Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2004, 08:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
1957 Single Axle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2470212993

Anyone near Niles MI? This looks like a great project but it's hard to see from 900 miles. My major concern is just getting it here or to a frame axel shop to get it ready to bring home.
I have a picture of underneath and seems to have no black tank, but frame looks OK except for bumper bracket area in photo.
Straight axel should be easy replacement, n0?
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:21 AM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
In 57 the suspension was leaf springs, so the axle should not "need" to be replaced. I would be more concerned about bearings, tires, and brakes.

The exposed section of the bumber would make me question the unseen sections of the frame. That is going to need a local inspector to put the old mark one eyball on to be sure it is sound.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings PdWms!

Quote:
I have a picture of underneath and seems to have no black tank, but frame looks OK except for bumper bracket area in photo.
I would echo Brett's concerns about the potential of some obscured frame damage based upon the severity of the rust in the bumper support. There does, however, appear to be a blackwater tank. In the late 1950s through early 1960s Overlanders, the blackwater tank was mounted on top of the floor under the toilet - - looking at the bathroom photo, it appears that the toilet is sitting on a raised platform which would tend to indicate the presence of a blackwater tank.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 08:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
That frame is scary. That's MAJOR work to repair even if thats the only bad spot. Several of us have coaches that we have or are in the middle of frame off's. NONE looked like that in that area. One has so much rust that they are make a whole new frame and it didn't have any problems in that area.

I'm not saying it's not worth gettign that coach but I sure wouldn't want to atempt to tow it till that frame was fully inspected by opening the belly pan.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 09:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Reality strikes again. There's no way to go look at it and that would be necessary. Great shell at least from the pictures and inside looks like it was taken care of over the year. At least not out in the woods with no windows for 20 years.
Thanks....
Old 03-30-2004, 11:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Psychpw,
I'm not 'eyes on', but I can tell you I had the same rust on my frame. It was very localized, and I attribute it to the black tank or a leaky roof vent. Wasn't as bad as the picture, but I wouldn't give up until you get someone to look at it closer. My rust did not extend more than a few inches.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Ohhh Yeah I didn't want to scare you away. I just want you to be cautious and now what your getting into. If you can weld and that is isolated...hoenstly is not a horrible repair. If you have to pay soembody to do the work....well I would keep looking. A repair like that could easily run you $1000.

The rest of the coach looks wonderful but Rust is a scary deal. It can be real bad and you no know it.
Old 03-30-2004, 12:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Budget

Actually my budget for the project could handle 2000 to get the frame and running gear in top shape. Just have to put off the polish guy a year. I'll post a underneath picture of the right rear this pm.
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Here's the underneather picture. Only a little helpful. Surprised the springs set so low. No obvious parts falling off.
Belly looks like it wants to come off.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Those springs don't look bad. Plenty of arch remaining. Free arch will be about 5". Only about 3" of clearance from the spring plates to the ground with the tires fully inflated. Looks normal.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 07:23 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Well the rear cross members that are visable look solid....that's a good sign. I bet the very last one is toast. It was on mine and I think it was on Mark's. Ours it was leaks in the bath that caused that.

Still cant see the area that the rust is in and how far up that rail it extends.

Belly pan is coming loose. I would bring a screw gun, Tek screws and washers and get it reattached the the cross members. If it hangs like that it will eventually split that seam. It's going to have the ends of the out rigers wear through where it's visable from the side as it moves going down the hwy.

I would also remove the spare tire and the mount to get the wieght off that bumper till the frame can be repaired. That's about 75lb hanging back there. I doubt the frame will suport that for any sort of distance and the bumper is nearly irreplacable.

I think your going to find rot back in the corner. As long as that rust is isolated to just that area I think that this repair might not be super bad. It is going to require the whole rear from the last rib back to be disassembled. That's not horrible and a pretty common repair.

It's not uncommon for the floor to be rotten under the water tank against the front wall. We had a lot of problems in that area. I would expect that to have issues and be happy if it doesn't

The interior is in surprisingly good condition. The coach looks in better condition then what we started with but ours was a family Heirloom. The repairs were our only expendature and We have done all the work.

It's worth saving but budget about twice as much as you think you need to repair that frame and don't be surprised if you exceed that if you have to hire somebody to do the work. If you can weld then this could be a bargain with a lot of sweat equity.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:30 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
I would be wanting to put in a grey tank so would need to be doing some frame work anyway. Is it necessary to remove the skin or can floor section be taken up and repairs/mod done with shell on?
Old 03-31-2004, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychpw
I would be wanting to put in a grey tank so would need to be doing some frame work anyway. Is it necessary to remove the skin or can floor section be taken up and repairs/mod done with shell on?
You can get that last section of floor out. There is a couple recent posts on this. On in particualar I read just a few days ago was pretty good. He was dealing with a newer coach but same basic steps.

As for the gray...I'll be adding one soon and Mark is also adding one. I'm going to go as close to the axle as possible. Mark posted a link to a company that has suitable tanks when you get ready in the Monty post in the floor repair section (its under interrior repair). I may still make my tank out of aluminum.

Tags