Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2011, 03:51 AM   #21
x

XXXX , XXXX
I know it's a Cadillac and as a Canadian I'd bet that I know more about American culture than most Americans. We are the 51st state you know.

One of the funniest shows I watched when I was younger was WKRP in Cinncinnati. To quote the catch phrase from one of their advertisers.
" Red Wigglers, The Cadillac of worms"
That phrase is engraved into Canadian culture as well, and if you go back far enough so is " that's a real Duessy". Now that car was the pinnacle of manufacturing. The Duesenberg far exceeds the Cadillac.

So now that everyone knows the location of the car tours are from 8:00AM to 4:00PM. $2.00 each and $25 to drive it.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Man, what a stable!! Vintage trailer collection and the vintage cars to pull them!
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:27 AM   #23
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Uh oh....the "secret" location isn't so secret anymore, now is it? Do you really trust this person, who is obviously in love with this car not to drive it around the streets of ___________?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
x

XXXX , XXXX
Shawn of course I trust him. I actually told him he could take it out for a cruise.
I want to make sure it is reliable enough for the drive home.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #25
x

XXXX , XXXX
D Day

Well today is D day for the pick up of the 55 Overlander. H Hour is almost upon me now. I'm leaving soon and pulling an all nighter. I'lll be driving straight through and hope to arrive in Ohio before the tag office opens at 8:00 AM. The plan is to hook and book as soon as I get the temp tag. With any luck I should have it home before night fall on Saturday.
Pics and an on the road update to follow provided I can find a wifi connection along the way.
stay tuned for further details.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 PM   #26
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Good luck and be safe in your travels!

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 10-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #27
x

XXXX , XXXX
on the road update from Norwalk Ohio. I arrived at the tag office at 6:00AM this morning after 7.5 hrs driving including refuelind and the delay at the border. My GPS took me through some strange routes in Detroit last night. That was a little scary cruisingthrough there at 2:00AM on a Fri night/sat morn. State troopers in Ashland helped me find the tag office and Jason's house as the GPS wouldn't recognize either address. 8:00am and I was in the tag office. Out in ten minutes. I had one minor problem I was all hitched up and ready to go when I saw the ball on the receiver bar looked funny. I had my employee put the ball on the other day and he must not have tightened it up properly. The nut and washer were missing. Luckily one of Jason's neighbors had an extra ball that he offered to give me but I insisted on paying him for it.
I'm sitting in a Ford Dealer in Norwalk Ohio right now. I needed to have my lug nuts retorqued after the truck was serviced. They are also airing up the tires on the A/S and they helped me get my laptop wifi working. Great people and very friendly.
Tester Ford Norwalk Ohio. If you're ever in the area call on them for any needs.I'm capping my speed at 50 mph for the trip back so I expect to be back home by 5:00PM or 6:00PM. That will make 20 hrs round trip including the layover in Ashland wiating for the tag office to open.
Pics once I get home so not until the am Sunday.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
You came through detroit? Why not new york?

Sorry I couldn't be there to help make it a smoother pickup. I'm not real thrilled to be sitting at Ford in detroit all weekend. I am not sure when I will even get to attend to winterizing my airstreams. It seems there's no break to work.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Wow congrats on your new Overlander. I love the 50's overlanders.

Also congrats on your new TV. It is GORGEOUS! Can't wait to see the Overlander's journey and the future TV.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #30
x

XXXX , XXXX
Houston The Eagle has landed

Actually it has Overlanded. Home safe and sound was racing against daylight to get back as there are no working clearance lights on it. It's amazing the old girl held up to the trip. I had her up to 70 MPH at some points trying to beat the sunset. The last two hours I needed a pee real bad but couldn't spare the time.

I found out what the problem with the GPS was. I some how had it set to avoid toll roads so that's why it took me through downtown Detroit.

Jason the tambour is on the galley counter in your trailer. When you see your neighbour who is half way down and to the right of you as you look at the road thank him again for me will you. BTW when you need the BMV go to Ashland. Brand new building and no lineups at all. I was in and out in ten minutes this morning.
Niche- Thanks for the compliments.
I'm off to bed now as I've been awake for 21 hrs straight. Tomorrow is another day and another rescue. I'm headed to Idaho to get the 47 liner.
My employee will be here in the AM. He is going to house sit for me while I'm gone and keep an eye on the campground.
800 miles round trip if anybody's interested.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Sorry it's so far away, I'd be there!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
ironically, I am now at home. I must go back to detroit tomorrow but I found the tambour in the trailer as I was winterizing it tonight. thanks Chris, it looks great. It will make a great original addition to the argosy motorhome.

I'm guessing the neighbor you talked to was steve. he's very helpful and a really nice guy.

Glad to hear you made it home safely.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #33
x

XXXX , XXXX
The caddy is home

So if any of you have been following my other thread about the 47 liner and it's recovery part of the trip entailed bringing this car home along with the 1961 Sovereign that was at Frank's Trailer Works in Baltimore Maryland.

Home Page

Frank is a great guy. Not only did he do a fantastic job getiing the 61 ready for the trip here, he also assisted me by driving the caddy from Baltimore to my place.
The ride back here was wrought with mechanical problems on the car. It was only due to Frank's perseverence and driving skills that it made it in one piece.
The first difficulty was that the water pump was leaking. Now you can't just walk into Pep Boys and pick a water pump off the shelf for a 54 caddy. So we set off with several jugs of water and antifreeze and checked it every 100 miles.
The controls for the heater have been removed so for the entire trip there was no heat in the car and no ability to defrost the windshield either. We set off at 3:30 AM and the ambient temps were in the low to mid thirties. Poor Frank was frozen solid and had some harrowing experiences travelling into the valleys in PA when the windshield would fog up and would only clear up once he drove to higher elevations. Later towards mid day that was no longer a problem and he kept himself thawed out with several large hot coffees.
The gas guage was not indicating properly either. We found out that the tank is 20 gallons and worked on the assumption that the car would get 10 MPG. Therefore we could travel 200 miles before running out of gas. We set a threshold of 150 miles to refill. As it turns out it was getting 15 MPG and each fill up was never over 10 gallons so we were never in any danger of running out of gas.
The water pump leak seemed to slow down also and we once added some stop leak which stopped the leak almost entirely.
The third difficulty we encountered was the braking system failed entirely in northern PA. We stopped at a truck stop and added an entire bottle of brake fluid which seemed to recify the situation some what. Frank felt comfortable carrying on so we set off again.
Now somewhere in NY while travelling along the interstate which was concrete and has expansion joints every 20 ft one of the rear tires developed a problem. I think a belt seperated and the car started to vibrate violently. So much so that the trunk lid shook so much it began to pop open. We then had to drop the speeds to down under 50 MPH to lessen the effects of the vibration. This made for a very slow and much longer reminder to the trip.
It took over 2.5 hrs to clear both US and Canadian customs. So we set off for the last portion of the journey on CDN soil late in the afternoon. We were travelling along a very busy expressway at slow speeds and motorists very visibly upset at us. Lots of single digit salutes were directed towards us.
Now if we (meaning Frank) didn't have enough to deal with it started to rain. The wiper system on a 54 Caddy is vacuum operated and the cable from the switch to the wiper sytem is missing so to use the wipers you need to open the hood and start the system manually by pulling the control by hand. To his credit Frank persevered through the worst traffic without the wipers and by now it had gotten dark out. We did stop once we were off the expressway and turn them on and a refuelling stop so he had wipers for the remaining 2 hrs of the trip.
About an hour from here the brakes started to fail again and as we were now on a rural highway with less traffic Frank decided to carry on using the manual hand brake to stop the car. The last 1/3 of the mile we almost collided with each other. I was telling Frank about the up coming turns and hills via walkie talkie. The last portion of the trip to my place entails several turns and one steep hill. At the bottom of that hill is the turn off to my place. I was telling Frank about the hill and turn and trying to observe in the mirrors how he was doing at the same time he was trying to tell me to get out of the way as he was unable to stop the car. He had to swerve out from behind me and carry on down the road while trying to avoid the idiot behind him who was tailgating. This guy was upset about waiting behind us as we were travelling slowly on the highway. It's only down to Frank's skills as a driver that an accident was avoided.
The entire trip took 17 hrs and according to google maps it should ahve been only 10 hrs.
We were both exhausted upon arrival. We ate a quick meal of take out pizza and got some sleep. Frank commented that while trying to drop off to sleep his entire body was still vibrating from the continued exposure to the tire problem and the vibrations it caused to the car.
I can't express my gratitude to Frank enough for all his valiant efforts to get this car back here. A lesser man would have given up much sooner. It speaks volumes to his character as a man.

Anyway the car looks cool and despite the few problems will make a great tow vehicle for the 55 Overlander once repairs are made. I am sending it to my mechanic for the repairs and several upgrades to the braking system and upgrade to other systems as well.
I will replace the front brakes with a disc brake setup and replace the single tank master cylinder with a dual tank setup. The wiper sytem will be upgraded to an electric system. I also plan to replace and retrofit the steering and suspension with new and upgraded parts to make this car reliable and safe.
Here are some pics of it I shot today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 002.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	308.8 KB
ID:	145096   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 003.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	366.4 KB
ID:	145097  

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	345.3 KB
ID:	145098   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 005.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	145099  

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 006.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	145100   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 007.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	369.8 KB
ID:	145101  

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 008.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	324.4 KB
ID:	145102   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 009.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	281.2 KB
ID:	145103  

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 010.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	319.6 KB
ID:	145104   Click image for larger version

Name:	1954 Cadillac Series 62 011.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	145105  

Old 11-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Can we do it again next week? It was a blast and an honor to be a part of the mission.
I got to see a wonderful part of Canada and form a new friendship. What more could a guy ask for.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Can we do it again next week? It was a blast and an honor to be a part of the mission.
I got to see a wonderful part of Canada and form a new friendship. What more could a guy ask for.
You could ask to go back next summer with your Airstream for a camping trip.

Andrea and I were doing some work on the Argosy the other evening and lamenting the end of the camping season this year. We were recalling our memorable trips last year and the "Canada Rally" and camping at Chris's campground was definitely a highlight and something we'd like to do again. Perhaps we could begin the planning now in order to get the word out sooner and get even more Airstreams this next year? Chris?

I'd love to see the forming collection of Airstreams as well as the Caddy. Having read the travel tales, I am surprised to see the condition of it outside. It's beautiful.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:00 PM   #36
x

XXXX , XXXX
Jason I'd love to have another rally here. I propose the dates of the week of Monday August 6th to Sunday August 12th 2012. The August Civic holiday weekend here ends on Monday the 6th so any date from that day to start the rally would work for me. You can decide the start date and duration yourself. I personally would like a longer rally than the three days the first time.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #37
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
We can't do that particular weekend, but just after the Bash next year, we'll be heading up to Maine and starting our downward spiral to the TAC Walt Disney World Rally...during this time we do intend on going into Canada (but you'd have to ask Nicki the specific week).

Old 11-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #38
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
OOoooooooo... that is one sweet Caddy! Well, body and interior wise, that is.

And quite the trip home! Glad to hear you guys both made it in one piece!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Run that Cad across the scale for us! Ought to be some perspective on present and past TV's.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #40
x

XXXX , XXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Run that Cad across the scale for us! Ought to be some perspective on present and past TV's.
online info says 4800 lbs. scale will have to wait until it's on the road w/ brakes

Tags