Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/)
-   -   Plastic white nose insert (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/plastic-white-nose-insert-106470.html)

Northlander 06-27-2013 07:05 AM

Plastic white nose insert
 
I got a bunch of the plastic trim that fits in the metal strip from out of doors mart. How do I install it. I did some by forcing, prying it in with a screwdriver. Not the easiest thing to do. I even left it out in the sun to soften it up, still too stiff to bend into the track. There must be an easier way.

mandolindave 06-27-2013 07:18 AM

I think I know what you are talking about
 
It slides in from either end. It has to be the same size as the original.

I need to replace mine at some point. I was thinking about formica strips that are used for edging

Inland RV Center, In 06-27-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northlander (Post 1318788)
I got a bunch of the plastic trim that fits in the metal strip from out of doors mart. How do I install it. I did some by forcing, prying it in with a screwdriver. Not the easiest thing to do. I even left it out in the sun to soften it up, still too stiff to bend into the track. There must be an easier way.

The replacement is larger than the original.

We shave ours down before shipping with a wood plane that trims the edges.

That makes it a breeze to slide in place.

Andy

Northlander 06-27-2013 07:38 AM

Bathroom
 
But I am doing the rear bath. So there is now way to slide it in from either end. I replaced all the blue plastic strip on the outside of the trailer, and that is how I did it, just slipped it , sprayed some silicone in the track and pulled it through.
This is turning out to be a pain. Literally, I have poked my fingers several times with the screwdriver forcing it in the track. Patience I guess.

wahoonc 06-27-2013 08:29 AM

Shave the edges as Andy suggests, I used a low angle block plane, then I soaked mine in hot water and used a thin flexible knife (like you would use to frost a cake) to pop the edges in.

Aaron:cool:

mandolindave 06-27-2013 10:07 AM

too late now
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Northlander (Post 1318805)
But I am doing the rear bath. So there is now way to slide it in from either end. I replaced all the blue plastic strip on the outside of the trailer, and that is how I did it, just slipped it , sprayed some silicone in the track and pulled it through.
This is turning out to be a pain. Literally, I have poked my fingers several times with the screwdriver forcing it in the track. Patience I guess.

I think silicone is a no no around aluminum..Soapy water might be better

wahoonc 06-27-2013 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandolindave (Post 1318869)
I think silicone is a no no around aluminum..Soapy water might be better

Silicone spray isn't a real problem, just silicone sealant...

Aaron :cool:

Aage 06-27-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wahoonc (Post 1318817)
Shave the edges as Andy suggests, I used a low angle block plane, then I soaked mine in hot water and used a thin flexible knife (like you would use to frost a cake) to pop the edges in.

Aaron:cool:

Just so I'm really clear, Aaron, you are reducing the width, right?

Inland RV Center, In 06-27-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aage (Post 1318913)
Just so I'm really clear, Aaron, you are reducing the width, right?

Aage.

Wrong.

The width stays the same, but the thickness at the edges, is made smaller.

Andy

vchatelain 10-01-2013 07:23 PM

I need some of the plastic inserts. Where did you get it and what is it called?
V


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.