatic 12-01-2013 09:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JDS (Post 1386453)
Possibly the "Going to the Sun" highway in Glacier National Park?

John S.

Too far north, but the yearly total of snow took me by surprise. It is a National Park. Typical opening is 4th of July weekend. The road into the park is snowed in 40' deep and they use a rotary snowplow to clear 1/4 mile a day. With the snow melting into puddles the mosquitos in the campground were like clouds of little flying vampires. Here's a photo from one of the 2 campgrounds.

masseyfarm 12-01-2013 11:20 AM

You see everything Jim.

https://goo.gl/maps/NgSd8

Sorry I made that one so easy. I did not check it after posting.

The web site I mistakenly tagged on the bottom of the post was to be included with my answer to showcase what some of these old cities are accomplishing to preserve the past for the future.

Lower Genesee Street Historic District, Utica City, Oneida County, Utica NY 13502

The connection hint was to the NHL Vancouver Canucks new AHL team affiliate now based in Utica and called the Comets.
Canucks announce new AHL affiliate in Utica, NY - Vancouver Canucks - News

The Mohawk Valley is another great RV destination point with a rich historical past. Sometimes hard to navigate around the tracks, canals, and rivers, so be sure you take your GPS.:o Utica was the home of MGW's family back in the good old days when all those brick factory buildings were packed and booming with industry.

City of Utica, Oneida County, New York [NY] 13501, County Seat

Dave




Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 1386566)
You gave this one away but I got it from your hockey HINT. Jim PS Brent Severyn


Lumatic 12-01-2013 01:20 PM

Re:179
Think hot

Ag&Au 12-01-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1386665)
Re:179
Think hot

Crater Lake National Park?

Ken

Lumatic 12-01-2013 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ag&Au (Post 1386668)
Crater Lake National Park?

Ken

Yes! Deepest lake in the US and 7th in the world at almost 2000'. Also famous for it's clarity.

Ag&Au 12-01-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1386671)
Yes! Deepest lake in the US and 7th in the world at almost 2000'. Also famous for it's clarity.

It's a very nice park and surrounding area. It is where Susan and I saw the only fisher we've seen in the wild. It was just loping along the wooded hillside about 30 feet from the road.

Scubarx 12-01-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1386248)
Hint: The most appropriate vehicle to be at this establishment on a major US highway is a 1962 Corvette

Holbrook, AZ

masseyfarm 12-01-2013 10:33 PM

Where Is This?
 
6 Attachment(s)
This stop was on our 2nd high mileage tour of 2008 heading north east.

To win you must name the town where the mine truck is on display. (The mine truck is now painted BLUE but still there.)

The other photos will give you a clue as we are on route to that town.

If you have traveled this route, you would have had to leave the main road and do the tourist thing and relax at this town's "Heritage Park".

Dave

Lumatic 12-02-2013 07:53 AM

Stanley, Idaho?

masseyfarm 12-02-2013 10:18 AM

Wrong side of the border.

Dave


Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumatic (Post 1386964)
Stanley, Idaho?


masseyfarm 12-02-2013 01:24 PM

I need another hint on this Post #139 Jim. Left, right, or center.
It looks like an entertainment park or local festivity. But I don't think it is in Lunenburg, NS, the home of the Bluenose? Are those marine masts in the background?
I also don't think it is Dinosaur Park as the landscape is too flat.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 1385966)
The Prairie Schooner at work. Jim
Hint
The Blunenose was a Schooner that worked the fishing grounds off Nova Scotia.
My hint is ambiguous, but there is a connection, and based on one of your photos, I think you have been passed there. Also, I made an ambiguous reference to the location in the caption thread. Jim
November photo contest #44
__________________
__________________

https://cdn.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1385748604

Jim Flower 12-02-2013 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1387088)
I need another hint on this Post #139 Jim. Left, right, or center. It looks like an entertainment park or local festivity. But I don't think it is in Lunenburg, NS, the home of the Bluenose? Are those marine masts in the background? I also don't think it is Dinosaur Park as the landscape is too flat.

My hints have been too vague.

Flat landscape, that's where a Prairie Schooner, name of my Airstream, would work as apposed to the Bluenose, name of a Schooner that works on the Sea. " big deal, show me the hen" from the November photos and the photo that is the subject of the search. Further west than your bird photo but on the same less travelled route. Birth place of the hockey player hint from your Utica photo. What is that thing in the background? That should do it. Jim

masseyfarm 12-02-2013 03:22 PM

OK I finally get it!
I have been by there but did not stop in town. I see now what I missed!:lol:
https://goo.gl/maps/I91lh

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...llePysanka.JPG

Vegreville, Alberta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We always like to make Lloydminster our stop when we travel that route. Guess we will change it up next year.
Dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Flower (Post 1387121)
My hints have been too vague.
im


Jim Flower 12-02-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masseyfarm (Post 1387132)
OK I finally get it! I have been by there but did not stop in town. I see now what I missed!:lol: https://goo.gl/maps/I91lh Vegreville, Alberta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia We always like to make Lloydminster our stop when we travel that route. Guess we will change it up next year. Dave

Bingo. The beautiful thing about this thread are the number of must see locations that are now part of our future and I sincerely thank you for this learning experience.

Vegreville is a very special town that has demonstrated the ability to survive and thrive in a farming environment where other communities are regretfully returning to the soil. Even the bypassing of the town by the Yellowhead Highway did not deal it a death blow which is again a tribute to the community.

The Yellowhead is a more picturesque route across the prairie. I take it frequently, which is why I can identify a rest stop near Minnadosa, which, by the way , is a very beautiful farming community situated in a lush valley. Jim

Ps. Where is Andy's whale?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.