Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1968 28' Ambassador
1964 17' Bambi II
Portland , OREGON
What kind of paint should I use for interior Airstream walls?

Hello,

I'm a little overwhelmed by how many paint options are out there on the market, and need help with recommendations for the interior paint and primer of my 1968 Airstream Ambassador.

My situation is a bit unique in the fact that I have stripped the vinyl from all the walls, and then sanded the bare aluminum down to 220 grates. my plan is to spray the paint on the interior for a smooth clean finish.

All of the interior walls are aluminum but the ends are both the original fiberglass endcaps. should I use a different paint for the difference in material?

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated!

thanks,
Megan
megan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
In our 66, we stripped the fur and cleaned. Then primed with Kilz Adhesive. We finished with Zolatone Flex, which is a roll on. In the 55, we also primed with Kilz Adhesive but this time we sprayed with Zolatone. I like the paint because it’s almost indestructible. There are multitudes of durable paints people use and are happy with the results. Good luck
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Bubba L does it right. But I'm kinda lazy. So I went to the Bengamin Moore store and purchased exterior paint suitable for aluminum windows. I cleaned my interior vinyl clad walls and rolled the paint on. It is supposedly flexible enough to take the expansion and contraction of aluminum with temperature changes. We shall see. Bubba L is shaking his head at this post.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2101 Painting Done Front-800x600.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	408983  
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Bubba L does it right. But I'm kinda lazy. So I went to the Bengamin Moore store and purchased exterior paint suitable for aluminum windows. I cleaned my interior vinyl clad walls and rolled the paint on. It is supposedly flexible enough to take the expansion and contraction of aluminum with temperature changes. We shall see. Bubba L is shaking his head at this post.

David
Not shaking my head David, you’re in the majority and I’m way down the minority list on paint choices. Nowadays quality and durability of most paints are far superior than they were twenty years ago. We will probably go with a brand name paint in the 63 Bambi I’m helping a friend renovate. I just wanted the 55 to look as original as I was capable of making it.
Bubba L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Central Coast , California
We sprayed the plastic end cap in the bathroom using automotive single stage urethane. Not an easy process but super durable once applied and nearly infinite color options. The paint supplier was able to custom match to the bathroom side walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E2B1B27E-F361-414F-86FB-0C3E636B9A12.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	409005  
StevenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I was just kidding. But I know you can "restore" old vintage Airstreams to look original. I have read that Zolatone paint is hard to apply. I've never tried it. I wonder when Airstream want to vinyl clad interior aluminum skins. The vinyl has held up very well on my 66 Trade Wind as will as my 75 Overlander. It is tough stuff and easy to clean.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Yes, any good quality interior paint today on a properly prepared and primed surface should do ok.

But for the following reasons, paint is not my ideal choice for covering Airstream interiors:

Any non-powder-coat paint or enamel on metal is susceptible over time to scratching and pealing, especially on the inside of a camper where scrapes and such are inevitable.

And while I like the look of bare aluminum, it's cold to the touch, especially at night in bed. Paint does next to nothing to alleviate this. The oft-reviled mouse fur and vinyl at least did much to help in alleviating the thermal transfer. Zolatone isn't as helpful, but I figure it's gotta be slightly better than mere paint.

The weight of paint and primer isn't much, but every ounce adds up and in a renovation, owners are sometimes shocked to discover their baby is now a ton heavier than before.

Before going to the trouble to paint everything, I would at least consider areas where thermal transfer might be an issue: around the beds, and explore alternate solutions such as fabric coverings, vinyl bumpers, etc. Aesthetics are one thing, but skin on ice-cold walls at night tends to reorder the priorities pretty quick.

Also consider the bath/shower areas and the mold and mildew issues there; likewise around and above the range and sink, behind, around and below the fridge, oven and microwave.

Good luck, have fun, and make your camper not only pretty, but fun to use, and easy on the labor needed to keep her that way.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We went over the vinyl in our '72, with Bondz primer, and then 2 coats of a good exterior paint. 11 years, cold winters, touch up occasionally. Durable and washable. Works for us.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 08:13 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
I have never painted an interior but in my opinion the shinier the paint on the interior the worse that it looks.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:05 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Providence Village , Texas
Not sure with the bare aluminum- however on the walls and end caps of our 76 Excella 500 - washed and lightly sanded with TSP cleaner then primed with XIM and painted with Sherwin Williams paint. To make sure the paint adheres well - this is a multi step process - and ensuring proper dry time is crucial.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
We went with Sherwin Williams extreme bond primer then top coat with sherwin williams Emerald exterior paint.
Three years and no problems.
Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Paint advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1410 View Post
We went with Sherwin Williams extreme bond primer then top coat with sherwin williams Emerald exterior paint.
Three years and no problems.
Greg
Having worked for Sherwin Williams for 17 years (left some time back), I want to suggest several things…
Aluminum requires latex paint. Doesn’t REQUIRE a primer if there’s good adhesion. Surface should be clean, sound and dry.

Remember that interior paint is considered washable. This is great for wiping clean, like around a sink or stove. People often complain that the paint comes off on the rag. This happens most if you use something that breaks down the top layer so be careful with any cleaner with ammonia or alcohol. Every wipe with a water damp rag removes a minute layer of paint, but if 2 coats are used you will have built up the layers to the required wash ability rating. (Read the label).

That being said, the walls of our AS can get very cold or warm and exterior paint flexes with temperature change. This is why it’s used outside. But, because it is a “softer” paint it doesn’t stand up to rag washing. Rain is expected to keep it clean or occasional pressure washing.

Bottom line is to choose wisely, interior paint if concerned with clean ability, exterior if flexibility is more of a concern.

Either way, spring for the best , think most expensive, grade of paint and it will spread better, cover better, and clean better. And, don’t forget, 2 COATS!
One Smith is offline   Reply With Quote