Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Flying Cloud > 1950-1955 Flying Cloud
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Propane heater replacement

Hello, my name is John Young and I've recently purchased a 1954 Flying Cloud. The interior is all original, and I am cleaning it up and replacing wood doors etc. by copying what is there. It's a very masculine look, with reform school beaten metal hinges, no particular decoration at all, just made to sell to a WW2 vet whether his wife likes it or - well, she'll just have to like it or I don't love Lucy!

Anyway, I want to keep it as 1954 as I can. A carpenter who is replacing some of the woodwork for me told me that despite my attraction to the look of the heater grill by the door (I was going to get it powder coated), I should get a replacement heater. He says the new ones are far more efficient and safer, etc., and I suppose he's right.

I want to keep it in the same space, and keep using the chimney pipe with the little witch's hat on top because I find it utterly charming. If it has a cool grill that can contribute to the look of the interior in the spirit of the original grill, so much the better.

Has anyone done the homework to find a gas heater that would work well in a Flying Cloud, or at least in an application similar? I need to pick and purchase soon so that the carpenter can frame in around the new one's grill.

I am also going to have to find an AC/heat pump unit for the roof, it doesn't have one now, but that's for when I have an electric hookup. I still want a separate propane heater for when I'm on my own in a cold climate.

Thanks,
John
Bluejay1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
if you are going a/c you could add the type with heat pump built in to the a/c unit. For ours we rarely need heat, but for those times when we do we use a ceramic heater works great , can store away when not in use.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Thanks Goshawks, yes, I think the AC with the heat pump on the roof will be the way to go. But don't those operate off electricity? There will be times when I will be dry camping and won't be able to run the heat pump. That's what I'll need a propane heater for.

I am leaving the Navy civil service in a couple months on disability, owing to PTSD that's affecting my job. I'll be selling the house here in Florida because the mortgage won't shrink when my income does. At that point, probably by early fall, I plan to be living in my Airstream. I've loved tiny houses since I first heard of them, so this will be my next big adventure.

I plan to go to Canada and eventually live there permanently. Since I'll be on the road or in the woods as a matter of course, there's an excellent chance that funding will dictate a lot of boondock camping (no electric hook-up). I'd like to be able to go into town in the truck once or twice a week to refill my propane and get some groceries, then get through another few days in paradise.

Does your '54 still have the original propane heater? Or did you remove it at some point?
Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
You know that's a good question- it did have a wall heater, which we removed. I think it is out in a barn but I'm not sure.
Now then let me say- Thank you for your service to our country. I hope you have a full recovery from your PTSD.
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Several form members have installed Dickinson - Newport propane heaters in their trailers. Perhaps you could work one into the cabinet space of your existing heater and set the new chimney into the existing location?
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/n...ane-fireplace/

They also have a product called a Cozy Cabin Heater you might want to check out.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
should have said there is another product by SigMarine called Cozy Cabin Heater.
http://www.sigmarine.com/SIG-CCH.html

and a fireplace/heater similar to the Dickinson Newport
http://www.sigmarine.com/SIG-DVP.html
Old 04-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #7
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi There,

While the Cozy Cabin is definitely the "Happenin' Dude", I don't think any bulkhead heater will keep up with the poor insulative quality of an Airstream Trailer in a Canadian Winter.

That said, it's perfect for recreational camping. I am thoroughly enamored with it in every respect, appearance, dual-functionality with cook-top, size, camaraderie, non-electric, safety, economy... It's simply wonderful.

The following links to a Cozy Cabin install/review in a '68GT (20'-11" long)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f427...ew-126474.html

It would be a darling addition to your trailer, and wouldn't defy the vintage theme, but Over-Wintering in Canada, in an Airstreram is beyond a bulkhead heater's design.

Desolation and solitude can be found in warmer climes, your Tiny Tin House has wheels.

Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3035.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	283389  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Jacksonville , Florida
Guys, I appreciate the discussion and thought-provoking suggestions. I see your point that I would have issues in a Canadian winter, the doggy and I might be better off finding a cave and hibernating with some warm bears!

What about an RV furnace, maybe like this one:
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...tu-12vdc/88520

Any love for them?
I like that their rectangular shape seems like it would fit into my existing space, also I could run a little duct to the bathroom (which is on the back of the heater space) and keep the existing 1954 heater grill by the door, which I find so picturesque.

Also, for that size, I can get 20,000 BTU, which might actually make headway against really cold weather. I noticed the boat heaters were way less than that. I love the look of the Cozy Cabin, of course, especially the amazing kettle! I am a huge tea drinker. Very little place for it in my floor plan although I could mount it on the tall cabinet or the wall between the front-located kitchen and bathroom door, at the risk of lighting my wizard robe or kimono on fire. (I have strange tastes in fashion.)

Any experience with furnaces, good, bad, or ugly, like the movie?
Old 04-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
I don't know if they're safe or period correct to your trailer, but there are a couple Panel-Ray heaters on eBay today...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...eater&_sacat=0
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:18 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
Another knock on the Cozy Cabin is they don't work above 2,000'. As they're designed for sea level thiner air trips the O2 safety shutoff (unless you find the old kerosene version).
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote