Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

New Bubble

Hi there Folks:
I am close to the time to drive north and pick up my very first Airstream trailer. It is a 1957 Bubble, hopefully to become my very own little fly fishing partner. I'm buying it more-or-less sight unseen but with hope in my heart. There is a toliet and from the picture, it looks a lot like a small marine toliet. However (here it comes), the line from the toliet goes outside, not to a holding tank. I'm REALLY hopeing that a tank can be installed and then too, I am absolutely at the mercy of this board for advice.
Does anyone know of any Airstream club members in my area - how does one find out who's around who knows stuff. Pray for me. Jo Ann
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2002, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Welcome Jo Ann,
I'm sure you will receive numerous responses from the forum since I have seen countless posts from individuals in CA. The forum is a great source of help and I'm sure you will benefit from it as I have.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 07:07 PM   #3

Jo Ann,
I hope your bubble turned out better than you expected. I just wanted to say, there are holding tanks with wheels that could be just the thing for your toilet. The tanks are blue, and can be found on various RV and trailer sites.
I am restoring a 1958 Bubble, the only one I have heard of that late date. I just got the new title yesterday, after having been working on it for 4 years now. What a relief. Now I have added incentive to get it roadworthy. I am still riveting the shell back on the frame. What a major pain it has been, but it has a completely new floor. They obviously never made these things to come apart again. I am also in the process of sanding the interior before I paint it. Then I can start installing the new interior structures I have built, based on the sagging, rotting, smelly originals. It is going to start getting expensive after that, with some new appliances and plumbing. I am still trying to find a "stock" holding tank that will fit in the VERY limited bathroom space. It will be a compromise, probably a marine tank curved to fit a boat hull.
Anyhow, good luck with your new Bubble. Let us know how it is going.
Tom
Old 08-16-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Holding tanks for Bubbles

BB:
Contact me off the forum - see my profile for email address. I have located some tanks that I think will fit inbetween frame members. The company that makes these are in Arnold, CA but they have an extensive web site. I plan to put in a 22 gal fresh water, 15 gal grey and 15 gal black tank.
Have you gutted your trailer or are you rebuilding with same layout?
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 06:49 AM   #5
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Holding tanks

Quote:
I am still trying to find a "stock" holding tank that will fit in the VERY limited bathroom space. It will be a compromise, probably a marine tank curved to fit a boat hull.
My old Scamp had a small holding tank as part of the toilet base . As I remember, the tank and the piping from tank to the dump valve combined gave a capacity of a little over 6 gallons. It lasted me (solo) for the 5 days on the train at Copper Canyon.

Otherwise, the toilet looked and worked just like any RV toilet. I don't remember the brand. You might take a look at what Scamp installs since it should work in just about any older Airstream. I'll be that if one called Scamp in Backus, Minn, they would tell you the make and model.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote