Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Hitches, Couplers & Balls (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/)
-   -   Reese SD W/D with Sway Control 66155 (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f464/reese-sd-w-d-with-sway-control-66155-a-107087.html)

SteveH 07-12-2013 07:28 AM

Reese SD W/D with Sway Control 66155
 
Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155

dznf0g 07-12-2013 07:56 AM

I have not driven one, but have heard that it behaves very much like an Equal-i-zer...but more flexible bars???.....subjective, certainly. I have seen no flex numbers like were run on a few WDs a couple years ago.

jdalrymple 07-12-2013 08:03 AM

Hitch questions always stir a lively debate, and here is my opinion....

The sway control is still friction based.

I have never used one of these, but have towed with other Reese hardware for several years.

I prefer the cam type anti-sway because unlike the friction devices, once installed and tuned the cam type "knows" when the trailer is straight behind the tow vehicle.

Friction devices just resist movement. Any movement. Like a trailer which has swung out of position and is trying to return straight behind the TV.


Regards,

JD

SteveH 07-12-2013 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdalrymple (Post 1325752)
Hitch questions always stir a lively debate, and here is my opinion....

The sway control is still friction based.

I have never used one of these, but have towed with other Reese hardware for several years.

I prefer the cam type anti-sway because unlike the friction devices, once installed and tuned the cam type "knows" when the trailer is straight behind the tow vehicle.

Friction devices just resist movement. Any movement. Like a trailer which has swung out of position and is trying to return straight behind the TV.


Regards,

JD

Thanks for your reply, and all you have stated I understand and do not dispute. That is why I asked for input from actual users of the hitch. :)

SteveH 07-13-2013 09:11 AM

So, no one has experience with the Reese SD 66155?

AWCHIEF 07-13-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1325761)

Thanks for your reply, and all you have stated I understand and do not dispute. That is why I asked for input from actual users of the hitch. :)

LOL: Steve you know that has never stopped anyone here from giving uninformed opinions.

SteveH 07-13-2013 09:32 AM

Michael,

Do you have experience with the Reese SD 66155?

AWCHIEF 07-13-2013 09:41 AM

Of course not. I'm a die hard Andersen WD system user, but you know that.

newroswell 07-13-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 1325741)
Anyone have experience with this Reese SC Weight Distribution with Sway Control system, I would like to hear your impression of the hitch.

Reese SC Weight Distribution w Sway Control - Trunnion - 12,000 lbs GTW, 1,200 lbs TW Reese Weight Distribution RP66155

Steve we have been using that exact hitch for over 2 years, and about 15,000 miles. It's performed very well in all conditions, including some pretty crazy windy conditions.

I have no interest in any more of these hitch threads, only saw this because it was on the portal. We can discuss further via PM if you like.

Not Done 07-13-2013 07:58 PM

I have the Reese Dual-Cam sway control. I do not believe Dual-Cam system is considered a friction system. It is a fantastic system. It took a day or so and trip to the scales to get it dialed in. I Love it, love it, love it. My bars are 750 lbs as I recall.

SteveH 07-15-2013 06:11 PM

So, only one person on this forum uses the Reese SC hitch? :huh:

BigPineJandK 07-15-2013 06:46 PM

Well I have he same hitch - it came with the 25 ft excella I just bought - Have only towed about 400 miles (bringing the trailer home through the Mts. of Pennsylvania and I will say I am impressed. Barely knew the trailer was behind me... of course the creaking sounds when slow going on turns in town or around gas plazas is enough to raise your hair, but ya kind of get used to it! Then again how does one get experience with several hitches or systems/ kind of cost prohibitive to experiment. I will be doing the Long Haul from WNY to the Keys in January and then touring the US in 2014 hunting and fishing where ever the wind blows.. I should have a lot more experience with it in the next year or two LOL...

newroswell 07-15-2013 07:07 PM

BigPine, are you sure you have this hitch or the Equil-i-zer, which looks very similar but doesn't have the friction pads the bars sit on? The Equil-i-zer is the original design and is notorious for being "squeaky".

Larry C 07-17-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigPineJandK (Post 1327299)
Well I have he same hitch - it came with the 25 ft excella I just bought - Have only towed about 400 miles (bringing the trailer home through the Mts. of Pennsylvania and I will say I am impressed. Barely knew the trailer was behind me... of course the creaking sounds when slow going on turns in town or around gas plazas is enough to raise your hair, but ya kind of get used to it! Then again how does one get experience with several hitches or systems/ kind of cost prohibitive to experiment. I will be doing the Long Haul from WNY to the Keys in January and then touring the US in 2014 hunting and fishing where ever the wind blows.. I should have a lot more experience with it in the next year or two LOL...

Those creaking sounds are easily cured....all you have to do is put a thin film of Vaseline, on the bearing surfaces of the dual cams, and on the top and bottom of the trunnion bars where they attach to the ball hitch. A very thin film is all that is necessary. Do not use a heavy grease,Reese recommends only Vaseline. I've used this for years, and it works great.

Larry

Not Done 07-17-2013 08:23 PM

Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.

Larry C 07-18-2013 06:25 AM

Reese SC, and Dual Cam stuff
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Not Done (Post 1328253)
Clarification: If read correctly;
SteveH inquired about SC that does NOT incorporate Dual-Cam (DC)
BigPine said his was the same (meaning NOT DC)
Larry C Commented as though BigPine has DC and I don't think he does.

FYI I concur with Larry C, the Reese DC has works great. Its all about the cam in the bars.

I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry

SteveH 07-18-2013 07:02 AM

Yes, my question is about the new (maybe a couple of years) Reese SC (sway control) hitch, not the Dual Cam hitch.

The Reese SC operates purely on friction similar to the Equalizer hitch, but it uses brake pad material under the bars instead of just metal to metal friction.

Larry C 07-19-2013 05:13 AM

I see that now.....I think in principle both Reese products work the same way , the difference being the brake pad as the friction device vs the cam device.

With the DC I don't have to be concerned about the proper amount of pressure on the brake pads.
To each his own, as long as the end result is satisfactory.

Larry

dhtullos 08-17-2013 08:57 AM

I have an older version of this hitch, and I'm looking to replace it. Though it seems to work ok, it has a habit of grabbing around gradual turns at freeway speeds. I may have it adjusted incorrectly, but the thing is at least 20 years old and the tolerances are really sloppy and its really hard to dial in correctly. I used it to go to Glacier NP and only had one sway incident in Montana and my truck's anti-sway system kicked in and fixed it.

David

featherbedder 08-17-2013 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry C (Post 1328344)
I guess I missed the SC thing. Usually when I hear of creaking a groaning, I think of my first experience with the Reese Dual Cam. Sorry 'bout that, but for those of you who have the DC, remember, Vaseline works great.

Larry

Vasoline on Reese dual cam or any type of lubricant on reese dual cam set up is defeating the friction of saddle on bars to snap ups, I have been using since reese first came out with this set up same set orig. pur. they have shown very little wear on cams, yes they groan and make noise that means they are doing job. If used lub. there isn't any sway control, only lube ball and trunnions. Bill


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.