Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2004, 07:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Exclamation Veneer Disaster...can anyone help???

Early last week I veneered one of five doors that had the old plastic wood grain veneer. IT was too hard to remove the old veneer, so I sanded the door down, used the contact cement recomended by the veneer dealer, followed all of the rules, and ended up with a disaster.

I waited the alotted amount of time before adhering the veneer to the door. We used the J roller to compress the surfaces, and after two days, there was a bubble we couldn't get rid of. Then when I checked it around day five, the veneer had buckled EVERYWHERE!!!...The picture attached is dark, to show the bumps.

The cement container said that no additional pressure would be needed after rolling it the first time....

So.... how the heck to I get the veneer off to try again??? Does anyone know what might have gone wrong? I have to get this done, but terrified to continue with the four doors in the bedroom.

Thanks for any help.

Ron
Old 03-31-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
pic 1

Dark picture shows bumps, that can't even be rolled out at this point...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aa Veneerd door side by side airstreams 007 mini.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	5603   Click image for larger version

Name:	aa Veneerd door side by side airstreams mini.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	5604  

Old 03-31-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
EEEEWWWW!

Did you contact the dealer who sold the products and gave the advice? That's where I'd start.

BTW - were the humidity and temperature controlled while setting/drying?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
I didn't even think about the humidity....what an idiot. Last week the humidity was 100%...I'm screwed arent I???
Old 03-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2003 19' Bambi
Lincoln City , Oregon
Can you use a heat gun to soften the glue and remove the veneer?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

I guess making a pin hole, like they do in wallpapering, wouldn't work. I came across this website though.

http://www.oakwoodveneer.com/tips/hints.html

maybe it will help.
Old 03-31-2004, 08:08 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
You could sand them down and do it again............

Here is what I will guess happened. The door has a vinyl plastic laminate ( not like formica) on it from the factory. You mention sanding it. That is normally a good thing, but not really necessary with a contact style cement. In this case I would assume that in some spots the sanding cut through the plastic coating. The Glue that you used was likely solvent-based glue. This glue came in contact with the OEM glue and had a reaction AFTER the veneer was stuck to the old vinyl so the gas that was formed could not easily get out. If the glue used was water-based glue I don't think this would have happened.

The way to tell what kind of glue you have is based on the clean up instructions, water, or mineral spirits. If it says mineral spirits then it is solvent based. It could also have been a reaction between the solvent and the vinyl itself.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
What kind of backing is on the veneer, if any? There are paper, foil and laminate backers as well as veneers with no backing that need an underlayment. Since you are going over a laminate that you sanded i would recommend a laminate backed veneer. What kind of contact cement did you use? Depending on what type of backing, a heat gun and a putty knife work well for removing veneer that has not been down for too long. You can try cutting the bubbles with a razor blade following the direction of the grain and rerolling the area, apply some heat and see if it will lay down. If this works you may need to retrim the other side of the cut since now the veneer might lap.
Good luck,
Felix
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
The bubbles look pretty bad....

....it's hard to determine from just the photos, but I don't think that sanding is an option at this point.

The next step I would consider would be to minimize the voids (cut the bubbled areas out, or take them off with a really course belt sander), and scab a piece of 1/8" or 3/16" level-finish board over the exposed surface, and then install your laminate over the leveling board.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 07:29 AM   #10
Craftsman

Ron,
Was the glue coverage 100%, as ant even small areas that weren't may cause that area to swell, greating bubbles. Also on laminates you coat both surfaces before applying the finished surface. You can use brown paper or news paper betwee the two two surfaces to make your alignment. It wont stick to the glue as long as there is no pressure and the glue is dry, as it shoul b.Just slowly slip it out as you apply the veneer. It just helps to make sure your grain is truly running vertical before you reach that point of no return. And then of course roll everthing out.
jack
Old 04-01-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
Craftsman

My typing skills leave to be desired.
JACK
Old 04-03-2004, 10:06 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
Cool veneer woes

One of the problems you may have is the solvent in the contact cement may have disolved some of the old plastic laminate causeing it to turn loose.The only way I know to remove the new veneer is to scrap maost of it off with a sharp putty knife or a 1" wide wood chisel. You can use a stripper specifficaly for glue to remove it . I have found Bix to be one of the best. Try it on a small area first to determine if it will melt the plactic finish too. I would try to use a water base contact cement to glue the veneer down next time and if you use the water base you can do it inside if the label says non flammable.That will solve the humidity problem
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Thanks for all of the help, as always. I think I will try the water based cement first. The screwed up door is the only one in the kitchen area, the other four I have to do are in the bedroom. The screwed up one can be replaced if necessary, with a piece of plywood. It will be heavier, but I figure not too much to worry about since it's just one door.

I'll keep you all posted, off to work on the aluminum veneer inside........Hope that goes better LOL

Thanks again
Ron
Old 04-04-2004, 09:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin can luv
The screwed up one can be replaced if necessary, with a piece of plywood.
You might contact a salvage yard like Colaw's and sse if you can get an original style door for the replacement.

Better luck with the next doors!
Old 04-04-2004, 06:50 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
We'll be driving to Colaws in the next couple of weeks. I'll give it a llook see.

Looked everywhere for water based contact cement today. Finally found a place that will order it for me....we'll see. Moved on to veneering the walls with aluminum flashing, we'll see what that looks like in a few days......

Thanks as always,
Ron
Old 04-04-2004, 07:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

"We'll be driving to Colaws in the next couple of weeks. I'll give it a llook see."

The oldest thing at Colaws is a '79.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Well I took the plunge.

I rented a heat gun today, and the veneer came right off. Unfortunately, I decided to go one step further, and see how easily the old veneer came off. It was a bit harder, and I ended up with a much better surface to re-veneer. (what a waist of $68.). But the ends are super glued, and won't come off. I was able to get one little section off. So, I'm going to try sanding down the sides, at least to a more even area, so I can go right over what's still stuck on.

Word to the wise....Use gloves. Mine, like all of the other tools I own, are over in the A/S. So I went at it 'naked' . We now have blood and sweat. All that's left is tears, which I hope we DO NOT shead.

I'll keep you all posted.

I actually, finaly, found water based contact cement today, but since the solvent based didn't seem to be the problem, I may just stick with it.

Thanks guys!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	April 5 022.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	5719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blood and sweat.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	5720