Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Bubble > 1955 - 1957 Bubble
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #121
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I'm dumb....slap some sense into me

Well, up till now I never had a problem with Ghost numbers......I just polished what I had. I see you had the problem and it sounds like your done with the ghosts...I hope. So, now I have the problem. As though the Bubble was not enough to keep me busy....with the delay during the time my Friend was here and recuperating from the broken leg.....I had to much time on my hands and I found another 56 needing a home. It has ghosts, so I am into that problem as well as the interior of the Bubble. It never ends.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
OMG, Robin, how exciting!! Is it the '56 22' Flying Cloud I think I saw on your Avitar?

Well, I found out (many thanks to Beckybillrae) that some of the remaining "scratches" after the F9, F7 and "C" (Nuvite) were actually swirl marks, so when I get some time, I'm hoping to finish up the polishing. I was just about going nutty not knowing how to finish the polishing since I kept getting these fine scratches. I hadn't seen swirl marks in person, so I just didn't know. Oh well.

Time's been at a premium for us lately, DH always works long hours, and my work is going crazy, even tho I have tried to cut back, so I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to work on the Bubble for a couple months. I'm really disappointed. (We also have my Dad living with us, has been for almost 7yrs. now, and since he's going to be 97 in Nov., I am doing more for him as time goes on.)

I can't wait to see/hear more of your Bubble work and then this new "56! Looking forward to all that!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #123
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
San Luis Obispo , California
Rebuilt a '56 Bubble early 2000's. Removed almost everything; cabinets, toliet, bed, floor, axle, just about everything except the little wooden magazine rack. Redesigned entire floor plan with bath (shower,wash basin, shower pan, etc) in the street side rear; kitchen area midship on street side; main bed front under front window; 2nd bed curbside midship. All electrical under front bed. On demand propane hot water heater under kitchen sink; 24 gal freshwater tank under front bed, black and grey water tanks under floor (3/4"plywood) from midship to rear. Fuse box and converter under front bed along with small steel safe bolted to frame. Rebuilt/reinforced frame & step; new window glass with 3M plastic film on inside; wood blinds. Rear compartment closed off from main portion with opening in rear only. Laminate blond wood floors; 12volt frig; solar collector on roof. (I have some pictures somewhere I could send you.)
About $20K + original cost of $6 or $8K I forget which. Oh, eliminated drop axle for straight for more ground clearance; electric brakes with controller in truck; reworked tongue and put 2 12Volt batteries on tongue along with 30 gal propane tank and electric jack and spare tire. The weight now is about 3200 lbs. but tows nicely and stops quick.
Little Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 10:15 PM   #124
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
56 Bubble

I forgot couple of things: kitchen counter top stainless steel; walls of bathroom aluminum; kitchen drawers sheet metal with cherry wood stained front; propane ship's Force 10 2-burner stove top and space heater. Didn't do much cosmetically outside - looks like trailer trash, unshined, have awning but never put it up. Good luck - took me and the elves 2 yrs and al lot of Martini Fridays to get it done. Jw
Old 01-18-2014, 07:19 AM   #125
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi JW! Thanks so much for sharing, and I'd love to see some pics if you have them!

You didn't mention where you placed the frig and what size it is. That is one of the big "?'s" for us, or rather, one of the hold-ups, as there are only a couple of places to place a taller frig.

We considered the street side rear for the bath, but that's when we had been thinking about placing the bed on the opposite wall (curb side), and with the wheelwell on the street side right there, we couldn't come up with a good location for the door to get into the bath. How did you do it with a bed across from it?

Work on our baby is on hold as it is soooo cold here this winter, and the only high door we have on our shop is also where DH has his auto lift, which takes up a great deal of space in that area -- leaving only about 6" along the sides.

I can't tell you how excited I am to see some of your pics and am so appreciative that you posted some information.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 01-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Bubble floor plan

Deb and all:
Not sure how to post pics but if u can go to my profile pg n send me personal email, i will email pix; in the meantime try to follow this:
1. Open door n step in. Immediately to you rt is main bed; about wide and long as twin. This is across the width, under front window.
2. U R now facing the frig..and st side window.
3. Turn to your left. Next to frig is kitchen counter, sink, stove top.
4. Butting up against counter top at edge of stove top is Al wall of bath.
5. Continuing toward rear of trailer, to immediate Rt is bathroom-shower door.
It's a regular glass shower door, privacy is casual, as door glass is covered with decals of whatever came along. A third of the rear window is "in" the bathroom, n is also decals.
6. Do an about face, turning to face the front again. To your Rt is "couch/spare bed. It is about as wide as a sleeping bag. Underneath are two large storage drawers. At the top or forward end of this bed, you are back at the entry door.

This is prob confusing so send email address for pix. Oh, frIg is a 12 volt only from Backwoods. Added extra insulation and a biscuit fan for circulation plus a vent behind condenser area n frig uses very little electric.
Hope this helps. JW
Old 01-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #127
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
JW,

Thanks so much -- I have spent so much time inside our "girl", I was actually able to visualize every step as you led us on the "tour". This was helpful; we need a larger frig and need to sleep together

I plan to go inside when it warms up and try various layouts using large pieces of cardboard to see what works for us, making certain we can actually move around inside for the one we choose.

Thanks for the offer of emailing the pics, but your description was very clear and extremely helpful.

Thanks again.

Deb
Old 09-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #128
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
cumming , GA
I am now the owner of airstream bubble #307. I would love to find out more about it's history. Could you please let me know the name of the original owner. Thanks
teritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by teritchie View Post
I am now the owner of airstream bubble #307. I would love to find out more about it's history. Could you please let me know the name of the original owner. Thanks
Did you buy Deb's Bubble??

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #130
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
I'm not certain what happened, but I was logged in, typed a long reply, sent it, and then was told again I wasn't permitted to post on my thread. I'll try again, but a shorter version........

Nope, they didn't buy our little girl "Lily", she's still very much with us. I'm not certain why the OP posted that on my thread tho, that was confusing.

My DH and I have both had some medical issues, and my Dad, who lived with us for almost 8 yrs., declined and eventually passed on, about five months shy of 100 yrs old! I really miss my Dad, I couldn't have asked for a greater Dad.

We have been talking about getting back to working on Lily, although I am still somewhat stuck on figuring out a floor layout which gives us a dedicated bed for two, a taller frig, and a shower stall, along with the other necessities. We're willing to do without a small dinette if need be. Our new grey tank (which my DH built and installed) is located in the back end going East/West, so all of the water usage should be located back there as well, I imagine. Fresh water will be under the bed.

I'll post more as we go.

Deb
Old 09-02-2017, 06:36 PM   #131
3 Rivet Member

1957 26' Overlander
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
I'm not certain what happened, but I was logged in, typed a long reply, sent it, and then was told again I wasn't permitted to post on my thread. I'll try again, but a shorter version........

Nope, they didn't buy our little girl "Lily", she's still very much with us. I'm not certain why the OP posted that on my thread tho, that was confusing.

My DH and I have both had some medical issues, and my Dad, who lived with us for almost 8 yrs., declined and eventually passed on, about five months shy of 100 yrs old! I really miss my Dad, I couldn't have asked for a greater Dad.

We have been talking about getting back to working on Lily, although I am still somewhat stuck on figuring out a floor layout which gives us a dedicated bed for two, a taller frig, and a shower stall, along with the other necessities. We're willing to do without a small dinette if need be. Our new grey tank (which my DH built and installed) is located in the back end going East/West, so all of the water usage should be located back there as well, I imagine. Fresh water will be under the bed.

I'll post more as we go.

Deb

I know Becky posed the question, but on behalf of others of us following along on your thread, can I just say that I'm happy you didn't sell your "little girl"! I bet the poster meant to ask on the historian's thread (can't remember the title offhand)... but perhaps s(he) was also reading your thread... sorry about the loss of your dad!

Summer ('57 Overlander) [emoji4]
Sum75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Sum75, hello. Thank you for your very nice reply. My Dad was a very special, loving man, as well as WWII Veteran who understood how difficult life can be at times. There are times when one must slow down and handle life, then pick back up later, and that's what we have been doing.

I thought that the OP may have been new here (I didn't notice when s(he) signed up on AirForums) and wasn't certain how to start a new thread possibly.

Also, thank you for following along and for caring about our little girl and our progress with her. This past Spring I spoke with a cabinetmaker who agreed to build the cabinets for her once we decide upon the layout. I am excited to get back to working on her.

Deb
Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Deb,
I got our ideas for our trailer layout from looking at the vintage AS website. There are multiple layouts there, and you might find one that helps you. We did a mid ship double bed layout with rear bath (where it originally was). Cardboard mock ups and painters tape help with visuals.
Sorry about your dad's passing. Mine was also a WW2 vet.
Good luck!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:39 AM   #134
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Glad to hear you still have your little girl, Deb. Sorry about your dad. You got to enjoy him for a long time, but it's still not easy to lose loved ones.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Kay and Becky! Thanks to both of you regarding my Dad. I was very fortunate to have him for so many years. He was the type that you just knew he would be there for you whether for advice or when he was younger he helped others build their homes, or anything they needed help with -- whether you were family or friend, he was always there. As such, I did my best to be there for him in his later years.

Thank you, Kay, for the tip about the vintage Airstream site -- I had totally forgotten about that site!! OMG, what a great idea! I'm going to check it out.

Hope you all had a wonderful holiday.

Deb

Tags