Airstream Forums

Airstream Forums (https://www.airforums.com/forums/)
-   Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/)
-   -   Adding External Fuel Pump (https://www.airforums.com/forums/f159/adding-external-fuel-pump-10557.html)

smily 04-07-2004 10:24 AM

Adding External Fuel Pump
 
Do you think I can add an inline electric fuel pump to my Landyacht?

I am thinking about adding one external to the fuel tank, rather than drop the fuel tank to replace the original.

Will the external fuel pump draw through the old internal pump pick up tube?

I know this sounds hokey but I have looked at dropping the fuel tank and it does not look like fun.

Smily

TomW 04-07-2004 10:40 AM

Fraught with peril
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smily
Do you think I can add an inline electric fuel pump to my Landyacht?

I am thinking about adding one external to the fuel tank, rather than drop the fuel tank to replace the original.

Will the external fuel pump draw through the old internal pump pick up tube?

I know this sounds hokey but I have looked at dropping the fuel tank and it does not look like fun.

Smily

You might try and find one rated at the correct delivery pressure first. Fuel injection requires considerably higher pressure than carburators do, so not just any external fuel pump will work.

Its fairly easy to see if the new pump will draw through the old one - disconnect the fuel line at some point, and suck on it with an appropriate vacuum source ;) .

I ran an electric fuel pump on my carberated Suburban for a while when the mechanical fuel pump went out. The rattling noise it transmitted through the frame drove me nuts! I am much happier with my replacement mechanical pump.

Tom

smily 04-07-2004 10:48 AM

Fuel flow
 
As I mentioned in my other post, I am getting fuel to the now disconnected fuel filter. I only get fuel when I am turning the engine over.

Is this an indiction that the electric pump is working properly?

Based on your post on the other thread, I am assuming that the fuel pump is not working "well enough", or the pressure is too low.:confused:

I must admit that I am definitely going to be checking the fuel line behind the (chassis) filter first. As in the carbuerator filter, (if it has one), and the portals that lead to the injectors, (top of throttle body).

Smily

smily 04-07-2004 10:56 AM

Fuel flow again
 
Further more, as I wrote earlier, I am obviously getting fuel but just not enough.

So in my mind, it seems that:
a. fuel is coming through the existing internal fuel pump.
b. the existing fuel pump is working to some degree beacuse the line is disconnected from the mechanical, (I think).

Does the mechanical pump suck / draw fuel from the tank or
does the mechanical pump push fuel from the tank, (pressurization)?

If the inline filter is disconnected and the fuel line is dis-continous, can the engine get fuel form the tank? (it will not start when fuel filter is removed).

I guess what I am asking is, are there two or more lines to the fuel tank?

I am aware of a return line and I do see more than one line going towards the fuel tank.

Am I clear as mud?:o
Smily

TomW 04-07-2004 10:57 AM

You nailed it, Ken
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by smily
...I am assuming that the fuel pump...pressure is too low.:confused:

That's what I am thinking.

TomW 04-07-2004 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smily
Does the mechanical pump suck / draw fuel from the tank or
does the mechanical pump push fuel from the tank, (pressurization)?

The mechanical pump sucks/draws fuel from the tank

Quote:

If the inline filter is disconnected and the fuel line is dis-continous, can the engine get fuel form the tank? (it will not start when fuel filter is removed).
Huh? If you are thinking an auxillary or backup supply line, I have never seen one.

Quote:

I guess what I am asking is, are there two or more lines to the fuel tank?

I am aware of a return line and I do see more than one line going towards the fuel tank.
Depending on your configuration, there could be three or more lines attached to the fuel tank. One fuel supply line, one fuel return line, and possibly a line from a charcoal cannister or some other emissions device.

wb13798 04-07-2004 12:40 PM

if you have fuel injected engine you don't have a mechanical fuel pump. why??? you could never get the pressure needed to feed the fi system. i dropped my tank and it isn't a easy task but it can be done. careful not to damage the filler hose they is expensive. you probably have a filter in the tank that is clogging up and to add a external pump is a short term fix,until the filter clogs up and notta. a pump would cost about $100. so bite the bullet and drain the tank and do it right. when you break down with a fuel tank filter problem it will be expensive. and it is not a repair you can do on the side of the road.

moisheh 04-07-2004 04:00 PM

fuel pump woes
 
You only have one choice. Drop the tank. You have one fuel pump: in the tank. It is old and probably NG. The volume required on start up is minimal. There are no aftermarket external pumps that will work. Sometimes the problem is a tiny piece of dirt gets into the pump, These pumps are way too small.Follow the intake line from the throttle body to where it enters the tank. Smack the tank with a rubber mallet. Iy MAY make the pump work again. Also check the fuel pump relay.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.