Old 07-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #481
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
1968 17' Caravel
Leawood , Kansas
Bubba- Just to follow up on the Marinair unit, I called tech support there to see if it would work with a glycol radiator, and they said emphatically that others have tried it and it takes 500 GPH flow and it won't work with a radiator. Guess you could always back up to a lake with your firetruck pumping water to your trailer. LOL

docflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #482
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by docflyboy View Post
Bubba- Just to follow up on the Marinair unit, I called tech support there to see if it would work with a glycol radiator, and they said emphatically that others have tried it and it takes 500 GPH flow and it won't work with a radiator. Guess you could always back up to a lake with your firetruck pumping water to your trailer. LOL
Jerry thanks for the research update. We briefly looked at the Marinair units but havenít gotten into it deep enough. I think for me to just sit down with an engineer and discuss the possibilities would really help. If there were a split system designed for an rv, the market would be tremendous, considering how many units produced from all the manufacturers in a single year. These wouldnít be for vintage Airstreams, but all trailers made from all manufacturers. But thatís just me questioning why a marketable item has not been pursued. When we get back from our three day camp out, Iíll start back on our search for an AC currently on the market that will work for us. By the way, this morning I tried the fly fishing thing again. Did OK. Caught two mesquite limbs and a sycamore.

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:56 PM   #483
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
We thought about extending the tongue. To extend it to the length o would need to keep the tanks in from of the mini split condenser and have the required air flow, I would need to extend the tongue by about a foot. To reconfigure the tongue to give me that distance may look a bit out of whack. But that may wind up being the only option. Thanks

I extended ours 10Ē in order to put the tire up front rather than the previous adapter to install underneath, plus I get to use the cool tire cover now.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #484
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
There are units that are for AC/DC applications such as trains, mining and electrical stations where there isn't a motor nearby to run the compressor off of. They tend to be expensive and the engineering to make them work is out of my league.

Marine units are interesting, but since they use raw water their heat exchangers are small.

I'm going to rig my roof to accept a low profile unit in case I want to add one in the future. In the meantime I'm probably going to get a portable mini split unit like the ForestAir or something similar. I could use the same unit elsewhere when not used in the trailer. I could also more the unit fore and aft as conditions warrant. I'm sure things will change. If I get a roof top unit I'll paint or chrome plate the shroud. Maybe get an aluminum one made.

I see a whole new business opportunity for you Bubba. I can be a beta tester.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #485
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshawks00 View Post
I extended ours 10Ē in order to put the tire up front rather than the previous adapter to install underneath, plus I get to use the cool tire cover now.
Gilbert, thanks for the tip. I donít doubt in the least bit that Iím only aware of about 10% at most of whatís currently on the market. I just need to continue to follow up on leads I get from Forum members. Iím back from goofing off, so back to figuring this thing out. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:09 PM   #486
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Sorry Goshawks00, I was responding to 2BKidFreeís comments.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #487
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Goshawks00, when you extended your tongue, where did you cut it to extend? And the add didnít follow the same angle as the tongue section behind the extension, right? Thanks
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 PM   #488
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Bubba, what cool tire cover is that? Sounds interesting!

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #489
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Sorry Bubba: it was Goshawk's cool tire cover--so Goshawk, what cool tire cover is that?

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #490
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
Sorry Bubba: it was Goshawk's cool tire cover--so Goshawk, what cool tire cover is that?

Vivian
Vivian, itís called a Continental Kit. Jerry (Docflyboy) mentioned that to possibly hide/hide a condensing unit on the rear of a vintage.