Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1954 - 1959 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #381
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
I went back in the post and yep it looks gray.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #382
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Joe's right...it is the 1" air vent for the small grey tank under the dinette and it does go into the the outer wall. The other vent you are thinking of - the one that vents to the roof under that little eyebrow cap is for the black & the second, larger grey tank which runs up the wall in the bathroom. It's in the corner, in front of the window frame. The two vents are not connected. This vent is just a air relief vent to allow the tank to fill and the bathroom sink/shower to drain, because of the height & bends in it, there is no water that can go up & out. Make sense? I can take more pics tomorrow ~

The first photo in post #378 shows the gravity fill location into the fresh water tank which is behind the wheel well under the streetside bed. It's on the left. The city water connection is on the right (with all the SB fittings & the pressure gauge). The red & blue valves towards the back, as well as the small brass one at the "T" in the lines in the front, can be switched to use either city or the pumped tank water and to drain the tank. The fresh water tank vents through the 1/2" tube at the front top of the tank.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #383
3 Rivet Member

1959 18' "Footer"
Corpus Christi , Texas
Shari,
The workmanship & attention to detail is beyond reproach!
I really love the color of the birch cabnets and I admire your preserverance.
Cheers
Old 07-04-2009, 03:24 PM   #384
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Hi Shari,
I just ready your thread start to finish. My brother, Brad (FlyFshr). suggested I read it as I have just recently bought a 55 or 56 (unsure) Flying Cloud and he knew that I would encounter many of the same challenges. I was especially interested in how you were able to add black above and gray below the floor but still within the belly skin. You certainly do quality work and I have enjoyed your progress. Cheers.

Barry
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 11:54 PM   #385
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Overlander View Post
...It currently has no plumbking vent, so I will have to add one and routing it inside the outer wall would be a good way to keep it "invisible".
I had to "hide" a vent in my Ovelander when I moved one of the walls. Instead of putting it inside the shell, I "thermo-formed" the pvc pipe to fit exactly the wall curve, then put a 90 degree fitting at the top to go out through the original vent opening. It takes 10-15 minutes with a propane torch to get the PVC flexible enough, then you can bend it to fit (pulling on it a little as you bend it to prevent wrinkles on the inside radius). You have to keep the torce moving constantly along the intended bend length and around the circumference, to prevent browning the surface.

Zep
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #386
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62-Lander View Post
Hi Shari,
I just ready your thread start to finish. My brother, Brad (FlyFshr). suggested I read it as I have just recently bought a 55 or 56 (unsure) Flying Cloud and he knew that I would encounter many of the same challenges. I was especially interested in how you were able to add black above and gray below the floor but still within the belly skin. You certainly do quality work and I have enjoyed your progress. Cheers.

Barry
Congrats on the new trailer Barry! Glad our experience can give you some insight...let me know if you have any specific questions I can help you out with...but with Brad at your side (even long-distance), you probably won't need much more help - but I'm here if you need something.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-06-2009, 05:51 AM   #387
4 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Polk City , Iowa
Following this thread, there can't be many (if any) questions you couldn't answere. And yes, I pick Brad's brain on a regular basis! Cheers.
BarryIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #388
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
WooHooo! We had a very productive long weekend! We finished up a bunch of loose ends...
  • Gas lines are installed & tested - except to the heater which is next
  • Propane tanks are mounted
  • Twin Temp Jr. insta-heat water heater is installed and tested
  • Kitchen plumbing is done...all plumbing is 100%
  • All waste lines are completly installed
  • Kitchen light is installed
  • Fridge is cleaned painted tested & installed...works perfectly on gas, still trouble shooting electric
  • Kitchen cabinets are 100% complete...including countertops
  • Lower cabinet doors are installed
  • Upper cabinet sliders are in (we went with 3-Form panels)...LOVE 'em!
  • Closet is roughed in - just need to screw everything down
  • Bathroom door is sanded & finished with two coats...couple more to go
This week we'll get the closet installed and next weekend I will start the curtains & dinette cushions....I hope to have them done for the RMVAC Rally August 6th!

We took some pictures of our progress that I'll post tonight ~ the end is (finally) in sight...the beds, closet doors & electric "final connections (which go under the bed) are just about all that's left interior-wise, then it will be polish-time!

Shari

Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #389
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Below are a couple of pics of the Temp Temp Jr installation. We wanted to maximize the storage under the kitchen sink and yet still have the water heater there. So we built a slide out shelf that can be locked in place in the corner, yet when it slides out we can access all the connections behind it and remove the W/H if necessary. The two main reasons we decided to go with the insta-hot W/H are:
  • 1) we didn't want the extra weight of the water in the tank up front on the tongue
  • 2) we didn't want to have another big access panel on the side of the trailer - the Twin Temp vents through the floor

It's a tight fit - but it works great - hot water (as much as we want with hook-ups) close to the source...aaahhh!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4327.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	83536   Click image for larger version

Name:	4376.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	444.7 KB
ID:	83537  

Name:	4373.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	83538   Click image for larger version

Name:	4371.jpg
Views:	625
Size:	481.5 KB
ID:	83539  

Old 07-07-2009, 01:09 AM   #390
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Here's some more of the kitchen, appliances, translucent 3-form slider doors and the overall status...

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4377.jpg
Views:	1585
Size:	342.2 KB
ID:	83540   Click image for larger version

Name:	4386.jpg
Views:	1734
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	83541  

Name:	4387.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	83542   Click image for larger version

Name:	4388.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	465.5 KB
ID:	83543  

Name:	4389.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	415.0 KB
ID:	83544   Click image for larger version

Name:	4390.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	83545  

Name:	4391.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	83546   Click image for larger version

Name:	4392.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	83547  

Name:	4394.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	504.4 KB
ID:	83548   Click image for larger version

Name:	4393.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	83550  

Old 07-07-2009, 01:12 AM   #391
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Right now, we are finishing up the re-finishing of the bathroom door. This week we will be installing the curbside closet and making the dinette table. Hopefully by this weekend, I will get to start sewing the dinette cushions and drapes...the privacy will be nice!

Shari

Old 07-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #392
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
This is freaking gorgeous. I love the look, the colors, and all the hard work you put in.

I am hoping to see this trailer one day!

Steve
Old 07-07-2009, 07:08 AM   #393
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Beautiful work, Shari!

I really love the translucent doors on the overheads. I've been considering something similar on mine, as well as for a home project I'm working on. I know you linked the supplier (thanks!), but I was wondering if you kept a materials list of the proper hanging/sliding hardware so I know where to look? Also, did the supplier cut the doors to proper size, or did you do it on-site and if so, what is required to cut them?

Anyway, it's just beautiful. The neutral zolatone really sets off the warm woods. It looks so very reminiscent of what I imagine the original interior looked like, but with a nice touch of modernization as well. Lovely work.

-Marcus
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #394
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Oh, one other thing-- I really like the low-profile chrome lights that you used overhead and above the galley. Would you mind sharing your source for those, too? If you mentioned it earlier in the thread, sorry to bother you and just tell me to go look for it.

Thanks!
-Marcus
Old 07-07-2009, 07:40 AM   #395
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Beautiful work. The 3-Form U.S. headquarters is here in SLC and I have strolled their showroom many times. I'm considering replacing either a kitchen or bathroom window with a laminated glass product that has encased green reeds of grass.

I'm also trying to get my Caravel in tow-able shape to make the RMVAC rally.

Shari, would you please tell me which clubs I have to join and procedures I have to follow to be able to attend this event?

The last time I saw your trailer was in Albuquerque, I'd love to see the finished version,
you do such beautiful and meticulous work.

Sheridan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 AM   #396
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Steve & Marcus...we appreciate your kind words. Keeping true to the original design has been our goal...but of course we have to throw in a few updates.

Our slider door track is original - we just cleaned it up and re-installed it with new doors - see some of the early photos in this thread if you have any question as to why we didn't re-use our original doors! This sort of track is still available - it's just two u-channel tracks, the top one being deeper for a lift & drop installation of the doors. Here is one place to get something similar: Outwater Plastics the only difference being that ours has a vertical extension lip (instead of horizontal) so it is able to be riveted onto the side of the door opening rather than the top & bottom like is shown in the link. Like I said, ours is original so I didn't have to research a supplier - Outwater may even have it, just not show it in their catalog - call & ask, they are great.

The door material came in a 4'x4'x1/8" sheet and we cut it to fit ourselves. It was very easy to cut & drill, it's a resin not a plastic or Lexan product which tend to be more brittle Eco-Resin is pretty soft. If you are considering using it though, try to stick with the "Reclaim" offerings - otherwise it's pretty pricey - the open line offerings only come in 4'x8' sheets and start around $500 each. The door knobs were an ebay find - vintage NOS...love 'em!

The lights are easy - they came from Vintage Trailer Supply and come in different sizes - we used 3 of the 5-1/2" in the main body of the trailer and a 4-1/2" in the bathroom. They can be ordered here: Interior Lights They are a modern equivalent to one of the original fixtures - but obviously much cleaner.

Hope this helps ~

Shari
Old 07-07-2009, 08:01 AM   #397
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
Beautiful work. The 3-Form U.S. headquarters is here in SLC and I have strolled their showroom many times. I'm considering replacing either a kitchen or bathroom window with a laminated glass product that has encased green reeds of grass.
Pretty cool stuff, huh!? One of the "grass reed" patterns is the material that was used in the recent Quicksilver Bambi trailers...nice! I like the green reed pattern you mention - keep your eye out in the Reclaim section new items are added all the time.

Quote:
I'm also trying to get my Caravel in tow-able shape to make the RMVAC rally.

Shari, would you please tell me which clubs I have to join and procedures I have to follow to be able to attend this event?
We'd love to have you join us...the sign-up deadline is approaching quickly - Registration closes July 15th. All the info about the 2009 RMVAC rally and how to sign-up can be found here at index - hope you can make it!
Quote:
The last time I saw your trailer was in Albuquerque, I'd love to see the finished version,
you do such beautiful and meticulous work.
Yes, I do remember meeting you in ALB...we are getting closer to being "done" but I still think we will be a work in progress at the RMVAC rally...we hope to have everything but the beds complete - we'll see!

Shari

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 AM   #398
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Stunning work, Shari! Really like the slider doors--colors look just perfect.

Thanks for sharing your work with so many pics. Can't imagine how many of us get so many great ideas from what you've shown us.

cheers
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 12:26 PM   #399
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Thanks Steve & Marcus...we appreciate your kind words. Keeping true to the original design has been our goal...but of course we have to throw in a few updates.

Our slider door track is original - we just cleaned it up and re-installed it with new doors - see some of the early photos in this thread if you have any question as to why we didn't re-use our original doors! This sort of track is still available - it's just two u-channel tracks, the top one being deeper for a lift & drop installation of the doors. Here is one place to get something similar: Outwater Plastics the only difference being that ours has a vertical extension lip (instead of horizontal) so it is able to be riveted onto the side of the door opening rather than the top & bottom like is shown in the link. Like I said, ours is original so I didn't have to research a supplier - Outwater may even have it, just not show it in their catalog - call & ask, they are great.

The door material came in a 4'x4'x1/8" sheet and we cut it to fit ourselves. It was very easy to cut & drill, it's a resin not a plastic or Lexan product which tend to be more brittle Eco-Resin is pretty soft. If you are considering using it though, try to stick with the "Reclaim" offerings - otherwise it's pretty pricey - the open line offerings only come in 4'x8' sheets and start around $500 each. The door knobs were an ebay find - vintage NOS...love 'em!

The lights are easy - they came from Vintage Trailer Supply and come in different sizes - we used 3 of the 5-1/2" in the main body of the trailer and a 4-1/2" in the bathroom. They can be ordered here: Interior Lights They are a modern equivalent to one of the original fixtures - but obviously much cleaner.

Hope this helps ~

Shari
Fantastic, thanks for the help Shari. I still have my tracks as well, just didn't know if you needed a special one for this material. And, I should have known the lights were from VTS, I've perused them many times. But it's great seeing them in a real trailer installation, they look great.

Thanks,
-Marcus
Old 07-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #400
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Guess I didn't fully answer one of your original questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
Also, did the supplier cut the doors to proper size, or did you do it on-site and if so, what is required to cut them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
The door material came in a 4'x4'x1/8" sheet and we cut it to fit ourselves. It was very easy to cut & drill, it's a resin not a plastic or Lexan product which tend to be more brittle Eco-Resin is pretty soft.
We just used our Delta band saw with a fine blade, then sanded the edges smooth - it worked great. A table saw would work even better - less sanding would be required but we don't have one. We have some good Airstream friends that have let us use theirs for wall panels & such...but they were on the road to International and we were too inpatient to wait for their return.

Shari