Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Trailer Values (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/)
-   -   1947 Airstream Liner 22' value (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f349/1947-airstream-liner-22-value-109330.html)

Sprouty 09-05-2013 08:19 AM

1947 Airstream Liner 22' value
 
3 Attachment(s)
Found a what I think is 1947 Airstream liner 22 with a model number 47111 and serial number 1077. I am trying to contact the owner. I was wondering a worst case value on this trailer. I don't think it has a title and looks pretty much complete but needs a lot of work.

Sprouty 09-05-2013 08:45 AM

Price vs. Condition - Vintage Airstream
I just looked at the price guide above and it put the trailer at 1100-3800 AS Found and 3800-7500 in average condition. They want 7500 for it.

mccrosti 09-05-2013 08:56 AM

Over em 5k...and give me the address :) It looks to be in original condition!

Melody Ranch 09-05-2013 09:13 AM

You Guys have no idea what you'd be in for.(most likely)

Aage 09-05-2013 09:13 AM

I've never negotiated for a 1947, but I'm going to bet that the tough thing about fixing a price is that there aren't thousands of them around to buy. I mean, you can't say no to this one and find six more to look at tomorrow.

On the other hand, because it is a relatively crude design, again due to its age, many potential purchasers aren't interested because they want more "luxury" than you could expect to have in this trailer without a ton of work and money.

So, offer what feels good to you, not what the books say. :D

Sprouty 09-05-2013 09:27 AM

I spoke with the owner and they already have two offers on it one for 6500 so I think I will wait it out and see. I have read the old pipe frame trailers can be a real project. I also found a 1971 Globe trotter that's describe to be in very good condition ready to camp in recently used and towed for 5000.00 that seems more appealing .

ShullsinUtah 09-05-2013 02:16 PM

I just found a 1948 22'Liner on craigslist in Florida.
He wants $10,000.
It has absolutely nothing left inside.
Does not look nearly as nice and clean as this little one.

Just an FYI

Melody Ranch 09-05-2013 03:53 PM

I have a 1947 and it is done....completely. You want one? Come see me.

DryFly 09-05-2013 05:25 PM

That vintage fly swatter in the middle photo has got to be worth some bucks.

Milkshed 09-05-2013 06:16 PM

I'm no expert, but just to give you an idea of others out there - there's a 1948 listed on Montana craigslist for $5000 with zero interior pictures.

wdscentral 09-05-2013 06:55 PM

I just bought a '47 Liner in July for $10K - paid a premium price for it for sure, but had to have it with it now being one serial number older than the previous oldest post war Liner built with it having a serial of #1006. Had to have it to recreate the original "towed with a bike" photo from '47 a couple of weeks ago - that was a fun day!

That one you found looks awesome on the interior - whatever one wanted to do with it in terms of a rebuild, it would be great to have all those original parts (alas, I do not - my trailer was gutted about 15 years ago by a previous owner).

Exterior looks OK. Missing the name plates, which are next to impossible to find. I might think about making castings of mine to recreate them, but then might not - part of what makes them special is so few sets exist.

The model # is odd for a 22' Liner for '47. The ones I have seen are always Model 4761 - but that could be just the designation for your interior layout. The Liner came in different interior layouts with names that eventually became there own full models: "Southwind Breeze, Chinook, Tradewind, Westwind, Zephyr & Sea Breeze"

Cool find though, and not an insane price. Be ready to have it cost you a LOT more in the end though - this is not a lipstick on a pig kinda project to get it safe and usable again. Plan on spending a good 1-2 years on mine, starting from a new frame up.

NJtoNC 09-05-2013 06:55 PM

There's been a 37 or 48 on eBay for a while too.

NJtoNC 09-05-2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJtoNC (Post 1350352)
There's been a 37 or 48 on eBay for a while too.

Can't edit from Iphone sorry. I think it started at 12k and it went down to 7500 over a few months. Don't know if it sold or not

Sprouty 09-05-2013 10:54 PM

I just got home. I bought it. Standing there with cash in hand can do wonders!

Sprouty 09-05-2013 11:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few more pictures

TouringDan 09-06-2013 12:19 AM

Spouty

Good for you. I don't know what it is worth, but from the photos and it being complete and in original condition I would say it is easily worth what he was asking. I am thrilled for you.

My advice on buying anything is to buy the best one you can find and pay what you have to pay. It is much cheaper in the long run.

If you got it for 5k or so, great negotiating on your part. Showing up with cash is a great strategy.

This made my day!

Dan

47WeeWind 09-06-2013 01:07 AM

1947 Liner model numbers are date codes
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by wdscentral (Post 1350351)
. . . The model # is odd for a 22' Liner for '47. The ones I have seen are always Model 4761 - but that could be just the designation for your interior layout. The Liner came in different interior layouts with names that eventually became there own full models: "Southwind, Breeze, Chinook, Tradewind, Westwind, Zephyr & Sea Breeze".

The model number for 1947 and very early 1948 Liners is their build date in the format of year (47 or 48), month (6 to 12, 1 to 2) and a final single digit whose meaning presently is unknown (floor plan perhaps??). Liner s/n 1006 (model 4761) was built in June 1947 and Liner s/n 1077 (model 47111) was built in November 1947. 22' Liner interior layouts named after popular winds were used as early as October 1947.

ShullsinUtah 09-06-2013 04:46 AM

Spouty,
Congratulations!!!!!!!
I was hoping thay you would get it.
The one you bought, to me, look great outside.
Please start a blog with photos/videos of your project.
Will you actually camp in it?
If ao, you will be the coolest "cat" around!
Congrats again.

Aage 09-06-2013 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprouty (Post 1350451)
I just got home. I bought it. Standing there with cash in hand can do wonders!

Yaaay, Sprouty, way to go! Will you polish it up today? :D

oh2bcarefree 09-06-2013 07:26 AM

You definitely have it bad...
 
That '59 Avion started it all.

What a great find. Hopefully we'll get to pull our '59 up your way someday and see your collection.

Woo hoo! Go Steve!

Tina

Sprouty 09-06-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47WeeWind (Post 1350479)
The model number for 1947 and very early 1948 Liners is their build date in the format of year (47 or 48), month (6 to 12, 1 to 2) and a final single digit whose meaning presently is unknown (floor plan perhaps??). Liner s/n 1006 (model 4761) was built in June 1947 and Liner s/n 1077 (model 47111) was built in November 1947. 22' Liner interior layouts named after popular winds were used as early as October 1947.

That's good info thank you. I am waiting for the owner to mail me the title. He said he thinks it says 1948 on the title which I could understand if it was built in November it may not have been titled until January or later.

Sprouty 09-06-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oh2bcarefree (Post 1350522)
That '59 Avion started it all.

What a great find. Hopefully we'll get to pull our '59 up your way someday and see your collection.

Woo hoo! Go Steve!

Tina

Yep I get carried away with things. The Argosy I bought for a quick fix that I thought I could use is taking more time then I expected (big shock) but I call it my practice run for the Avion which will be practice for the liner. I think I have enough work to keep mw busy for a while. :blush:.

47WeeWind 09-06-2013 08:17 AM

Final digit in 1947 Liner serial numbers
 
Another thought on the final single digit in the 1947-early 48 Liner serial numbers is that it might identify the trailer model (length) as opposed to the interior layout, with 1 being the 22' Liner, 2 being the 28' Whirlwind and 3 being the 16' Wee Wind. This idea needs more data (more serial numbers from all these models) to compare and see it if holds up. It's merely an untested thought right now.

Congratulations on your "new" 22' Liner. It appears very complete inside and you are very fortunate to find one in that fine condition. Have fun with it!

wdscentral 09-06-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 47WeeWind (Post 1350544)
Another thought on the final single digit in the 1947-early 48 Liner serial numbers is that it might identify the trailer model (length) as opposed to the interior layout, with 1 being the 22' Liner, 2 being the 28' Whirlwind and 3 being the 16' Wee Wind. This idea needs more data (more serial numbers from all these models) to compare and see it if holds up. It's merely an untested thought right now.

Congratulations on your "new" 22' Liner. It appears very complete inside and you are very fortunate to find one in that fine condition. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the reminder on the second set of numbers, I had read that somewhere but had forgotten it.

I don't think the last number is the size - at least according to a document posted on Airstreams historical archives/service section, each size model had it's own series of starting serial numbers, 1xxx to 7xxx series, but who knows if that holds true for the early '47's, or even that the model number could still maybe designate the size as well as it's own serial # series - who knows. Just like anything on the internet, just because it's online does not always make it a fact:
https://www.airstream.com/files/libra...81355f9d80.jpg

Congrats on the purchase Sprouty. Good find and a good deal I think. Got your PM - Yea, for sure we'll have to compare notes since we are both in Wisconsin - small world. I'm just south of Sheboygan in Manitowoc, so not that far from you. Wisconsin seems to be gathering a nice collection of these old beasties! :wally:

calais66 09-06-2013 07:33 PM

Nice! Glad to see a great trailer go to a great home! Can't wait to follow your progress getting her buttoned up!

reinergirl 09-06-2013 07:46 PM

Woohoo! Congrats, glad to see it going to a forums member, looking forward to seeing its restoration!

Jobe 10-29-2013 06:55 PM

Nice find. I also just found a 22' liner. I wish it was as nice and complete as yours! Congrats


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.