Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1954 - 1959 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1955 26' Cruiser/Overlander
Mena , Arkansas
1955 Overlander built in Ohio in 1954

I acquired what appears to be a 1955 Airstream Overlander that actually shows a 1954 serial number.

The title shows it to be a 1955.

The serial number shows it to be a late 1954. I am aware that they made 1955 billed trailers in 1954 and I think that is the case here.

1954 Crusier 25'/26' - Vintage Airstream

This shows the serial number I have, but this Airstream actually is the Overlander and NOT an "Overlander/Cruiser" as suggested by the link.

My Overlander is this exact model...

http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...5f2a577483.pdf

It has two of the available upgrades (no bunk beds).

Further, the under the toilet bowl date shows August of 1954 (very hard to actually read). It took quite some time to decide what this really was based on the pictures and the above resources.

Based on this, it appears to be one of the first ever manufactured Overlander models from Airstream. It has the 13 panels on each end. I see that some find the "whale tale" ends to be interesting, but really they would have been cheaper to build than the double 13's, like mine. Therefore the double 13's should be more desirable (just my opinion).

The trailer is actually in pretty decent shape given that its 61 years old this year. There are only a few dents and scratches comparatively speaking to similar year model examples I have seen. All the original stuff is on and in the trailer, but I am sure it would not work if connected, and I won't be connecting any of it. The only thing I have found missing is the front bed, folding (non-attached) table and air pump for the water tank in the front. It has some broken windows and thus water damage in those areas.

I did a quick clean up on the trailer and I have attached some pictures. I will get some interior pictures when I get time.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello. I think I may sell this one. I really don't have much time to mess with it, but wish I did. I wanted to get some pictures out there and info so others might be able to identify this model if they have or see one.

Thanks!!!

uc71953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:16 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only thing that matters on your registration is the VIN number and your name. I have seen a 1955 registered as a 1975 and a 1974 registered as a 1952. Many vehicles have a cross over period between when they were built and when they actually get on the road.
1954 was very high production year. It was also the first year of the Ohio factory.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 06:35 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Congratulations, it looks like you have found a nice clean '55! An August build probably should be the next year model and I did zoom in on some of your photos and noticed that the windows have crank openers, introduced in 1955.

I'm sure folks would like some interior photos as well as keeping us updated as you enjoy your trailer.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mena , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
The only thing that matters on your registration is the VIN number and your name. I have seen a 1955 registered as a 1975 and a 1974 registered as a 1952. Many vehicles have a cross over period between when they were built and when they actually get on the road.
1954 was very high production year. It was also the first year of the Ohio factory.
1953 was the first year of production at the Ohio Factory according to this...

1953 Cruiser 25' - Vintage Airstream

I am sure there are many mis-titled trailers out there.

It does have the new features introduced in 1955, but was manufactured in 1954.

As an aside, where does the vintageairstream.com get its data from? Perhaps it needs updating? The trailer values portion seems to be half a decade old.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
looks great. Let's hope it finds a nice home and an active family to use it on the road again!
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Cortez , Colorado
Looks Good:

Looking forward to seeing the interior! This would look good along side my 67 Overlander. Let me know if your interested in selling it.
comtnbyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
I have a '55 Overlander and I noticed some slight differences. The side door on mine is "suicide" style, the aluminum across the front is a single piece, where yours is 3 and mine has "Airstream" below the front window. Just some small differences. I also have two reflectors on the rear below the taillights.
Warren Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Almost all vehicles mfg In the last few months of the year are the next years model. It's always been that way. Trailers included, as far as I know.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Sweet.

If you sell it, PLEASE make sure it doesn't become a food truck. That one needs to be restored well. It's a beauty.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:28 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Mena , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Perry View Post
I have a '55 Overlander and I noticed some slight differences. The side door on mine is "suicide" style, the aluminum across the front is a single piece, where yours is 3 and mine has "Airstream" below the front window. Just some small differences. I also have two reflectors on the rear below the taillights.
Yours is likely a California model (they do things backwards out there anyway )...haha

Is your trunk in the same place as mine? Mine is set further back than a lot of similar models, especially the Cruiser models. Mine is towards the back on the right side and the Cruisers seem to be right next to the wheel well.

Is yours original or gutted and redone? I wonder if your appliances and stuff are like mine.
Old 12-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Everett , Ontario
From what I understand, the California model has the "whale-tail" back, while the Ohio model has the 13 panel back - which we both have. My trunk is in the same location as yours, but has been sealed off. I have added some shots of the interior to my profile (hopefully I did it correctly) There appears to be little left of the original on mine. The front was empty. the two single beds were converted to a double, the washroom was completely changed about and the kitchen has been half gutted. I plan to put it basically back to the original layout, but with some ever so slight touches of modern to make it a little more attractive. I think the original layout works well.
Warren Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Sponge-painted interior . . . Be still my heart!

Quote:
From what I understand, the California model has the "whale-tail" back, while the Ohio model has the 13 panel back - which we both have. . . . I have added some shots of the interior to my profile (hopefully I did it correctly).
Warren:

You are correct, the sloping and converging 13 panel rear end is an Ohio feature, which is where your trailer was built. Shari Davis (InsideOut) will enjoy your interior photos as she simply adores sponge-painted mid-Fifties interiors.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Mena , Arkansas
Quote:
From what I understand, the California model has the "whale-tail" back, while the Ohio model has the 13 panel back - which we both have. My trunk is in the same location as yours, but has been sealed off. I have added some shots of the interior to my profile (hopefully I did it correctly) There appears to be little left of the original on mine. The front was empty. the two single beds were converted to a double, the washroom was completely changed about and the kitchen has been half gutted. I plan to put it basically back to the original layout, but with some ever so slight touches of modern to make it a little more attractive. I think the original layout works well.
Your pictures worked just fine. It does appear that it has been changed from the original as you stated. One difference is that in the kitchen the drawers on yours are on the left side of the sink and on mine they are on the right side of the sink close to the stove/oven.

Mine has the twin beds and they actually came with the original foam mattresses, but I took those nasty things out and will put back the original boards over the beds when I get my interior pictures. I have not been feeling well for about a week now and have not had time to get the minor cleaning done I want to do on the interior before shooting the pictures. When I do, I will be taking HDR pictures of it for everyone to see.

It has been difficult to find any information on people restoring or using the Sunray stove and Sunair wall heater. Propane (or butane as the flyer says) stuff is usually not complicated at all, and I suspect they might work fine, if cleaned up properly and tested. Mine has two gas lights as well. I am familiar with those as I have two in my off grid cabin. They are intact and include both globes.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Mena , Arkansas
More pictures including interiors

Here are the final pictures of the 1955 Overlander. These are going to be used for marketing, but I am posting them here for people who are looking at this model and need reference for what it might be.

These are LARGE pictures, but are reasonable in file size. You can zoom in and get quite a bit of detail if you want.

This one is going up for sale tonight.

Tags
1954, 1955