Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Sinks, Showers & Toilets (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/)
-   -   need help identifing my toilet. (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f446/need-help-identifing-my-toilet-105887.html)

macofpei 06-12-2013 07:24 PM

need help identifing my toilet.

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2003 30 foot Classic with a Tedford Toilet BUT I don't know the model. I need to replace the gasket for the blade valve. My toilet does not always hold water in the bottom. This has caused the inside of my unit to take on a rather unique smell. I think the blade gasket number is 31708 but at $16.99 at my local RV dealer, this isn't something I want to order wrong.
Under the seat assembly, the tag says model # 31105
Please help.
Larry

A W Warn 06-12-2013 08:41 PM

When you go to Thetford's website using this link you can select the toilet you have and download a manual. You should find the parts you need. Product Manuals

mojo 06-12-2013 08:58 PM

Thetford Bravura

macofpei 06-13-2013 05:51 AM

Thanks for the help. I called the RV dealer here and he needs to order the necessary seal gasket. He quoted me $50.00 but the whole part assembly --part # 31112 would cost $150.00. I could buy a whole new toilet for $200-$300. Wow.
I will get the part and replace it to stop the loss of the holding water.

A W Warn 06-13-2013 08:04 AM

I have never replaced one of these blade gaskets in the several different Airstreams I have owned. When mine started letting water go by the seal I just clean them like this;

First fill the bowl with water and let it set a several hours to soften things up.

Get get a wire clothes hanger and cut a piece of about 24". At one end make a short bend about 3/4" long at about a 90 degree angle. At the other end of the wire create a narrow oblong loop for a handle. Gloves on! Open the valve and insert the short bent wire into the groove where the blade runs. Start near the blade and GENTLY scrape away from the blade more than half way around. Then go to the other side and do the same. Repeat a few times more, until no more gunk comes loose. On the opposite side of the opening from the blade when it is open there is a small inward dimple in the circumference of the opening and the blade. That area is usually where the crud collects and the problem usually lies, so give that area a couple extra scrapes.

After you have scraped it several times, flush with water a couple of times to get the loose gunk out. Then flush a few more times while cleaning with a stiff bristle toilet brush between flushes. I like to use an old tooth brush. Be careful to not drop it into the tank!

This step should not be necessary in order to resolve the leak, but I turn the water off and flush to empty the bowl one more time. Once the water stops flowing I add a 1/4 cup of olive oil and let it set there for an hour or so. This will lube the blade and seal.

I do this about ever 2-3 years, or more often if the water starts seeping out.

A W Warn 06-13-2013 02:59 PM

An after thought, some people might tell you to use silicone grease to lube the seal in lieu of olive oil.