Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2008, 08:34 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Dacia,
I am glad you made it home safely. It looks like a great trailer and I'll have to agree with others, The windows and the whale tail DO make that trailer stand out in a crowd. Get some rest now and I'll see you soon at Falluminum.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #42
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Ok, ok, ok, I wanna see. Tell you what. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!! Deal?

Hoping to be able to bring the International to Falluminum. All the electric system works, but still need to check out the plumbing. Will do that this weekend.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
More cool stuff

Click image for larger version

Name:	Care of your Airstream front cover-1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	70515 Click image for larger version

Name:	Care of your Airstream p1-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	70516 Click image for larger version

Name:	Care of your Airstream p2-1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	70517

I glanced through some of the documents handed to me with the trailer. Most are appliance manuals for upgrades over the years. But this original document caught my eye. I've not seen one before. It's a little booklet Airstream must have given with the sale. The first pages include the date and serial number. I don't know if this is a build date or a date of sale. If anyone can shed light on this I'd appreciate it.

Looks like the original owner mailed in their coupon for "Fifth Avenue on Wheels". I'd give my eye teeth to find it stashed somewhere in the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kposey View Post
Ok, ok, ok, I wanna see. Tell you what. I'll show you mine if you show me yours!! Deal?

Hoping to be able to bring the International to Falluminum. All the electric system works, but still need to check out the plumbing. Will do that this weekend.
Deal! Call me 'cause Elvis is in no condition for the Falluminum.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot View Post
Attachment 70515 Attachment 70516 Attachment 70517

I'd give my eye teeth to find it stashed somewhere in the trailer.
I'd be holding onto those teeth. You have bitten off what will eventually be a big job with lots to chew on . And especially at our advanced ages we need all the teeth we can get. Perhaps you'd rephrase that to say I'd give my hair - oh, wait a minute, by the time most of us get to this age we have no hair - so I guess giving up your teeth is just all part of the process......

Barry
Old 12-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
I'm keeping my teeth for now. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57 View Post
I'd be holding onto those teeth. You have bitten off what will eventually be a big job with lots to chew on . And especially at our advanced ages we need all the teeth we can get. Perhaps you'd rephrase that to say I'd give my hair - oh, wait a minute, by the time most of us get to this age we have no hair - so I guess giving up your teeth is just all part of the process......

Barry
And all the other organs I may have to sell to complete this project. Can you sell teeth for money??? I may consider selling my hair.

Admittedly, I knew what I was getting into before I even found the '56. There are few things in life worth the money spent. For me, this is an exception.

So Elvis went to Trailer Buff in Virignia last week. He's now under lock and key with some brothers and sisters awaiting his turn for restoration. I can say with complete confidence that he is in good hands. It looks like work will probably begin in mid spring. I'm still debating if I want to blog this process or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0557.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	72613 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0559.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	72614
Old 12-14-2008, 06:41 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dacia,

We understand your want to have a shop complete your "King" of trailers. It is quite an undertaking (Speaking from current experience). Let's hope you get plenty of pictures, and a good rate.

Steve
Old 12-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #47
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
I'm still debating if I want to blog this process or not.
Dacia, we've had some good results in posting an interactive blog-ish thread here on the forums. Everyone can see and respond to what's going on without the hassle of having to maintain a blog. Some of the more popular entries seem to be the "this is how you don't do it" type...
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 AM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Dacia,
You have definitely left Elvis is very good hands. When we toured Trailer Buff last June, I was totally blown away by the level of quality and attention to detail. I have absolutely zero doubt that Dave and his staff will return him to you in better than original condition. He does look comfortable hanging in the yard with his brothers and sisters. I see some cousins and half sisters there too. One big happy family all hanging out in the compound.

As far as that blog.... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:47 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Perhaps Elvis will meet an interesting counterpart and when you get him back you'll also have a Bambi to take along

Barry
Old 12-15-2008, 10:25 AM   #50
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Perhaps Elvis will meet an interesting counterpart and when you get him back you'll also have a Bambi to take along

Barry
If that happens, would Dacia then be a sister-in-law, a grandmother, or an aunt?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:35 PM   #51
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:

Barry
Dave has some models in the compound that are way cooler than any bambi ever made. If anyone is ever in the area, be sure to try and visit. It will be a humbling experience.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Airstream relations

Quote:

Barry
Well, if he happens to take a "shine" to any of those petite little numbers in the lot , he better have some plans for supporting her. 'Cause with a Tradewind brother here back at the house needin' a few things his self, momma ain't footin' the bill for another one right now!

But if any his relationships happened to produce pristine vintage little ones with all parts in working order, what decent grandmother could turn those away.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
. . . As far as that blog.... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE
OK, here it is. Never let it be said that I won't try something new.

The link is in my signature.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM   #54
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
... and another link is on my blog.... Thank you Dacia. You know trying new things is one of the things I like about you.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Inquiring people want to know...

Quote:
...So Elvis went to Trailer Buff in Virignia last week. He's now under lock and key with some brothers and sisters awaiting his turn for restoration.
Are these the last people on the planet who don't have a website? Hey, they've probably been inhaling Vulkem for too long.. I understand. Or it's like a secret club? Who do I have to bribe to get in?

I've oft mentioned the reasons I chose new over vintage - but I could be tempted to the vintage side if I knew someone within say 5 hours of Virginia Beach who did beautiful restos. Thanks for dropping the hint.

Now dish more about Trailer Buff - I found their address and phone number. I was probably within 1000 feet of their location less than two months ago, dammit. And would they do some relatively minor work on a newish 2006? I have ideas... dangerous but true.

Paula
Old 12-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Well, it's like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Are these the last people on the planet who don't have a website? Hey, they've probably been inhaling Vulkem for too long.. I understand. Or it's like a secret club? Who do I have to bribe to get in? . . . Paula
Nope, no website. Maybe it's the Vulkem. It might be because they have been successful with world of mouth advertising. But you can find contact info online, so web presence isn't nonexistent.

They don't do piecemeal work, however. Not even on vintage. Complete restorations only, each one from the frame up. It's a total custom rebuild to exceed factory specs. They give tours every Friday afternoon and would be happy to answer any questions by phone. Check them out, Paula. You might be surprised at what vintage can do for you.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:09 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
The blog looks great!

Any idea when restoration work will begin at Trailer Buff?

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #58
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Are these the last people on the planet who don't have a website? Hey, they've probably been inhaling Vulkem for too long.. I understand. Or it's like a secret club? Who do I have to bribe to get in?

I've oft mentioned the reasons I chose new over vintage - but I could be tempted to the vintage side if I knew someone within say 5 hours of Virginia Beach who did beautiful restos. Thanks for dropping the hint.

Now dish more about Trailer Buff - I found their address and phone number. I was probably within 1000 feet of their location less than two months ago, dammit. And would they do some relatively minor work on a newish 2006? I have ideas... dangerous but true.

Paula

Dave has more brain cells than he can handle. He is far from "vulkem inhalation impaired". After about 10 seconds of talking with him or his wife you realize that. My take is why maintain a website if you have a waiting list. Here we are talking about his business and that is the best advertising one could ever find

I lost my hard drive a few months back and all the photos on it. I took about 75 photos while I was there. A few of them are on my blog Anna Lumanum: East Coast Vintage Rally. He has a huge collection of old girls just waiting for new owners or you can bring him one. I think it will cost about the same either way. He has or had a very sweet Curtis Wright Clipper that I was just drooling over.

Sure hope some of that helped in the dishing... Dacia and I were there at the same time and obviously she was as impressed as I was.... she brought a trailer to him.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Dave has more brain cells than he can handle. He is far from "vulkem inhalation impaired". After about 10 seconds of talking with him or his wife you realize that. My take is why maintain a website if you have a waiting list. Here we are talking about his business and that is the best advertising one could ever find

I lost my hard drive a few months back and all the photos on it. I took about 75 photos while I was there. A few of them are on my blog Anna Lumanum: East Coast Vintage Rally. He has a huge collection of old girls just waiting for new owners or you can bring him one. I think it will cost about the same either way. He has or had a very sweet Curtis Wright Clipper that I was just drooling over.

Sure hope some of that helped in the dishing... Dacia and I were there at the same time and obviously she was as impressed as I was.... she brought a trailer to him.
Sorry... I didn't mean to sound witchy. I'm glad to hear about his business. I was utterly clueless that there was anything like this in the Virginia area - so it was a very pleasant suprise to see the business mentioned in your post.

Had I known about it two months ago when I was literally IN Afton - I might have done something RASH. I already printed the business address and phone number out, and have pasted it to my VA Map Book..... Next time I'm in Waynesboro or Charlottesville I'll have a side trip.

Always great to hear of someone who does great work.

Paula
Old 12-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
The blog looks great!

Any idea when restoration work will begin at Trailer Buff?

-Marcus
Thanks Marcus! It's a bit of a learning curve. Im still working on getting Elvis' story up to date. Then I can start blogging in the moment. I'm sure I'll have many "moments" before this is finished.

It looks like work might begin around mid spring next year.

Quote:
. . . I was utterly clueless that there was anything like this in the Virginia area - so it was a very pleasant suprise to see the business mentioned in your post. . . . Always great to hear of someone who does great work.

Paula
Paula, I was clueless too. The only place I knew of in the east that could do a solid restoration based on original design was Colin's at GSM Vehicles. New York is a long LONG way from Tennessee. I'm sure there are others, but they aren't always easy to find.

I first met Dave and Martha at the Shenandoah Unit Rally right after the CBR this year. Paul Waddell encouraged me to go. I had no idea the rally would be at Trailer Buff. How fortunate, especially knowing I would one day find my forever Airstream. And I was sure it would need major work.

Tags
1956, sovereign