Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fort wayne , Indiana
Thinking about adding 1958 Overlander to my collection...

I have an opportunity to buy a 1958 overland. In really good shape but I don't know a lot about this baby. I have a 1973 excella that has a ton of character. What are your thoughts on desirability compared to my excella?
Russ G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
You 58 will be very similar to my '63, my rebuild link is in my sig line.

Not better or worse than your other trailer, just different.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fort wayne , Indiana
Thanks I will check it out. I always like to learn about it first...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Russ, Do you still have that 77 Minuet?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thinking about adding 1958 overlander to my collection...

Greetings Russ G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ G View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a 1958 overland. In really good shape but I don't know a lot about this baby. I have a 1973 excella that has a ton of character. What are your thoughts on desirability compared to my excella?
You will find that there are a number of differences between a 1958 and a 1973 as well as many similarities. Some of the features found oun a 1958 that wouldn't be found on your 1973 include:
  • Door Within A Door. This is a feature that ended with the 1964 models. Rather than having a separate screen door, these coaches had a screen panel in the middle of the entrance door with a solid aluminum panel on the exterior that covered the screen section and acted as a second door when on wished to have the additional ventilation.
  • Jalousie Window. You will find either one or stacked jalousie windows next to the entry door. This is a feature that disappeared after 1964 and you either love or hate the feature. Personally, I love my jalousie windows and wish that my coach had more.
  • Tandem Electrics. The 1958 coach will likely have a tandem electric system with no Univolt as the Univolt didn't become standard until 1964. Each light fixture will have both 12-volt-DC and 120-Volt-AC lights. The furnace and water pressure pump will operate from individual electic transformers, and if so equipped, there will be transformers for the fans in the ceiling vents.
  • Split-Rims. Unless a prior owner has installed modern one-piece wheels, the coach probably has split-rims. Split rims made tire changing and repairs easier in the field, but the split-rims developed a reputation for being problematic if over-inflated or mis-assembled so most tire shops will no longer service this type of wheel.
  • Pressure Water System. Unless it has been updated, a 1958 Airstream typically has a pressure water system. Often the large, cylindrical, galvanized steel fresh water tank is located below the front lounge. The cylinder is pressurized when it is filled with water and additional pressure can be added via a schroeder valve near the water intake or via an electric pressure pump (optional) mounted near the tank.
  • Trailer Brakes. This would have been a time when the original customer may have ordered the coach with four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, four-wheel electric drum brakes, or one axle with electric drums and one axle with hydraulic drums. The hydraulic brakes have little in common with those that were used in the 1970s Excella Hydra-Vac Disc Brakes. With these 1950s era hydralic brakes, the brakes tapped directly into the tow vehicle's braking syste. My 1964 Overlander originally cam with the hydraulic trailer brakes on the front axle and electric brakes on the rear axle . . . special ordered by the original ownes because they had a 1957 Mercury setup to a trailer with hydraulic brakes and a 1964 Mercury setup for electric trailer brakes . . . I have run across about six Airstreams equipped in this manner so it wasn't very common (evidently).
  • Refrigerator. The gas absorbtion type of refrigerator had become quite common in the Airstream line by 1958, but I believe that it was still possible to find some Airstreams with electric refrigerators (some of these had provisions for a block of ice for cooling while underway).
I am almost certainly missing many differences, but the above are some of the major differences between the coaches of the two eras,

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fort wayne , Indiana
No! Someone wanted it more than me. Now I want another one, my wife is mad bc she really liked it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fort wayne , Indiana
Thanks Kevin, I'm trying to make sure it sleeps 4... Then I think it will be a lock.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Thinking about adding 1958 overlander to my collection...

Greetings Russ G!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ G View Post
Thanks Kevin, I'm trying to make sure it sleeps 4... Then I think it will be a lock.
The typical 1958 Overlander would be a four-sleeper with the "Double" floorplan having two lounges that convert into RV double beds (one mid-ship and one in front) or "Twin" with twin bed mid-ship and a convertible front lounge). In both cases, there would be a compact drop-leaf dining table for dining rather than the 1970s built-in folding dining table. There may even be provision for hammock bunk(s) mid-ship, and if you are quite fortunate the hammock bunks may still be with the coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
Fort wayne , Indiana
I will keep everyone posted if I pick it up