Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Wider Twin Beds

I am going to purchase two custom mattresses and wonder if there is a way to make the twin beds wider. I do wish to keep the twin beds. Is there a way to reduce the size of the cabinet between the bed and how can I increase the size of the plywood base. Thanks for your suggestions
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Sure ~ anything is possible!

I'm not super familiar with the particulars ofthe 80's trailers, but Airstreams are all very simply built from a "kit of parts" and custom modifications are done all the time. I would imagine that the cabinet between the beds can be cut down or removed completely to accommodate wider twins. As far as the plywood, just use the old piece as a template and cut a new wider piece.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
When I had a Sovereign I had a plan to make the twins wider, or make one big sleeping area wall to wall. It would not be hard to do. What I had in mind was a bolster the length of the mattress, or 2, that would hook on the edge of the twin bed frame on one side and be supported by fold down legs on the center side. This would have the dual purpose of widening the twin(s) and being a backrest similar to a gaucho when not in use. I figured 6" was wide enough to walk to get to the bathroom. Or if the only sleeping area in use was this bed area it would be no big deal to climb out of the bed to answer the call. I sold the Sovereign before I did it.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:43 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
That's What I'm Doing, Too

My Sovereign had all the furniture stripped out of it when I got it, so I don't have to worry about removing the center nightstand. My plan is to build new twin beds to my desired width, then build a nightstand to fit the space between them. I live near a discount fabric store that sells any kind of foam you could want, so I plan to build my mattresses out of a 5" layer of dense foam, topped with at least 2" of memory foam. I'll cover them with some kind of ticking or other strong fabric. Have to build the platforms first, of course. The hardest part will be making the pattern. I just wish I were to that point! Have to fix the floor first.
licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
Thanks for the comments. I shall proceed.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote